Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

Hollister Hills 2/5 Pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 09:40 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 00Runner
Adam,

Haven't seen you post yet. Hope you made it back alright. Let us know how it went.
I followed Adam about half way home and he was doing fine. I don't know why he hasn't posted yet.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:10 AM

nice video, I see some of you guys hung and just free spinning, don't any of you try the old "apply the break" on the limited slip diff to try and get traction to the non spinning wheels?
Old 02-07-2005, 10:43 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RBLACAUSA
Nice 4th gen action, BY. I'm assuming that was yours? Was there any pucker factor when you got crossed up on that hillclimb? Looks like your TRAC Control got a workout that day! Good job, and I bet you converted quite a few non-believers.
Yeah it was mine, the surface was pretty loose which made a lot more difficult than previous times I've done it. But I really messed up on the hill. The first time I just left it in Drive and didn't lock the center diff. SO it just kept throttling back on me as it sensed wheelspin. The second time I locked the center diff, but still left it in drive. So it kept chenging gears and mess with me all the way up. I would throttle back and it would upshift, then I gave it more gas and it would downshift. SO it just messed with me all the way up, I normally just put it in 1st or 2nd 4Lo and it works fine. This time I messed up in a big way while experimenting. Bottom line the tranny is not so smart, so just select a gear "yerself" and it will work just fine.

THanx Brad, your advise over the radio helped me get down safely, Bliksem says thx as well.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:46 AM
Contributing Member

I still need to finish editing the video, and will posta better quality one later. I promised ish a full length DVD of his "scuba diving", so just send me a address and I'll mail it out when I'm done.

XJ, I can cut a AVI file on DVD for you with the Jeep stuff, so you can edit it yourself, send me your address as well.

I'll finish my write up and pics with video this week. It takes a lot of time to edit video and work is keeping me very busy.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:48 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by JoKEpLaYeR
I followed Adam about half way home and he was doing fine. I don't know why he hasn't posted yet.
Well I hope he made it.

Ish I hope your rig gets sorted out and doesn't cost too much $$$. I'll defintely invest in a "fishing suite" (can't remember the name) for future water crossings. Another thing to add to my growing list of things to get.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:22 AM

The fishing suite was friend's idea with the LR D90... best if found at any hunting or sport department store..they are used for duck hunting and such.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by bulldog-yota
Yeah it was mine, the surface was pretty loose which made a lot more difficult than previous times I've done it.
All I hear are excuses for your crappy tires!
Old 02-07-2005, 12:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by FirstToy
All I hear are excuses for your crappy tires!
The 4R backing down had 32" MTRs, so there
Old 02-07-2005, 12:43 PM
Contributing Member

I think the key to 'Truck Hill' was tire pressure. I made it twice with no problems in 4Lo and 2nd gear. I was running my tires at 12psi.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:54 PM

... ... This time I messed up in a big way while experimenting. Bottom line the tranny is not so smart, so just select a gear "yerself" and it will work just fine.

THanx Brad, your advise over the radio helped me get down safely, Bliksem says thx as well.
Well, fortunately things didn't go too wrong for you, comparatively speaking...look about halfway down this thread...
http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=33692
Fortunately this guy made it out. Not sure if it was the same hill. His roll was result of brake failure, not from getting crossed up.

Last edited by RBLACAUSA; 02-07-2005 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:12 PM
ish

just got a call from the shop i took it to. they said a bunch of "debris" came out when they drained it. and after the refilled it and stuff, it doesn't even move.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:17 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
what doesnt even move? the truck? it ran better with the crap inside of it?
Old 02-07-2005, 02:41 PM
ish

Originally Posted by ToferUOP
what doesnt even move? the truck? it ran better with the crap inside of it?

the transmission won't engage into any gears. it runs fine. just won't drive

anyone here have a trailer at all? i need to get it from san ramon to union city
Old 02-07-2005, 02:44 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 00Runner
I think the key to 'Truck Hill' was tire pressure. I made it twice with no problems in 4Lo and 2nd gear. I was running my tires at 12psi.
Yeah your right, my biggest issue was being a dumbass and experimenting instead of just putting it in 1st or 2nd as I normally do. This time I had to be clever and see what the supposidly smart tranny wil do if you leave it in drive. Well needless to say it just kept up and downshifting, irrespective of what I did. If I dropped a few pounds of pressure it would have given more traction (I was at 22psi), but I would still have ended up spinning with the tranny shifting. So now I know for fututre use not to let it think.

A number of lessons learned this Saturday:
1) Bouncing around and applying lots of skinny pedal while steering can = broken CV
2) Leaving auto in Drive while going up steep hills with loose traction causes lots of nervous moments and shifting tranny
3) Driving fast into large body of water of unknown depth = very wet 4R
Old 02-07-2005, 02:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ish
the transmission won't engage into any gears. it runs fine. just won't drive

anyone here have a trailer at all? i need to get it from san ramon to union city
Unfortunately I dont have a trailer. Hope they can fix the tranny cheaply.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RBLACAUSA
Well, fortunately things didn't go too wrong for you, comparatively speaking...look about halfway down this thread...
http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=33692
Fortunately this guy made it out. Not sure if it was the same hill. His roll was result of brake failure, not from getting crossed up.
Nope we were at truck hill, that looks like 5 fingers. I have never done it, so dunno if it is more or less difficult.
Old 02-07-2005, 03:13 PM

Nope we were at truck hill, that looks like 5 fingers. I have never done it, so dunno if it is more or less difficult.

That was actualy over on whiterock. I was there.... Watched the thing go down. Man that was ugly.
Bulldog, I'll PM you my address. How much is a DVD-R? I'll pay you for it if you'd like.

Originally Posted by RobT2k
The guy with the camera wanted some kind of quote, like "I wish I had a toyota" or "could someone with a toyota please save me?"
Actualy I probably woulda made it if the yota that dove in before me hadent spun its tires and trenched it out Just kidding. That was a nasty hole full of thick muck, I was just thrilled to be submersed in it. My Jeep looks better in brown don't ya think?
Old 02-07-2005, 11:16 PM
Contributing Member

Ok I did a quick write up

And here are the edited videos.
Small 6MB
Big 70MB
Old 02-09-2005, 02:06 PM

LOL!!! I want mine like that!
Old 02-09-2005, 03:55 PM

Kind of ironic. After seeing the water hole shots I got to wondering what kind of contingency plan do the drivers/spectators normally have if someone flops/rolls and goes rooof-down in the drink? Then I saw this thread...
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f100/dont-follow-rules-die-make-local-news-51396/
so I figured I'd ask the dumb noobie question. WHat do you do? I once was in a bad position when a sand berm collapsed underneath me, where I was almost stuck to my seat because the seatbelt retention system was locked up due to the extreme angle of my truck. Do you guys think about undoing your seatbelts before going into water? If you go roof-down, will your body weight prevent the seatbelt from unfastening. You will have a very short time...and will probably be in zero-visibility...and if you're holding your breath better not cough, or else you'll be 2 minutes from death. So, do you guys normally have a thoughtout contingency plan just in case? A knife to cut a belt? A strap and tow rig at the ready to wrap around an axle or towhook and risk a dragging out the vehicle on its roof?

EDIT: Hey, sorry for the dumb post guys, I just realized I shoulda probably asked this one in a different thread!

Last edited by RBLACAUSA; 02-09-2005 at 04:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Hollister Hills 2/5 Pics