Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

Index wall - Reiter WA (dialup beware)

Old 04-17-2005, 08:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Index wall 4/17 Reiter WA (dialup beware)

Sunday myself and a few friends decided to attempt the Index Wall trail. For those of you not familiar with this offroad area it is one of the more difficult trails with lots of mud, roots, deep water crossings, and rock climbs. Our goal was to reach the top of this wall from the access trail that comes up the back

We started out playing in some of the deep mudholes in the lowlands.

Then the Liberty got stuck...It ended up being a rough day for him. He ripped a fender flare off as well as doing some minor body damage

Then we head up the powerlines to play in the rocks
ME

Then things got really interesting......

Last edited by Mickdady; 04-17-2005 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:52 PM
Contributing Member

My friend driving the K20 was coming up a hill but with the giant hood and lift kit, he couldn't see where he was going...

OOPS

This took about an hour to extract. only damage was a dented fuel tank and slightly creased bed.

We then met up with Jim who has one of the most unique Toyotas I have ever seen. It is a extra cab mated with a 4runner rear. He had custom tube bumpers and roll cage as well as a Marlin crawler box and locked up 37"s. He was a good guide.

From here it was off to the wall....

Last edited by Mickdady; 04-18-2005 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:58 PM
Contributing Member

The trail to the wall is difficult to say the least. Most people didn't believe an unlocked 4runner could make it, not without body damage atleast. I had to prove them wrong.

Climb up waterfall

Finally the view from the top of the wall

I made it to the top with no damage leaving behind a locked and lifted 87, the liberty, and numerous other vehicles along the way. No one could believed that I had made it. There were so many times I was sure I was stuck or highcentered but all it took was a little throttle/clutch work and she walked right out of it. My runner impresses me everytime I drive it!!
Old 04-17-2005, 09:09 PM
Contributing Member

Now for the damage count

k20 - heavily dented both sides of bed (tree related not drop off), Major bent front bumper

Liberty - Rt front fender flare ripped off as well as fender liner and washer resevoir. Lots of misc body damage (small) and possible steering damage from dropping down on sharp rock

Taco - Small Dent on rt side

Red 87ish runner (not shown and not in our party) - Broken driveshaft, broken yoke, broken lift blocks, broken U-bolts, Huge dent in rt side

My 2000 4runner - none

This trail eats vehicles. As much fun as it was, I don't think I will be doing it again.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:08 PM
Contributing Member

sweet pics........... I have never been up there yet. lets go up sometime
Old 04-17-2005, 10:48 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Mickdady
This trail eats vehicles. As much fun as it was, I don't think I will be doing it again.
After that trip report I might be more inclined to just ride along than take my own rig.

Awesome pics. I can't believe that K20 didn't just fall off. The heep doesn't suprise me though.

Old 04-18-2005, 06:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice ride Mike... Well done!
Old 04-18-2005, 10:22 AM
Contributing Member

Mark,

I was hoping I would see you or someother YT'ers up there but the place was actually pretty empty.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was hoping I would see you or someother YT'ers up there but the place was actually pretty empty.
I woulda' loved too, but my excuse this year is the price of gas and the lack of a job. I have to really pick my runs right now, so the next time out will be the WATTORA Trail-101 class this weekend at Reiter; then Moses Lake (end of May) then... dunno.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:00 PM
Contributing Member

Cool pics Mike. It tickles me to see a 4Runner w/ Dueler At's go places where lesser vehicles w/ mud tires can't!
Old 04-18-2005, 06:12 PM

awsome pics. i will also hopefully be at the trail 101.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:32 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by KevyWevy
awsome pics. i will also hopefully be at the trail 101.
You better then i can get your tow strap back to you
Old 04-18-2005, 07:01 PM

YEAH!!!! i need that!!!!
Old 04-18-2005, 07:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by terryjmatthew
Cool pics Mike. It tickles me to see a 4Runner w/ Dueler At's go places where lesser vehicles w/ mud tires can't!
Yes it tickles me too. When we got to the waterfall climb at the end (pictured) there was a lifted 85 (I am guessing) with a broken driveshaft, broken U-bolts, and a few other misc parts. He told me that to climb the waterfall I needed 33s and a locker at the very minimum. At which I thanked him for his (intoxicated) advice an proceeded to drive up it only having to bump and re-align once or twice. No scrapes, no dents, no spinning tires. Once I reached the top I walked back down to help my friends. The poor guys was getting harrassed by his friends to no end!! Then a second group showed up and rubbed it more by saying things like "did you see that runner go through here!!?"

Made for a great day.

BTW the tires are actually TOYO open countrys.

Last edited by Mickdady; 04-18-2005 at 07:13 PM.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:15 PM

At which I thanked him for his (intoxicated) advice an proceeded to drive up it only having to bump and re-align once or twice.
which is why i don't like reiter all that much. too many people especially drunk ones. you can be responsible for yourself and your own decisions but what happens if some drunk guy comes flying over a hill at ya? or around a corner?
Old 04-18-2005, 07:29 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by KevyWevy
which is why i don't like reiter all that much. too many people especially drunk ones. you can be responsible for yourself and your own decisions but what happens if some drunk guy comes flying over a hill at ya? or around a corner?
Yeah it has gotten pretty bad lately. The second group of about 6 vehicles were all drunk or on their way. It made me pretty angry to see. I was also not pleased about their version of Tread lightly.

The only thing that makes me feel a little better is the sheriff patrols the index exit road and the state patrol watches reiter road pretty carefully. A lot of wheeler's claim to be harrassed by them because they pull wheeler's over for things like muddy license plate but they are just looking for drunks and usually let you off with a warning.

BTW, I would love to meet up with you guys for Trail 101 but I gotta get my timing belt done. I will be watching WATRD for the next event so I can finally meet some of you.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:30 PM

no no no, watch/sign up for wattora.com/forum
Old 04-18-2005, 07:46 PM
Contributing Member

Ok some are going to laugh but this is my reasoning for not joining any local clubs.

If I join, there will always be someone going up looking for others to go with them. I have a hard time refusing wheeling so I will always say yes. This will cost me a lot in parts because wheeling that much will eventually break something. More importantly it may cost me my marriage!!!

I am at a crossroad right now...do I make her into a serious trail rig and risk damage and added cost? or do I wait a couple years till I can afford a dedicated trail rig.

Its a viscous cycle.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:53 PM

It's been a long time since I've been there. I'm not too fond of heights but the view from up there is spectacular.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:12 PM
Contributing Member

More importantly it may cost me my marriage!!!

REALLY

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Index wall - Reiter WA (dialup beware)