Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

Into the Wild near Healy, AK

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtcaving
This was my second attempt to make it to "the bus" out on the stampede trail near Healy, AK yesterday 10/30. This trip was about 15 miles back into the woods, across several rivers with snow and ice as you can see.
When I tried to make it a month ago I got stopped about 7 miles in becuase of deep mud and no trees to winch to.
This time, I made it over the mud, but I did break through the ice in several places that required a pull to get me out. The river was slightly deeper than it looked but my tacoma made it across with no problems (time to check all the lubes and whatnot). I ended up turning around about 2 miles from the bus because the trail was getting quite narrow and I didn't know exactly where it was. Maybe I'll have a chance to go back and try it next weekend. Anybody interested?
Enjoy the pictures; they are all self taken as I was traveling solo (crazy I know, but I was ready for a long hike)

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kc659/...c659/my_photos
Might want to check out alaska4x4network.com to find some others or some of the local 4x4 clubs. I am in Fairbanks or I would be all about following you around a bit. Good luck and happy trails. Watch the weather, it is awful cold already.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:03 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
got the book in today, of course it comes in just as i am getting ready for finals and should be reading my text books. i read the first couple pages and i'm hooked already.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:05 PM
Contributing Member

Awesome shots!
I loved the picture of the winch yanking down the tree! (I think that's what happened anyways)

One of the main reasons I have never bought a winch, most of the trees are too friggin' small!
Old 12-02-2005, 05:08 PM
Contributing Member

Also, I couldn't help but notice your power cord wrapped around your ARB a zillion times.
I was just down at Canadian Tire an hour ago and I saw something called an Arctic Leash. http://www.arcticleash.com

I think it's a company based in Fairbanks. I was thinking about getting one for my rig. At $80CDN it's pretty steep, but it would definately be worth it in my mind. Just an idea.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:30 PM
Banned

That was a ballsy wheeling trip--not a big deal in a group but solo! dayuum! Sort of in the spirit of the book? But then again, you were in a Toyota so no biggie. Now go get a Jeep and you may have more adventure in your next adventure.
You should take someone with you, like me for instance. I have got to get up there! That is my idea of wheeling.
Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-02-2005, 05:54 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=Scofco]Also, I couldn't help but notice your power cord wrapped around your ARB a zillion times.
QUOTE]
You crack me up! Power Cord!
I looked closer. I think it IS a power cord! :pat:

Last edited by 4Mogger; 12-03-2005 at 09:55 PM.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:03 AM
Contributing Member

What the heck do Americans call it?
Old 12-03-2005, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Scofco
What the heck do Americans call it?
A winch line.......
Old 12-03-2005, 12:12 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
ummm thats not the winch line... i believe the blue is the power cord for the heater block. and the gray cable in the snow is the winch line.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ToferUOP
ummm thats not the winch line... i believe the blue is the power cord for the heater block. and the gray cable in the snow is the winch line.
So is it blue winch line or a power cord? Winch line extention? Inquiring minds want to know.

Last edited by 4Mogger; 12-03-2005 at 09:50 PM.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:34 AM

what is that blue thing?

So it seems the outstanding question is what the blue line is wrapped up on the ARB. It would be nice if it was synthetic winch line but no, it is a power cord. Something that seems out of place but for the -50 deg temperatures we see around here becomes necessary. I have probably 1500 watts of heaters; 400 for the coolant, 300 for the oil 100 for the transmission 120 for the battery and even a small one on the supercharger to keep the oil warm. They are not all necessary but do save wear and tear. I did see that "arctic leash" at carquest but I think they were asking 120 bucks for it....would be nice though.

Another answer- the Totem is still here but they just closed down for "renovation" won't open again till Feb.

And for those who are wondering. I did go back a couple of weeks ago. Pictures ( and video) are forthcoming.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:46 PM

im down in wasilla give me a ring i will be there . i drive by every other week or so . the weather will be changing for the worse this week alot of snow in the forcast finally .(been very warm here lately melted most of our snow . if you ever been to healy the drive to it in the winter is an adventure by itself its the only rd and in the middle of 2 huge passes and always gets heavy snow and crazy hurricane force winds .

last yr it had about 12 feet of snow when i drove through back to fairbanks .

but the view is unreal . or come on down here to wasilla and we would gladly take ya on some of our trails . i am a member of both www.arcticoffroad.com and last frontier fourwheelers . and we will show you some great trails on top of these passes .
Old 12-19-2005, 08:54 PM

living in fairbanks if you forget to plug in at -50 tour truck wont start period . my buddy lasyt yr at -52 tried to start his v-8 grand waggy and spun the starter off the bell housing cause his engine froze solid ! he had just moved up here from virginia and not winterized it yet . its funny when tourisits ask is your car electric ? lol

pull up to mcd's and walmart and they have outlets inthe parking lot for employees or they wont be able to start back up after work .

i even pulled my door handle off the 1st yr here because the door froze shut and the plastic handle was so brittle ! want to do something fun for the kids wait till about 40 below and get a fresh hot cup of coffee and throw it up in the air ! it will dissapear before it ever hits the ground !
Old 12-20-2005, 05:54 AM
Contributing Member

I had a friend up here recently, and he took a bunch of photos of the vehicles plugged into outlets.

It never occurred to me that it seems weird to most people.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:35 PM

i love alaska.... walk out your front door and your instantly part of the food chain nad you can still get lost and die..... now if it were just warmer....
Old 01-07-2006, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by mtcaving
So it seems the outstanding question is what the blue line is wrapped up on the ARB. It would be nice if it was synthetic winch line but no, it is a power cord. Something that seems out of place but for the -50 deg temperatures we see around here becomes necessary. I have probably 1500 watts of heaters; 400 for the coolant, 300 for the oil 100 for the transmission 120 for the battery and even a small one on the supercharger to keep the oil warm. They are not all necessary but do save wear and tear. I did see that "arctic leash" at carquest but I think they were asking 120 bucks for it....would be nice though.

Another answer- the Totem is still here but they just closed down for "renovation" won't open again till Feb.

And for those who are wondering. I did go back a couple of weeks ago. Pictures ( and video) are forthcoming.
As party to the second attempt at reaching the infamous "Bus", I can testify that the report and pictures and hopefully video, will be WELL worth the wait.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:21 AM
Contributing Member

I just stumbled upon this thread! Good stuff.. that river crossing looks wild! I'm guessing you have seen it when it wasn't as high. By the looking at it I would have thought it was 10 feet deep right there. I just ordered the book off Amazon as well. Another something that I bought soloely because I saw it on YT!
Old 01-26-2006, 06:50 PM

Check out part 2 of this adventure, if you haven't already. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f100/into-wild-take-2-a-76955/
The second trip makes the first one seem like a walk in the park.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:52 PM

Here is some video from the trip. Not much as I was alone but it does show me in the river.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUX018TQDig
Old 12-30-2006, 03:56 AM

That would just be a cool place to go...

I think it may be time to reread that book.. mental note put in with camping gear for reading with coffee/kalhua at campfire...

Quick Reply: Into the Wild near Healy, AK