Product Reviews Post your reviews on automotive and expedition-camping gear here

Dual Exhaust

Old 12-04-2005, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dual Exhaust

Im wanting dual exhaust for my 02 V6 Taco, now im wanting headers and exhaust.

Peformance wise what should i go with?

Im looking at JBA Headers, should i even bother with JBA..

I can't find Borla Dual Exhaust kits of my truck so how would i go about running dual exhaust ?

If this was your truck, how would you go about doing this........ or would you even go with dual, i like the look of dual too.. Tell, me What would be best Performance Wise.....
Old 12-04-2005, 02:36 PM
Contributing Member

Performance wise, all exhausts are the same. They might add a little un-important power, but exhaust mods are mostly "sound" mods. Headers can increase hp and for the 3.4L there is not really a difference between one header or another, there is only quality. See: http://www.gadgetonline.com/Exhaust.htm.

I would also look into if it's even possible to put a "real" dual exhaust system in your truck. I know that in 3rd generation 4Runners, the spare tire gets in the way, so it's either get rid of the spare or just have a dummy pipe. Tacomas might be different though.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always liked the pipes to come out at the rear corners....like this: /\ kinda....i don't know anything about whats good for so new of a truck, Borla is always good, but it is expenisve.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:00 PM

Very true, Borla is good but Very expensive,

Now if i bought Borla Exhaust, or if i wanted Borla and wanted to run it dual, what would i ahve to do?
Old 12-04-2005, 04:24 PM
Contributing Member

i have the same truck and did magnaflow with a y so it comes out on the driver side like it does on the passanger, also did a high flow cat to get a little deeper sound. i had to get a fabtech bed mount because i could not have a tire under there and dual pipes. it looks good though.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bamboo89
Now if i bought Borla Exhaust, or if i wanted Borla and wanted to run it dual, what would i ahve to do?
Marko mentioned your first step above... See if you can even physically fit dual exhausts under the truck.

Past that... decide what "dual" means to you:
  1. Single cat, single muffler, one real/one fake tail pipe
  2. Single cat, single muffler, twin tails
  3. Single cat, twin mufflers, twin tails
  4. Twin cats, twin mufflers, twin tails
If you're gonna run twin everything, you could have an issue with how the O2 sensors (or A/FR & O2 sensor) work. You will have to wire things up on just one side, but you ever got into a spot where the opposite bank was running rich/lean, the ECU would never know about it.

Option #3 (Single cat, twin mufflers, twin tails) will be the easiest in terms of dealing with the ECU and still give you "real" twin tails.

Don't let an exhaust shop talk you into running larger pipe. The 3.4L wants to see some backpressure and the stock pipe size of 2.25" is designed to provide sufficent pressure given that BOTH banks are feeding it. If you run pure dual, then you'll probably want to REDUCE the pipe size to 2".
Old 12-04-2005, 04:42 PM
Contributing Member

ya, i dont have true dual, im #2 on marks list-
Old 12-04-2005, 05:57 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First - do you have a CA model with dual cats? If so, then you're all set for a true dual system, which will show a significant performance increase. IMHO, as long as you only have one cat, you may as well only have one exhaust. You could do a true double system with a crossover pipe after the cats where you mount the O2 sensor.

I totally disagree with Marko. There is a HUGE difference in header design, not just quality. The best headers have the lengths very carefully matched to optimize the scavenging effect. Different mfgs will tune them to different points empasizing low or high end power. The cheapest ones just use whatever length happens to work.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:54 AM

CA model? I have the single side exit exhaust, I want to run the Single cat, twin mufflers, twin tails, or the single cat, single muffler and twin tails,
Old 12-05-2005, 09:47 AM

CA model?
You'll need to look under the truck... Count the number of "things" in the exhaust piping from the "Y" pipe back. Do you have two (cat, muffler) or three (cat, cat, muffler)?

btw.. headers on a N/A engine won't do anything for you except drain your wallet. It's a waste of time & money. Wait until you move to a S/C or turbo, HEN put on headers.

Last edited by midiwall; 12-05-2005 at 09:48 AM.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:12 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by midiwall
btw.. headers on a N/A engine won't do anything for you except drain your wallet. It's a waste of time & money. Wait until you move to a S/C or turbo, HEN put on headers.
Roger that.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:13 AM

Its just one cat. yeah just one cat.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:26 AM

Its just one cat. yeah just one cat.
Good, that'll keep things simpler.

Okay, so the first question you/we need to deal with is "do you still want to run headers"? If you're looking at moving to a turbo or S/C in the next 4-6 months, then it makes sense, but anything more than that, then you're wasting a LOT of money ($1000 or more by the time it's done).

Second question is "one muffler or two"? Two mufflers MIGHT (your bottle neck will still be the cat) free-up some exhaust flow, but again, without more air coming in up front (turbo or S/C) then there's no reason to care. Also, you may not have the room under the truck to stuff a 2nd muffler. (the reason the exhaust runs down the passenger side now is 'cause there's a gas tank on the driver's side).

So the third question, (once we talk you into just one muffler) will be the twin tails. Again, "do you have room"? There's a bit easier of a path from the muffler to the back end (or side, or opposite side) but there's still some stuff in the way. If you're looking for twin tails out the back, there's a spare tire blocking the easy path.

Thoughts and ponderings?

Last edited by midiwall; 12-05-2005 at 10:28 AM.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:28 PM

Twin Tails, one muffler, :-D i like the look of twin
Old 12-05-2005, 09:35 PM
Contributing Member

i love my twin tails, i had two cats, replaced them with one highflow magnaflow one size up from my pipe size. im happy w/ it.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:52 PM

Twin Tails, one muffler, :-D i like the look of twin
Okay, then your next step is to make sure that you can route twin tails. Jeff (HutchsTaco) has done it... I think he'll be your source for routing.

Have fun!

(oh, and did we/I talk you out of headers? )
Old 03-27-2006, 07:37 AM

Hey bamboo89;

If you need an idea on an option for dual Exhaust?? Take a look at my current set-up!!
I think you have a little more room for the tail pipes on your Taco then my Runner so I think you can get away with leaving your spare in!!
I'm running single cat, Dual outlet muffler, two tail pipes!!
Soon i'll be making it "true" dual exhaust with headers, 2 cats, 2 mufflers, 2 tail pipes!!

Good Luck and keep us posted!!
Old 07-24-2011, 04:47 PM

I have a dual tip setup on my taco and it's welded to a 1-in-2 out magnaflow muffler. I had a muffler shop do the instal for me and the guy who did it had the same thing on his 97 taco and loves it; so I had him do the same thing to my 02. He basically used 2'' pipe after the muffler and then did the exits with 3'' stainless tips. Not a true "dual exhaust" but it sounds great, no dummy pipes and I still have my spare tire in the stock spot. i put on some attachments, so hopfully it went through

Dual Exhaust-pc140003-edited.jpg

Dual Exhaust-pc140006-edited.jpg

Dual Exhaust-pc140009-edited.jpg