Product Reviews Post your reviews on automotive and expedition-camping gear here

AutoEnginuity OBDII system

Old 04-16-2010, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AutoEnginuity OBDII system

I have had the AutoEnginuity Proline product with Enhanced Toyota modes for just about a year now, and wanted to make others aware of a significant shortcoming. I am also upgraded to their latest software and firmware as of 2 days ago.

My 04 V8 Limited 4Runner is pre-CAN and subject to the zero point calibration being erased by code readers attempting to connect/detect CAN. At least according to the Toyota TSB "VSC LIGHT ON - DTC C1203" as listed on the 2003 models.

This particular TSB has all the info necessary to manually (I used two paper clips) access Test Mode to reset the sensors and clear the VSC TRAC and VSC OFF lights.

AutoEnginuity claims to support this feature on their website:

System Tests:

* Air Bleed -- Usual and Master Stroke (ABS)
* ECB Utility -- ECB Invalid, Zero Down, and Linear Valve Offset Calibration (ABS)
* Signal Check (Airbag, ABS, ABS CAN, EFI CAN, EHPS, EMPS, and TPWS)
* Reset Memory (EFI, EFI CAN, ABS, ABS CAN)
* Clear Records (EMPS and VGRS)
* Zero Point Init (EMPS)
* Sensitivity Check (OCC)
* Inspection Mode (ABS CAN)
* Test Mode -- Zero Calibration (ABS, ABS CAN, TPWS, and OCC)
But this feature DOES NOT WORK on this model. Instead, is just causes the VSC and ABS lights to flash, but does not initiate the test mode for recalibration. It simply says, "Not supported" or some similar message.

I have contacted their support team after successfully completing the reset using the steps outlined in the 'manual' section of the TSB, but they are unconcerned.

Instead of a responsible reply, I got some BS responses. See some excerpts below.

-Sorry this is NOT a software issue.
-Yes, this feature is not broken because at the body shop (*****—second largest in the US) we have cars lose their charge every day
-Our support can help you resolve issues with the tool but not service-related issues
-we have 8K Toyota enhanced and we have no issues with this feature
-That feature is working and was never broke. Sorry, I use it every day at the body shop
This IS a problem with the tool, as for this year/model and some others, it does NOT work, in part because it does not follow the shunting as outlined in the TSB.

I sent them a link to another user who posted the exact same problem with this feature not working, but still got the above statement that, "we have no issues with this feature."

Apparently this "tech" does not use it on this make, year and model.

Bottom line?

1. If you're trying to use this feature in AutoEnginuity and it isn't working, it isn't a problem with you or your vehicle. It's a problem with the AE Proline system, which they are ridiculously denying.

2. Search for the TSB I mentioned above and follow the last few pages, where the manual steps are to fix this problem

3. If you ever request support from this company, you may find they first wish to deny there is a problem, then try to convince you that you imagined the problem because *they* don't have a problem with *different* (obviously) make, year and model vehicles, and really have no interest whatsoever in even admitting there is a problem, let alone addressing it.

4. I won't be holding my breath expecting this to be fixed anytime soon.

This is why I'm posting this situation/problem here, to warn others about this bug so they don't have to endure the same frustration I have.

If we're lucky, maybe someone at the company who actually cares about their customers and image will read this and either a)fix the issue or b)slap the nimrod who sent me those ridiculous replies, or c)all of the above! :p

Can I say, "AutoEnginuity Proline is a waste of money" ? Well, the jury is still out on that one. I have some other things to do with it before I can make that call.

It did pull an enhanced transmission code from my Chrysler and showed me the waveforms of my rear O2 sensors, so it isn't all bad

It does have some interesting features. It's just a shame the first one I tried to use didn't work, and I was unfortunate enough to find a "tech" with an ego problem

Last edited by DiskDoctr; 04-16-2010 at 12:14 AM.