Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 01:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Only one question:

Did you crap your pants?

Because I would have.

Nice work.

That trail is on my list for this summer.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AxleIke
Only one question:
Did you crap your pants?
Because I would have.
Nice work.
That trail is on my list for this summer.
That was actually July 2006, but just saw the thread. I definitely had a rush when the rear end hopped down hill. Got a lump in my throat, for sure.

Not as scary as later in the day when we were at the top of a cliff with lightning striking around us as we lower a dead guy off. Then a few minutes later the wife had rappelled down and a rock the size of a T/C or transmission rolled down off the side of the mountain and into the gully 30 ft below her and exploded. Chunks of it hit the body and would have taken out some SAR people if she hadn't started rappelling a few minutes before and sent them scrambling out of the gully. That's another whole epic...
Old 04-24-2008, 05:08 PM
Contributing Member

Dead guy?

That doesn't sound good.

Hoping it was SAR operation, and not a person in your group.

Props man.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:45 PM

Wow, big balls on video 1!!! That drop is scary on your driver's side. And a long ways down

On the second video, is it just me or are your front wheels pointing in different directions several times while climbing up??? I watched it several times and it appears that your wheels move around on their own. How was your alignment after Blanca?

EDIT - here's some screen shots

Last edited by Volcom; 04-24-2008 at 08:52 PM.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:58 PM
Contributing Member

X2 on the funky steering.

Also, what gear were you in for both of those? I can tell at the end of jaws 2 that you are in first with the 4.7, but on both of the obstacles, you seem to be going really, really fast. Far faster than I'd care to take either one.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:06 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
x3 on the steering, just thought it was me ...

Some would say big balls, some would say REALLY bad line ... I would have spotted you to turn HARD driver as the front came over the lip...
Old 04-25-2008, 05:31 AM

Wow - this thread came back from the dead. Very cool videos - my heart skipped a beat on that first one.

Volcom - those pictures are just plain fantastic! Doesn't matter how long I live in Colorado, I still get a "warm n fuzzy" when I see great shots like that. We are lucky to live here!
Old 04-25-2008, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Jacket
Wow - this thread came back from the dead. Very cool videos - my heart skipped a beat on that first one.

Volcom - those pictures are just plain fantastic! Doesn't matter how long I live in Colorado, I still get a "warm n fuzzy" when I see great shots like that. We are lucky to live here!
I completely agree!!! I love living in CO and seeing what it has to offer. I really want to get out more this summer and explore some new areas.

I love the Medano / Blanca area around the Sand Dunes. I've been camping off of Medano for 7-8 years now and it still fun (minus the bears ).
Old 04-25-2008, 06:45 AM
Contributing Member

X2 on the funky steering.

Also, what gear were you in for both of those? I can tell at the end of jaws 2 that you are in first with the 4.7, but on both of the obstacles, you seem to be going really, really fast. Far faster than I'd care to take either one.
On both of them I was in 1st+4.7 on 4.10 diffs. Had the engine revved a little to keep it going. If I were to do it again, I'd back off on the throttle a little, and would have slipped the clutch at the tipover point on Jaws 1.

Originally Posted by Volcom
Wow, big balls on video 1!!! That drop is scary on your driver's side. And a long ways down

On the second video, is it just me or are your front wheels pointing in different directions several times while climbing up??? I watched it several times and it appears that your wheels move around on their own. How was your alignment after Blanca?
On "my rig thread" linked in my sig, I explain a little. My idler arm was in trouble on Jaws 1. It snapped on Jaws 2. You can actually hear it snap in the video of Jaws 2. Fortunately had a spare and had it replaced in <30 minutes. Came home and ordered a brace from Downey. Haven't broken one since, but my bushings need replaced... again.

Originally Posted by tc
x3 on the steering, just thought it was me ...

Some would say big balls, some would say REALLY bad line ... I would have spotted you to turn HARD driver as the front came over the lip...
It was a learning experience, not one I particularly care to repeat at that speed. For rigs on 30.5" & 32" tires that line or around the bottom are the only options, unless you want to drag & winch. My dad used his automatic transmission to ease over the tip point slowly. Had a pretty good wheelstand going. He was driving a stock TJ Rubicon (30.5" tires) and got his belly pan pretty mangled on that trip. On the way down, we went around the bottom side of Jaws 1.

Last edited by 86Original; 04-25-2008 at 06:59 AM. Reason: more about line
Old 04-25-2008, 06:52 AM
Contributing Member

Dead guy?

That doesn't sound good.

Hoping it was SAR operation, and not a person in your group.

Props man.
Not in our group. We just happened to be the nearest climbers with gear and medical experience. Details here.

</hijack>