Product Reviews Post your reviews on automotive and expedition-camping gear here

Wagner Thermo Quiet brake pads ARE NOT QUIET ~ Federal Mogul denies the issue.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wagner Thermo Quiet brake pads ARE NOT QUIET ~ Federal Mogul denies the issue.

Claim#2012-004801 Wagner Thermo Quiet brake pads are NOT at all QUIET and Federal Mogul does not stand behind their pads if you have an issue. Spring 2012 I purchased Wagner Thermo Quiet pads for my 2004 Honda CRV from O’Reilly Auto. Within approximately 30 miles following installation, I began to experience an intermittent single audible clunk noise when I would first apply the brakes. This could be during a very slow roll out of the garage. Over time I noticed the loud clunk would occur once in forward and not again till reverse and then not again till forward. The pad install was checked and confirmed fine. I spoke to salesman James at O’Reilly regarding this issue more than once. He was also puzzled by the issue, but admitted they do occasionally have issues with Wagner brake pads. Following ongoing complaints from my wife and passengers, with approximately 3,000 miles on these pads, I took the vehicle to a Honda service center. The mechanic found the Wagner Thermo Quiet brake pads to be the problem. The mechanic took me back to the garage to show me the slight play in the pads and he duplicated the loud audible noise which amplified through the brake rotors. In forward, applying the brakes did in fact move the pads down with sudden movement and noise. In reverse, applying the brakes did in fact move the pads up with sudden movement and noise. The mechanic explained the cause of the noise issue and showed me the pad length which is slightly shorter than the Honda OEM brake pad. I had the mechanic replace the Wagner Thermo Quiet pad with the OEM Honda pad and he showed me the play was clearly gone, as is the noise. I’ve driven over 7500 miles since the pad replacement and have had no issues what-so-ever. Braking is quiet once again with the Honda OEM brake pads. O’Reilly filed a labor claim with Federal Mogul, however Tom incorrectly stated “after 3000 miles they started to be loose” on the claim. When in fact I had driven approximately 3000 miles before the pad replacement. Richard Kolb at Federal Mogul, the manufacture of the Wagner Thermal Quiet brake pads, declined the labor claim stating “The pads were measured and appear to meet manufacturing specifications of 5.575” length and .665” mounting ear width.” “As the problem encountered cannot be attributed to a product defect this claim is denied.” I personally saw the notable difference in length and I witnessed the duplication of the amplified clunk noise caused by the slight up and down movement of the Wagner Thermo Quiet pad due to its shorter length. The OEM Honda pad does not have the play in its pad and the OEM Honda brake pad is truly quiet while WAGNER THERMO BRAKE PADS ARE TRULY NOT QUIET. In conclusion, Federal Mogul has issues and problems with their brake pads. DO NOT BUY WAGNER THERMO QUIET brake pads.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Old 11-19-2012, 06:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OP, why is your first post about Honda pads on a Toyota forum? Seems you would be better served on a Honda forum.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:39 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Next time...don't go out and buy the cheapest brake pads you can find. And then expect them to perform like OEM.

Wagner Thermo Quiet? Like I'd ever put that crap on any of my vehicles anyway...AS IF!!!
Old 11-19-2012, 06:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
mudhippy...I was expecting a chart or diagram from you. Im disappointed.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:14 AM

I don't believe in any of that marketing crap. Same with ceramic pads...really? why lose stopping power to have shiny wheels for 2 more days? I just changed my rotors and pads to semi-metallics from brakeperformance.com and they are great. Not as cheap as ebay rotors, but they aren't noisy and have a very predictable pedal modulation.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:02 PM

i have ceramic thermo quiets...no complaints from my v6 vented brake upgrade.
now duralast ones on the other hand...
Old 04-25-2020, 11:02 PM

100% Right! Glad I'm not the only one on a different type of car made in Japan.😁

I have a Subaru 2015 Wrx and currently have these pads on ! I've had them for almost 2 year's! I'm 43 and been doing brakes since I was 16! I knew the moments after I went to the car wash after a few times and the high pressure touchless wash blew some of the lube out of the pads so then I knew from the noise they had way to much play !!!! When I drove over mild bumps I still hear a clunk noise like the pad is banging on the Metal hardware clips the pads rest on and slide on! I was just driving a few minutes ago and I hear them! Also like you said when you reverse after parking and then drive forward you can hear a Clunk! Or loud Click as if the pad is Shifting position! BTW the way they are not Cheap pads when I first bought them they happen to be the older type at 50 +tax and then then the updated newer version came out and 75+ tax ! They do stop good Besides the noise ! The next time my brakes are done They will be done so I can have actual quiet Oem's again! Another thing I noticed is they make your rotor's hot ! When I bought my car new I could put my fingers on the actual rotor and it was barely warm!!! With the Thermal ! 🔥 Ouch! That all being said they eat your rotor's! This is how most auto parts get everyone who thinks they are getting a lifetime warranty! More like a lifetime of headache's! Ceramic pads leave many grooves so in turn your buying rotors and the second brake job if not earlier depending on how you brake!!! Oem are the Best way to go Period! ( Instead of the dealer for any parts just Google whole warehouse for your car and you can get it a bit cheaper shipped to your door ! Warranty or not! Some brands out there are really Good but Clearly your going to pay! To be Straight up they shouldn't be selling parts don't at least don't fit right to Begin with especially claiming they are Quiet! Seems like a Safety issue when your pads and moving to much !Very loud indeed! Stay safe and Bless everyone dealing with this Virus ! 🤙

Last edited by WrxGod; 04-25-2020 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Just wanna add he didn't pay for the labor cause that would be admitting something is wrong and imagine how many people have the same issue! I'll be your witness and give them a Call!