Product Reviews Post your reviews on automotive and expedition-camping gear here

Bestop Supertop Review

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bestop Supertop Review

So I have had my Bestop Supertop for a little over a month now and thought that I would write about my likes and dislikes, now that I have had some time to not only get used to it but, also to find what things I like about it and the things I don't.
What I like is that it folds down and out of the way in just a few minutes and it only takes one person to do it. This is great when you have to haul a tall item that won't fit with the top on or, when you're on a narrow trail and you don't want tree branches and brush tearing at the fabric or scratching the windows.
The negative side to that is, in order to take the top down the windows must be unzipped and stored. Having a Jeep with a soft top as well, I know now that these vinyl windows must be handled with loving hands or else you won't be able to see much through them in a couple years, so they need a safe place to be stored which is not always readily available to me.
I was not counting on this top to keep my things 100% dry, and it doesn't. It does have a tendency to leak at the corners, but only a little.
I like the fact that I can remove the back and side windows. On a sunny day it is nice to have shelter from the direct sun and not be baked out, as it allows a breeze to blow through.
I don't like the belt rail system for the windows. My left window seems to only be attached by the zippers because the belt and rail don't line up well on that side. Also if I unzip the back window, even just slightly to access my bed, the belt and rail become disconnected and I have to reattach it. It was really really annoying at first, but now I've gotten better at reattaching it. You can almost do it like a zipper.
So far the zippers are fine, but I know on soft tops eventually they like to get stubborn and seize up, and last weekend we took a trip to Oregon's high desert and they were a little stiff from the dust.
Also I was told by Bestop that you could still access the rear sliding window. This is not altogether true. You can, only if the top is folded down. Perhaps I didn't phrase my question to them clearly enough.

So out of a possible , I'd rate it a solid .
So far it suits our needs fine, but I've got gripes about it too.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:56 PM

Bestop

Thanks for the review. How easy/hard would it be to completely remove the top from the truck bed ( if you wanted)?

thanks, rt
Old 04-04-2008, 04:04 PM
Contributing Member

Fink
Old 04-05-2008, 12:52 PM

What ever you do don't bother mounting the 3rd brake light they give you. Both the original and the replacement they gave me broke. The cheap plastic mount cannot handle any vibration. You should also get some 303 Aerospace. It helps maintain the top well.

Scott
Old 04-06-2008, 12:03 PM

So here's one pic for now. I'll post some more once I fold it down again, but the weathers ugly right now.

Name:  miscpics1065.jpg
Views: 3038
Size:  62.6 KB
Old 04-11-2008, 11:13 AM

Nice review. I've had my Bestop for around 18 months now, and its still holding up well. The zippers and vinyl tend to get stiff when its cold outside, but as I recall from last summer, things loosen and stretch in the summer. Overall, the price, the weight savings and the versatility all make this a great product.

And I couldn't agree more with smathis about the 3rd brake light. I've been through 3, and finally gave up. I'm sure I could find something better in the aftermarket space and wire it up, but for now I am without.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:47 PM

Thanks for the write up and info. I just ordered one for my '88 (well, actually ordered the 89 model, but a six foot bed is a six foot bed either way, the dimensions are the same)....looking forward to getting mine on the truck.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:21 AM

I must add this to the mix. There are some elastic loops and straps that I still have no idea what the heck they're used for. The only straps I use are the compression straps with the buckles. It would have been nice to have them explained in the directions. Perhaps it will present itself in the future, or does anyone else know?
Old 04-25-2008, 05:35 AM

I believe at least a couple of the hoops would be for rolling up the back window, and threading it through the straps to hold it up and out of the way. Another alternative to completely removing the back window panel.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:12 AM

Yeah, I always just remove the window because when I try to slide it into the loops the plastic channel at the top of the window pops out and so it's pretty much removed then anyway. No biggie though, and I suppose that storing it in the loops means you don't have to find another safe place for it. Do you have any idea what the straps with the plastic tabs, located on the sides, are for?
Old 04-25-2008, 05:50 PM

I just put mine on today...love it. The straps with the tabs on the end that you put over the front bows are for holding the bows together when you take the top completely off the truck. At least, that's what my instructions said they were for. The other two elastic straps that you put on the rear bow are for rolling up your rear window so you don't have to take it out all the time if you want the back open. Of course, as you already know you have to take off the back window to fold the top...but for trails it's far more convenient to just roll up that back window, and then only worry about where to put the side windows.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:10 AM

Ya know, I'm beginning to think that I might have been missing some instructions.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:47 AM

Comparo's?

First off. Nice truck!
Looking to get a Tacoma for my next vehicle. 237k on my 4Runner. Bought it new, the miles are all mine!

Anyway... Just wondering if you did any mfr. comparison research before deciding on the Bestop Supertop?
The Can-Bak isn't an option for me. ($$$$$)

But, the SofTopper looks pretty good as well. (And, maybe a little easier on the install....nice showing of the process on their web site.)

Just wondering any +'s or -'s to Bestop vs. SofTopper.

Like that they're both outta' Colorado though!

Thanks!
Old 05-13-2008, 11:57 AM

I agree - they are pretty similar. For me, it came down to the additional windows on the Bestop. I wanted to maintain visibility as much as possible, and figured that the additional windows could help with that. Plus, I get more light during the day when I'm loading/unloading cargo.

This was all before I bought it of course. Visibility pretty much sucks, and it's really hard to see when you are backing up, especially at night. But in either case the beauty of the soft top design is that it can easily be removed or folded when you don't need it.

As far as installability goes, it may be that the Softopper is easier, but I'd rate the Bestop as a very easy install as well, so its a wash.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:27 AM

This thing sucks

I've had the super-top for 4 months now and it's garbage. Its a really cool concept but ultimately doesn't hold up to the real world.
I guess if your in a warm climate it might be OK but if you ever get it cold it crumbles, the plastic is thin and get brittle and cracks. The rear section snapped in half and developed a couple fist sized cracks overnight on the sides in 25 degree weather which isn't that cold. Bestop response is your SOL, buy some new pieces at 100 bucks each plus shipping. That customer service you can believe in. I guess when your a factory supplier it doesn't matter if you stand behind a product or not.
Attached Thumbnails Bestop Supertop Review-img_0183.jpg   Bestop Supertop Review-img_0184.jpg  
Old 06-08-2015, 04:48 PM

I considered Bestop as one of the brands i'm looking at. I'm planning to buy a new soft top for my ride; and based on the feedback you guys said, I think it's a good buy. Thanks!