Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

Standby Freezes Laptop...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 06:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Standby Freezes Laptop...

Whenever I shut the lid to my laptop, it turns off the LCD immediately and goes into standby after 5 mins. That's normal for most laptops. However, when I open the lid back up, it's EXTREMELY EXTREMELY slow to get going again. It never actually DOES get going, because I lose patience in it and pull the plug and reboot.

What can I do to fix this? I notice it started doing it after the last time I reformatted and re-installed XP Pro.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:29 PM

Also, I should note that I did the install with my slipstreamed copy of XP Pro with SP2 bundled into it. I wonder if that has anything to do with it...

Oh yeah... save your piracy comments. I copied my own disk for my own use.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:48 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Do not have the answer for you, but if you do not want to do a slip stream in the future, you can DL SP2 from Microsoft's site as a file to burn to CD, and not as an install from the Update site.

The URL is in this months CPU magazine.

I think I would rather install it that way instead of the slip stream method.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:03 PM

Well, I changed the settings from standby to hibernate for when I close the lid. Seems to have solved the problem. Starts back up from hibernate lightning quick.

I did some more searching on the topic, and found that quite a few people thing it's linked to SP2's security center and their anti-virus programs. Didn't find a fix for it though, as turning off the security center does nothing to fix it, as does changing antivirus programs.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:32 AM
WT

Originally Posted by Churnd
Well, I changed the settings from standby to hibernate for when I close the lid. Seems to have solved the problem. Starts back up from hibernate lightning quick.

I did some more searching on the topic, and found that quite a few people thing it's linked to SP2's security center and their anti-virus programs. Didn't find a fix for it though, as turning off the security center does nothing to fix it, as does changing antivirus programs.
Might check the manufacture site out for the laptop, I remember last year a few of the thoshiba's in the office had this same problem and it was due to a corruped(sp) driver issue and was fixed with a XP in place repair. But its been well over a year since I heard of this problem. There FAQ had it listed as a fix/problem.
Old 12-08-2004, 05:45 AM

Hibernate is working great... except for when I want to undock the laptop, because I use a docking station for when I'm at home. When I click "undock", it automatically goes to standby, and freezes when I open the lid. Any way around this?
Old 12-08-2004, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by jruz
I don't think there is a way around that...other than shutting down.

You will probably have to work with your manufacturer and get the Standby problem fixed then...

Jim
I really dont think it's a problem with my manufacturer, because others who are having the same problems are using different brand laptops with the only thing in common is that they're all running SP2, and didn't notice the problems starting until after they installed SP2.

So from now on, I'll probably just Hibernate to undock... :cry: