Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

Apache

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 12:42 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Apache

OK, my friend Andy seems to have part of this website working.
www.allprogamer.com

The Apache page is coming up, and I take it you would take that index page out of the Apache folder, then you can view the contents, or do you need a .htaccess file made?

He is reading like crazy, but has not got there yet.
And if you make folders on the server such as:
Maps
Sounds
ect...

How do you share these with others via html URL?
He wants gamers who use his server to be able to click on links when he gets his VB forum up and be able to see a directory or page where we will have links to download stuff.

His forum is still not up yet, he has not got that far yet.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You would replace that page with whatever you want to show when the root of the site is accessed.

.htaccess is for controlling access and for redirecting traffic. You do not need one initially to get things up and running.

Anything in the same folder as the index Apache page will be accessible via the web. So, files in that folder or in folders in that folder will be accessible via a standard hierarchy; root/folder/folder/file etc... Anything above the root where the index is is not accessible via http, but can be accessed via script.

If you want to be able to view the contents of a directory that does not have an index file in it, that is allowed by default unless you specifically prohibit it via .htaccess.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:55 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Thanks Rob, I will pass on the info.

I use .htaccess on my server for my home page so I can view the contents of it to access files and post pics here.

If you know anyone who can help him get his Vbulletin up and running too, let me know.

He is anxious to get his forum up, and I already made him a few templates as can be seen in the drop down list here.
apg1 through apg5
Not done with them yet, just getting a few made to try out once his forum gets online.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Corey
Thanks Rob, I will pass on the info.

I use .htaccess on my server for my home page so I can view the contents of it to access files and post pics here.

If you know anyone who can help him get his Vbulletin up and running too, let me know.

He is anxious to get his forum up, and I already made him a few templates as can be seen in the drop down list here.
apg1 through apg5
Not done with them yet, just getting a few made to try out once his forum gets online.

you put the files in the proper directory root, and untar the files. Then point your web brower to the install script. It has a nice wizzard kind of thing. If you follow the instructions on the Vbulletin web page, you should have no problem.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:26 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

He dumped the entire contents of the VB setup folders into the root of Apache so we could see them online.

He clicked on the install.php file, and it said mysql was not setup or something.
At this point in time, he really needs someone to log into his server with him and try to get this going.

He is a gamer, not a coder, and not use to dealing with all of this stuff

Now setting up Counter Strike Source on his server was a breeze for him, and doing all the customizing of scripts for it.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Corey
He dumped the entire contents of the VB setup folders into the root of Apache so we could see them online.

He clicked on the install.php file, and it said mysql was not setup or something.
At this point in time, he really needs someone to log into his server with him and try to get this going.

He is a gamer, not a coder, and not use to dealing with all of this stuff

Now setting up Counter Strike Source on his server was a breeze for him, and doing all the customizing of scripts for it.
Is mysql load on the server?
Old 09-06-2005, 04:58 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

As far as I know it is.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:04 AM

.htaccess is needed on subsequent directories on the web tree.

initially, the http.conf file takes care of everything.

but let say a folder under the web root needs to be controlled, you make a .htaccess and place the normal stuff in there.

this is the site i learned my stuff initially on:

http://www.javascriptkit.com/howto/htaccess.shtml
Old 09-16-2005, 04:05 AM

one more cool thing is WEB DAV on apache.

with it, you can use windows XP network folders and access directories in apache in explorer:

www.webdav.org

i have it running on a win2k (apache 1) and an xp box (apache 2).

Last edited by ldivinag; 09-16-2005 at 04:06 AM.