Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

CO: Dinosaur Nat'l Monument (pics: dial-up caution)

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 09:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Joel,

Yep, I agree with you that the canyons there are far more facinating than some old bones! The Flaming Gorge Reservoir is pretty cool, too.

I didn't camp in Echo Park this time around, though I have in the past, and it was a possibility for this trip, but I wanted to be at the canyon overlooks for each sunrise and they're 14 miles up the road. So that in combination with the fact that I REALLY dislike waking up early, meant the more sleeping time, the better!

There aren't any 4WD roads in the area, except they are when they're wet, as seen above. I had camped at the three overlooks on respective nights, and then up at the near the Gates of Lodore on the northern arm the other night. The former, along the Yampa Bench Road, there are a few more pull-outs further east from the overlooks which would also be available for camping.

As for hiking, there is an easy 1-mile hike to Harpers Corner, and the views are sweet. You can't really see anything from the end of the road. Here is one such shot taken a couple years ago. I need to shoot sunset from there, but haven't yet. There are four other hikes that are listed in John Fielder's The Complete Guide to Colorado's Wilderness Areas, which I happened to bring with me to work today. A couple are 8 miles round-trip, and the other two are 14 and 16 miles. I haven't taken any of those to give you any further input.

Mustard, I have not been down to the San Juans yet this fall, as it is STILL SUMMER! Not too much longer, though. I'll be down there starting on the 24th. Here's a current update on things from someone who was down there last week. Hope you have another good trip out.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:29 AM
Contributing Member

Hey, Darren-

I wasn't too far from you this past weekend. We (aunt, uncle and myself) went camping, fishing and wheelin' this weekend around Glenwood Canyon. Actually, we were ~30 miles NW of Glenwood. We fished Deep Lake and tried to make it to Blair Mtn via CR 601. The mud and clay was just too slick and the trail was too off-camber.

Did you get any snow Saturday?
Old 09-08-2004, 11:16 AM
Contributing Member

Sounds like a good time, Alan. No snow where I was, as I was only around 6-7,000'. It got pretty cool on Saturday and had a good amount of rain where I was. Coming back through Vail was pretty sweet to see the Gore Range COVERED with snow. It wasn't just a dusting you might usually see this time of year. I'm sure you saw that as well.