Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

Networked Laser Printer

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 06:40 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Networked Laser Printer

Just got a "new to us" laser printer at work. Hooked it up and got it working. It has 64mb of installed memory. Well, it's a fast printer once it starts printing. The process of getting the print job to the printer takes forever! We print PDF's a lot at work and each one is about 4mb. Any suggestions? This is an older laser printer, what would I look for in a new printer to speed up the data transfer between the computer and the printer? I have a lexmark 2332 (I think thats the right model#) at home, nice and fast at everything, but it's USB and not networkable unless sharing through a computer.

Thanks!!
Old 01-31-2007, 06:42 AM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
does it take a long time between you pressing print and the printer to acknowledge its receiving a job or does it say something like "processing job" (or something to that effect) instantly but THAT takes forever?
Old 01-31-2007, 06:46 AM
Contributing Member

well I press print, if I open the print jobs box in windows, it says 64kb of 4mb, 128kb of 4mb and so on, and it takes about 5 to 10 seconds to move from each step, so you can imagine how long it takes for 4mb, lol

Thanks for replying, I'm hoping theres a way to fix this (my boss is excited about a laser printer) but if this printer won't work, and a newer laser is better then thats fine, I can't stand our inkjet printers! (ever seen the movie Office Space )
Old 01-31-2007, 06:46 AM
Contributing Member

If its not a"network printer" like the one you have at home. Go get and set up a Print server.
http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...t_Print_Server

They have a parallel one to if its that old which i doubt you will buy, but for others that read this.

It will act like a computer and i think even has some memory for spooling the document.

The one you have now, i would see if you can upgrade the memory in it.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:54 AM
Contributing Member

you got it backwards, the office one is networkable, the home one is not. Wouldnt upgrading the memory just allow the printer to hold more, not transfer the print job faster? The 16mb memory is fine for a 4mb file, yet it transfers slowly between the computer and the printer.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:06 AM
Contributing Member

Use the print server for a new one that's not network able.

You cat5 network should be more than capable of handing a 4mb file transfer to the printer.

if you have the time hook it up straight to a computer. does it print any faster? my bet is it wont.

Printers are not my specialty, i would call someplace and ask about it, but just be prepared for the sales pitch too.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:16 AM
Contributing Member

Some of the manufacturers post the processor speed of the printer. If not, look at the first-page-print time, faster is better. Plus, PDF relies on Postscript, which is a more complex printer language than PCL. So simply get a Postscript printer that has the faster processor you can afford.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:45 AM
Contributing Member

I picked up an HP Laserjet 1300N a while back. It's incredibly quick and very clear. It's nice knowing that I don't have to change the toner cartridge until 4000 pages later.