Product Reviews Post your reviews on automotive and expedition-camping gear here

Oil Filter Relocation Kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Filter Relocation Kit

I just came across this kit...

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Performan...FWdo7Aod6XwALA

Seems like it would be a great item to have! I dont know if theres a better trick to removing the filter without getting oil everywhere? Been doing it sloppy for so long that ive never inquired an alternative. I know that wrapping a rag around it while unscrewing only seems to get most of it! I once tried to use a scrap peice of aluminum flashing as a trough. Kinda worked. My old 98 tacoma wasnt AS bad as the 94's upside down filter ive been dealing with lately. And since im going to swap the 3.0 very soon and be back to the 3.4 ways id still like to have a better method than i use to have with the 98. I've never heard of (or seen) such a thing. I searched this site and the only thing "close" was a member selling one designed to fit a different type of vehicle that he moded to fit his rig. Obviously youll have to add more oil. (Believe the description even states that?) Comes in either single or dual filters!

I guess what im fishing for is seeing that ive never heard of them is there a known problem? More of a risk to leak oil? Maybe throw off your oil pressure gauge? Maybe even something more obvious that im not thinking of?
Has anybody ever installed one of these or know someone who has that can give some feedback? Im interested!
Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old 06-23-2013, 06:23 AM

This is only what I've heard from people up here is to stay away from the cast aluminum stuff cuz they leak( like transdapt). I installed a system on my truck, but I haven't finished the engine yet, if your gonna do it though, do it right so it won't leak

Name:  908DA0EE-319E-4759-962A-BF25376C6AC9-3268-000004928EB0DC98.jpg
Views: 1268
Size:  242.5 KB

Name:  A950ABE7-CCF1-4AF5-B532-DA9BD09D6B01-2079-000002A8205258F9.jpg
Views: 1320
Size:  162.5 KB

Mine was less about filter relocation as it was about adding more oil capacity, but where it is now I don't have to worry about oil drain back and I should be able to get to the filters easily. Hope this helps!

And I just got the kit off eBay, the threads are the same as a ford truck, 3/4"x something, just look it up and then if you can find a nice system marketed for a 22re you can get it for something else.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:33 AM

Sweet! Thanks for the heads up! Thats the exact info im looking for. I just did an ebay search and came up with a few other options. Theres even an outfit called Godspeed that sells a 10 row oil cooler with relocation kit. There description says its a "Must have for turbos, superchargers, high performance vehicles" Probably just a selling point. But it has me thinking since the truck im considering this kit for will be superchargered is this a good idea. Or overkill and an additional waste of money? Thoughts?
Old 06-23-2013, 07:54 AM

Well, I'm actually rebuilding my 22rte with a t3 turbo, that's oil cooled only. Turbos degrade oil a lot quicker than non turbo engines( and I'm sure superchargers aren't a whole lot better ) just that the oil is used as a lubricant and also to cool your engine and forced induction. I'm not sure if the supercharger would actually use the engine oil like turbos , but either way, forced induction will raise your combustion temps, and your engine could use some extra cooling.

I added the oil cooler and dual filter to 1) cool oil 2) add more oil to the system, more oil means the oil will stay a little cooler and also hopefully prolong oil life and 3) cuz I thought it would look pretty cool! Haha

I would say that it definitely can't hurt anything, if your in a hot climate I'd say its an even Better idea, specially with the supercharger.

Again I hope this helps and if you want to toss around ideas or anything just let me know!
Old 06-23-2013, 10:21 AM

It really does help. Thank you again! Like i said before, my original thought was just to keep from getting oil everywhere. It seems like there is more of a "mechanically sound" logic to having one and the convenience that i was foremost wanting is just the added bonus. Makes alot more sense now.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:34 PM

I realize this is a kind of an old thread...but wouldn't this help prevent the timing chain tensioner failure issue? The problem is, the chain tensioner works off the oil pressure in the oil galley, and having a large oil filter takes longer to fill up...especially since it's tilted to drain out after sitting for a while. Relocating the filter seems it might almost completely eliminate this issue. I honestly wonder ...hmmm...