Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

Yorkshire recce day, UK

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yorkshire recce day, UK

i've just copied my post on another forum so you guys can see what we get up too over the pond.

No apologies, bit this is going to be a long post. took over 500 pics today. and a laugh from start to finish, Great work jamie and ben!!

well we have just got back from a fantastic day oop north with Jamie, Doodles and Jimbo. What a great day, and some awe inspiring views over the moors.

we started up at 4 this morning, waking clare with a stick from a resonable safe distance and coxing her out of bed with a hot cuppa, left the house at 5 and met up with Jimbo on the A50 out of Stoke, and my front nearside wheel bearing starts to make a lovely rumbling noise in reverse... But hey ho and on we go. flying up to Derbyshire to meet chris on the M1 services and the further up to Ferrybridge and meet up with Jamie and pop into the services for a warm pee and some Breakfast..

Now i have travelled extensively, far and wide.. but never on all my travels have i paid 4 pounds for one bacon sandwich! i nearlly passed out at the till, and had to hold back violent urges when they charged me extra for brown sauce!!!! but i managed to put it behind me, and never mentioned it again all day.

We managed to choke down the sandwich that hadn't even got butter on(!) and joined up in convoy further up into gods country

with some cracking banter on the CB all the way up, we travelled about an hour and a half further up into deepest yorkshire, and i restrained myself from complaining about the price of my sandwich all the way, and we finally reached the first lane of the day. no idea where it is but im sure the others will be along with all the details. but WOW what a cracking lane!! right from the start theres a rock step to navigate, and even in my incredible machine, i needed 4 wheel drive. i was just testing it when i got stuck in 2 wheel High. Honest

Right up into the mist, with not a bobbly or another vehicle in sight. just lots of sheep and some waterfalls. really peaceful. and so much standing water it would have been rude not to break the tranquility with some spectacular camel trophy moments! Barb would have loved this lane.

finished on this lane, and had a much needed brew, and a brief discussion about how i hadn't even once mentioned the bacon sandwich, and off through a small village and down to the second lane. and again jamie and ben had done us proud. Clare was driving at this point and this was her first really 'serious' lane. 3 river crossings and one huge side slope. some cracking changes in direction needed to keep the transfer box from grounding out. full of rocks. in short a great lane, and one we will be doing again! Clare Did great going down here, really proud of her. and i convinced she stopped breathing all together for 30 seconds as we went over the side slope and i had to remind her to breathe when we came out of it! She's still grinning now nearly 10 hours later!

CAMEL TROPHY!!!!!!

had a stop for lunch now as doodles had managed to locate the windest part of yorkshire and the wind was blowing straight in from the reservoir so was nice and cold. a perfect spot for a snack. Clare and Chris where still a bit over excited from the river crossings and decided to tackle the res!!

i must admit, i was fully prepared to fall over laughing if either of them drove over the edge and into the deep, but unfortunatly both are fit and well.

Lunch was the kind of affair where we had free sandwiches and didnt have to pay for the sauce, but again i managed to hold my tongue about breakfast. it didnt bother me at all by now.

Now off to a long straight old roman road. Jamie giving us a full and complete history over the CB, his mum lived there, lok at that sheep. and some really dirty laughs coming from fleur at random intervals... Wonder Why jimbo was grinning so much..

up to the top for a group foto, and more wind, so much so that Ben turned into Linford christie running into the wind.

another short road trip and onto the last lane of the day, and what an absolute cracker! it was so good it wiped the memory of the ?4 BACON SANDWICH with no butter and extra charge for brown sauce completly from my mind, and again, i said not a word about it.

now i know that Jamie wants to keep it from all of you that there may have been a slight delay while his ranger got just a little bit stuck on the devils steps, but in the best interests of accurate journalism i must say that we have many many photos and if he doesnt want them all posting on here, then i need bribing, ?4 should do it, just enough for a bacon sandwich

we all made it right up after jamies incident, with no further mishaps. and strangly no landy breakdowns, to the rest of this winding lane. and so much wind you cannot believe. poor visability sheer drops and nob head bikers. the visability was so bad we couldn't even see bits dropping off jimbo's disco!!

this was the last lane of the day. all of them are absolute corkers, in fact, feeling guilty for leaving jamie and jimbo to head off, a long trip was ensuing for jimbo and fleur, the kids had been through 3 baby sitters!! doodles and me went back down the roman road, which was better in reverse direction carrying a little speed. and dropped down for the 3 river crossing lane again. so starved are we of decent river crossings in the midlands we just couldn't resist!!

waving a sad farewell to yorkshire we set the sat nav for home and headed our seperate ways.

Back down the M6 for us, picking it up at junction 37 and we couldn't believe it theres a cattle grid on the slip road for the motorway!!

we stopped off at burger king on the way home, and i was shocked and amazed to find out that they provide sauce for FREE!!

Absolutly knackered now, but a great day. top marks to Jamie and Ben for planning these lanes. when these come up as a club event you need your head read if you dont sign up. Was great to see old and new friends alike and hopefully see you all soon on future events

Drew n Clare
Old 03-18-2007, 05:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm gonna be honest here. I just get a laugh out of reading your vernacular!

Sounds like a good time