Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

Picacho area suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picacho area suggestions

Well I am finally a legal, licensed driver again and I am going to be spending 8 days in Picacho State Park just north of Winterhaven again for the 15th year or so and I want to explore the area and find some old trails and/or mines from back in the day.
Does anybody have any extensive knowledge of the area? We are camping at 4S and doing some tubing. I have always taken Indian Pass to get there. Can you get to Julian Wash from the river side or only from Olgiby Rd?
Is there any cool stuff to see or go wheeling to?
I appreciate any help.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:58 AM

Check over on Expedition Portal a number of people have run that area, myself included.

Have you been up though Chibola NWR or been back into Bear Falls.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:49 PM

Not to my knowledge. We have been out at night rousting burros and found a rock that looks like George Washington's head in a wash that dead ends at a dry waterfall but I'm not sure if those roads are still open.

Where in relation to 4S camp is this stuff?
I've also been out with a friends grandpa looking for some old mines he used to work but I had a stock size spare on my truck and we needed to go up an off camber hill. I didn't want to make the old guy walk up the hill so we turned around there. I haven't explored the area much other than these couple times. Usually too busy drinking. We are planning on setting aside a morning to get out of our normal area and check things out.
I will google these areas and see what looks interesting and fun.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:02 PM

Anyone else have any knowledge they want to share. We are going to be out there for 8 days this time.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:10 AM

C'mon you Yuma 4 wheelers and El Centroians can I get some 4wheeling suggestions and directions.

So far I've got Bear Falls, some mine, and araz wash and guadalupe wash.
Does anybody have anything else to add? Hell come out and show us Memorial day weekend. We'll be there a few days before the masses.

Ladies that wheel and know the area come on out. You can bring your fella if you have to, but if you don't...
It gets crowded by the Saturday before memorial day and innertubes are the main vehicle for travel down the river back to camp.
Anybody that wants to come can but expect some drinking and don't expect quiet on that weekend.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:49 AM

Sorry, I'm a little slow with responding. I have some other things that require my attention.

If you want start out by taking Red Cloud Mine Road/Clip (starting at Martinez Lake) wash over into Chibola NWR. There's the Painted Desert Trail you could hike from the get go and a little further another trail to hike.

Once you get closer to the actual Red Cloud Mine there are a few side mines to explore.

Before you enter the Chibola NWR you can swing around by the Trigo Wilderness area to an old mining site.

Head south on hwy??? to Olbergy road (can't spell) and take Indain Pass Road into Picacho. You'll enter the Picacho SP the back way with to campsite. I'd recommend Outpost since if's the furthers out and will have fwer people maybe.

There's a number of things see in the state park, grab a map at the beinging or look it up online and there will be number of things to see.

Outside of Copper Basin/Picacho Road there's a side loop that will take you though the Valley of Names but it's hard to tell describe where's its at with out showing you (I don't remember the name of the pull off).

Hope that helps some, I won't be around the weekend you'll be here.

Again, check with the peeps on Expeditionportal (adventuredeo, for one)and Chris Hoover of the Yuma4wheelers he should be able to help you out some.

Red Cloud Mine/Clip Wash trail and Painted Desert Hiking Trail:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f100...-areas-163299/

Red Cloud Mine/Clip Wash trail to Indain Pass Road to Picacho SP
http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ad.php?t=24937

Valley of Names:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ad.php?t=15705

Last edited by wormhole; 05-14-2009 at 10:56 AM.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:12 PM

Hey thanks Wormhole. Thats a lot of information.

Some people in the group I go with have been going to 4S Ranch since the late 70's. They used to take motorhomes down Indian Pass from Ogilby Rd. I've seen the pictures. They used to dig a hole in the ground for crapping back then before the outhouses they used to have. Most of the original guys still living are Scottish and are a lot of fun. I have been going since '94. I've never even been into Picacho. I've only traveled about 5-6 miles south of 4S or the split where the sign is.

Ironically, the first time I ever went I had just checked my now ex-wife into alcohol rehab. She was out of control. But thats another story.

This group, of all ages, converges every year at this spot for Memorial Day weekend. I have seen years when we've had about 40 people floating down from the outpost together. We stop on the sand bar and play Over The Line with beer in hand, a smashed can for a ball and a cooler lid for a bat. It has been good times over the years but this year I am looking forward to getting there well before the mayhem but plan on staying through the Sunday before Memorial Day.

Since this is the longest time I've ever planned to stay I am going to try some dry ice on top of the block for my ice only cooler. I hope it works. I've never had to go into Picacho to get supplies yet and would like to stay self sufficient.

Any idea how many miles away from 4S camp the store is in the main park? And where is the valley of names?

I've been to martinez a long time ago. How far away from 4S is that and Squaw Lake?
Old 05-19-2009, 01:56 PM

When you enter the park off from Indain Pass jsut pick up one of the maps. 4S is probable about 4-5 miles from the main camp site. You'll pass the enterance for Bear Falls but you need a map or you'll miss it.

Martinez Lake is a bit furtner down. Chibola NWR is about a good 30 to 40 minutes north of the turn off for Indain Pass Road.

Squaw Lake I have no clue.