Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

Home networking XP with Vista

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 05:09 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Home networking XP with Vista

Good gosh, I am impressed with Vista.

Since I built a new gaming PC yesterweek, I needed to install my printer tonight.
Then I decided to setup a home network with the new PC being the main one.

Using the home networking wizard in the Control Panel, I set it up to have the shared folder under My Computer, and to share my HP 1600 with my old PC (have not set that one up yet) and my new Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop that I just got.

My main PC asked for my XP disc that I would have to insert to copy a few files to mine, and I would have to insert it into every other PC to that I add to the network.

When it came time to work on the Vista rig, I opened up the networking area and it already showed my new desktop PC and the HP 1600

I thought I would have to use the XP disc and also add in the workgroup name I had setup on the main PC.

Not so again, Vista did it all for me without doing anything.
This is too weird.

I made the HP 1600 the default printer to print to from the laptop, and I can see the shared folder too on my gaming rig.

I think I am going to like Vista.
I am typing this from the living room on my lap in the recliner while watching the back to back Stargate Atlantis episodes that are on the sci-fi channel right now.

This is cool, no more getting up during commercials to use the PC in the other room.
It will take awhile to get use to typing on a smaller keyboard, and I hate touchpads.
I am cheating, I am using a small Logitech USB mouse, the V220.
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mi...ter=368&sort=0

My son has the nicer VX Revolution that I got for his laptop, as he had a Microsoft one, but it quit working.

Anyone else using Vista, and do you like it?
I hear it is not the best for a gaming platform, hence why I bought another copy of XP Pro for the new PC I just built.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hate vista. nothing is like it used to be. your lucky if the network worked on a vista machine cuz when I have to add a comp with vista to the network I have at work it ALWAYS sees the other computers and devices but rarely shares what its supposed to without adjusting a few settings that you can only get to the bass akwards way.

Maybe it will work out better for you!
Old 01-04-2008, 06:08 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Seems to be working out just fine.
What I would like to know is how did it know the name of my new gaming PC and the printer, as I did not have to run a wizard on the Vista laptop at all.

It just saw everything setup in the other room as soon as I opened up the network folder to view other PCs.

I have heard some horror stores about Vista, hopefully it will work out for me.
Dell did not give me the option to have XP on this laptop.
Plus I was curious about Vista.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
vista has some nice features but its pretty slow compared to xp.

file transfers are like 30% faster or something like that...i dont get it

i love OS X
Old 01-04-2008, 07:39 PM
Contributing Member

I just got a HP laptop, and it has vista. So far I likey. I got a wireless card from my cell people, so I am wireless all over

I ha real issues transferring files/pictures. I tunes doubled my library for some reason

All in all, it was a smooth process. My only complaints are with the shutdown, sometimes vista does not want to close. Also after I open the machine, sometimes it takes opening and closing the wireless a few times to get all hooked up.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:47 PM

i love vista, but the only thing i hate about it is the fact that it searches for 'illegal' or 'unlicensed' software. this includes music. when i tried vista on my old comp, i had the whole adobe suite.. PS, IR, Premiere, etc, plus about 100 hours of music, all got deleted. pissed me off, lol. good luck with it though, let me know if you experience that problem
Old 01-05-2008, 10:08 AM
Contributing Member

Sounds like a nice setup. Dell sent a new replacement laptop for my 1520 with a screen hum. The new one was quiet except it had a noisy hard drive! So, since I had two for a couple days, I swapped hard drives (Fujitsu is quiet, Seagate was noisy) and DVD burners to get a Toshiba instead of no-name, and have a completely silent laptop now.

I'm using the n-spec wirless in the house and it works great @ 54 Mbps, can go to 250 Mbps with the new Verizon fiber optic coming soon. It's also long range and detected a couple other wireless networks somewhere around here, one unsecured but I'm not into snooping.

I'm using a Logitech Trackman Wheel (trackball) that I set on the couch arm...works great, much better than the touchpad and of course doesn't move like a mouse.

There's new service packs for XP and Vista coming this month. The XP pack is supposed to make it even faster than Vista w/SP1.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:11 AM

wait, BT17R, arent you the guy who made his rear frame out of sign post material?
Old 01-05-2008, 11:05 AM
Contributing Member

?
Not me, but I'd like to laugh at the pics!
Old 01-05-2008, 11:55 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Glad your new laptop is working out for you Bob.

One thing I find though with it is in the network icon that you click on the desktop my gaming PC does not show up all the time.

Right now the only PC listed under the network screen is the Dell.

Then sometimes later it will say Corey-Antec the name of the gaming PC I built.
I can not figure out what that is.

Also I installed the Yahoo Widgets this morning, as I run it on all my PCs for the weather widget.

It is crashing when you come into Windows Vista, and shuts down.
Sometimes it works.

Just got back from my friends to show him my laptop, and it worked perfectly over there.
Come back here and Yahoo Widgets shuts down.
I saved the error text, I will submit it to Yahoo.

Oh, I am not into hijacking other wireless setups either, but when I took out the laptop over there he asked me if I needed a cat 5 cable to hook up to his router.
I told him to hang on a second...

I scanned the wireless network and it found 5 connections in his neighborhood, 3 were unsecured.

Connected to one of them right away at 6 megabits per second, which is darn fast.

People really need to setup a password when they create a wireless network in their home.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
wait, BT17R, arent you the guy who made his rear frame out of sign post material?
Lol. I remember that guy.

I recently picked up a new laptop on BF, and gave my Dell to my mom. It of course has Vista, but I might switch back to XP. Having some driver troubles.

Last edited by 24Runna; 01-05-2008 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:05 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I recently set up two new Vista computers at the office network linked with 3 XP computers. They link up ok but our huge copier/printer machine doesn't support Vista and Sharp isn't planning to release updated drivers. So we had to buy an additional printer for the Vista computers... kinda stupid.

Also, we're running some blueprint takeoff software on one and CAD on the other... they're really slow.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:48 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

So the Vista ones will not print over to the copier/printer the XP PCs use?

Just picked up the new Maximum PC magazine this morning, there is a section devoted to tweaking Vista.

Have only skimmed it, but basically they say to go back to XP
They also show you how to setup a dual boot with XP and Vista.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
osx... o stopped using pcs when me came out
Old 01-06-2008, 05:36 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Corey
So the Vista ones will not print over to the copier/printer the XP PCs use?
Exactly. Although, I think I'm more irritated at Sharp than MS for this particular problem.

My computer is running XP so I haven't had much time to mess around with Vista. My personal opinion is that XP was pretty good (as pc's go) so why mess with it? $$$ was the only good answer I could come up with. Only a matter of time until nobody supports XP anymore...
Old 01-06-2008, 06:05 PM
Contributing Member

Glad your new laptop is working out for you Bob.

One thing I find though with it is in the network icon that you click on the desktop my gaming PC does not show up all the time.

Right now the only PC listed under the network screen is the Dell.

Then sometimes later it will say Corey-Antec the name of the gaming PC I built.
I can not figure out what that is.

Also I installed the Yahoo Widgets this morning, as I run it on all my PCs for the weather widget.

It is crashing when you come into Windows Vista, and shuts down.
Sometimes it works.

Just got back from my friends to show him my laptop, and it worked perfectly over there.
Come back here and Yahoo Widgets shuts down.
I saved the error text, I will submit it to Yahoo.

Oh, I am not into hijacking other wireless setups either, but when I took out the laptop over there he asked me if I needed a cat 5 cable to hook up to his router.
I told him to hang on a second...

I scanned the wireless network and it found 5 connections in his neighborhood, 3 were unsecured.

Connected to one of them right away at 6 megabits per second, which is darn fast.

People really need to setup a password when they create a wireless network in their home.
Corey ditch the yahoo widgets and just use windows sidebar.

Or just ditch them all together and get an igoogle homepage.
They both eat up resources on your computer.

Also, you need to have printer drives installed on your vista machine if you want to share the printer with your desktop.

Your computers probably aren't in the same workgroup. Make sure you make them in the same workgroup..

Overall windows vista blows the big one compared to XP. Maybe in a few years it will get better. It sucks in everyplace thats important.

I HATE vista. Ive hated it since it came out. If i didnt get it for free I wouldnt be using it on my PC. Its not worth it for me to pay for XP Pro...
Old 01-06-2008, 06:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
i love vista, but the only thing i hate about it is the fact that it searches for 'illegal' or 'unlicensed' software. this includes music. when i tried vista on my old comp, i had the whole adobe suite.. PS, IR, Premiere, etc, plus about 100 hours of music, all got deleted. pissed me off, lol. good luck with it though, let me know if you experience that problem

Sorry, but i find this really funny. This is how i read your post...

I don't like vista because I stole $2,000 worth of software and music and it got deleated... and now it is totally unreplaceable, and i don't have the money to steal it again.

I love vista, not that i use it, just that vista is forceing hardware companys to create faster hardware for less to make up for the slow speed. Also i have noticed that intergrated video is harder to find because many flavors of vista cannot run on such low video componants.

All in all, good times for me. And besides in 3 years when most new setups have 4 quad core processors and 8 gigs of some new freaky fast memory and sata drives that can run at 9 gigs a second, vista (service pack 12 ) will seem quite fast... and those who are running xp will not be able to take advantage of any of these new hardware developments.

Last edited by linuxrunner; 01-06-2008 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:40 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Originally Posted by 89macrunner
Corey ditch the yahoo widgets and just use windows sidebar.

Or just ditch them all together and get an igoogle homepage.
They both eat up resources on your computer.

Also, you need to have printer drives installed on your vista machine if you want to share the printer with your desktop.

Your computers probably aren't in the same workgroup. Make sure you make them in the same workgroup..

Overall windows vista blows the big one compared to XP. Maybe in a few years it will get better. It sucks in everyplace thats important.

I HATE vista. Ive hated it since it came out. If i didnt get it for free I wouldnt be using it on my PC. Its not worth it for me to pay for XP Pro...
Yeah, I am going to tinker with Vista when I get time, they explain how to change the usergroup name to the one the XP rig is in.

Vista does see the other PC though and lists the user group (YOTATECH )
Plus I can print from the Vista laptop to the HP printer which is hooked up to the XP rig.

Funny how the Yahoo Widgets worked for awhile, but now crashes upon startup.

I will leave it on my other PCs, but take it off of this one.
This did have a Windows Sidebar, but I think it was part of a Google Desktop that Dell throws on their PCs, I deactivated it within the first hour of firing up the laptop.

I also have read that if you want to buy XP, you had better do it soon, as MS is going to quit offering it for sale come this spring or so.
Better stock up on those install CDs now.
I have two, one for the old rig and one for the new gaming rig I built.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:13 AM

When it came time to work on the Vista rig, I opened up the networking area and it already showed my new desktop PC and the HP 1600

I thought I would have to use the XP disc and also add in the workgroup name I had setup on the main PC.

Not so again, Vista did it all for me without doing anything.
This is too weird.
mac os x has been doing this since sometime in late 1999 - windows really is trash