Product Reviews Post your reviews on automotive and expedition-camping gear here

Trailhead automatic tire deflators

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailhead automatic tire deflators

Description:
These all-metal deflators are screwed onto your valve stem and will let out air until the preset pressure is reached. You can actually drive while they are on. Good flow rate. 100% made in the USA.

Two models available for pressure ranges; each available in choice of three colors (red/blue/natural).
5-20 psi
15-40 psi

Comes with lifetime warranty. And you can reach the manufactures on the phone!

Manufacturer's webside: http://www.trailheaddeflators.com.

Available at many stores. I bought mine at All Things Jeep (http://www.allthingsjeep.com/automat...um-finish.html) and I have found they have good prices and customer service.

Review:

Each deflator is preset to a particular stopping pressure, within a range. You can adjust the pressure with an allen key, but it's the type of thing you want to do once, at home, and forget about it, not in the field. They seem quite accurate, once set. I bought two sets, in different colors -- one for backcountry washboard roads (15-40psi) and one for rock-crawling (5-20psi). From the factory, I think they came set at 20 and 12 psi.

Knowing I wanted to get these, I got angled valve stems (from Summit Racing) when I got new tires. They'd stick out a bit if you had regular, straight stems, but so long as you have rubber stems, I don't see that they'd but a problem even if you hit a branch or something. However these things air down so quickly, that if I'm going down from 37 to 20 on my 33x10.5s, by the time I get the last one on, the first one is about done.

They have a simple (read: reliable) all-metal construction and can be disassembled and cleaned if you ever drop them in the sand or otherwise get something in there that will prevent them from turning off when the stop-pressure is reached. I had exactly this issue on one of the deflators on my first run - the air slowed when it reached the stop-psi but didn't stop the air completely. Since it was the first time I used it, I sent it back for warranty service. One of the guys at Trailhead called me on the phone and said there was a tiny bit of plastic that got lodged inside and that it looked like it had come through the valve stem. He took his time talking to me and told me how easy it is to open these up and clean/blow them out, but that I could send them in anytime if I preferred. And that if I call, usually one of the fellas that actually builds them will answer the phone. They were new tires that sat in my garage for 3 weeks while I waited for my backordered rims to arrive, so I believe he's right that there was something in the tire that got blown into the deflator. But he sent them back (free) and it works fine now.

I really enjoy using these, they are so convenient and work exactly as they should. Saves my back the ache and they're faster than using a pressure gauge or key, or even a valve-stem remover if you're trying to be accurate (e.g. have auto-lockers).

One note is that they need a certain pressure in the tire before the things turn on, so if you deflated down to 18 and put on a deflator set at 12, they won't turn on. Around 9psi difference, I think. I'm currently using 21 and 9 and they do work with these settings. Maybe I'll run a test and update this post.

Bottom line is these things are great. Highly recommended. I can't imagine a field-adjustable model for more money being worth it. I expect them to last a lifetime.

Last edited by HappyCamper; 08-06-2012 at 11:41 AM.