Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

stereo advice. (decent aux. in HU & 10" sub/box/amp)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 11:38 PM
BAZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
stereo advice. (decent aux. in HU & 10" sub/box/amp)

As the title states.

I'm tired of my fm transmitter for my ipod. It sounds all distorted and makes whiney noises through the speakers when I turn my lights on. I'm running an old school Eclipse 54400 HU right now that I love but I need a deck with aux. input. Circuit City has a deal going on right now with a sony deck that has aux. input on the front for like 99 bucks installed. I would like to spend around $150-$160 tops.

The one thing I dont like about the sony is that the aux. input is on the front. i think i'd prefer the wires to come off the back.

I've decided that a kicker comp 10" would be sufficient for my needs. i listen to a lot of drum and bass, punk, and metal. They are pretty cheap and seem to get good reviews from everyone. What box should I use with this sub?

As far as powering the sub, any suggestions on a cheap amp to run the kicker?

As you can tell, I'm not a huge audiophile but would like to build a decent budget setup that wont take up too much room in my '94 extra cab. I'm sure a decent 10" and small amp would be more than enough for my needs.

Last edited by BAZ; 04-23-2006 at 11:51 PM.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
these subs are nice http://www.millionbuy.com/kik05cvr104.html i would get this amp http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/S..._by/sell_price and for a box i would get a vented one

Last edited by Elton; 04-24-2006 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:53 AM
BAZ

Thanks for the suggestion.

I would really like to get just one decent 10" and an amp to power it. Do you think that one of these would do the trick?

Also, what stands out on that amp that would make it better than another?
I'm not that smart with car audio as you can probably tell. Would any ported 10" box work well or do different sizes/shapes sound better.

Anyone else want to chime in?
Old 04-24-2006, 08:58 AM
Contributing Member

a cheap amp well just sound like crap trust me on that i would get a good name brand amp and yes i think it should sound good...... i would get this box price anit to bad http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/S..._by/sell_price
Old 04-24-2006, 09:09 AM
Contributing Member

and for the deck cant go wrong with pioneer http://www.cardomain.com/item/PIODEHP5800MP
Old 04-24-2006, 09:34 AM
BAZ

I like the look of that pioneer. i've never really been a big fan of their decks but this one looks nice. I've heard that I have to control the ipod through the deck with the poineer. Is this true?
Old 04-24-2006, 09:40 AM
Contributing Member

you have to buy this to use a ipod http://www.cardomain.com/item/PIOCDIB100
Old 04-24-2006, 10:11 AM
BAZ

Wow dude, that sucks.

I really like the idea of being able to control my music through the ipod, not through the deck. That would get way too tedious.

What about this deck? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-I...spagenameZWDVW

I found one locally that seems to be in pretty good shape. Havent heard much on Clarion though. Not sure if they are up to alpine/pioneer quality.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in your same boat, looking for a decent setup. So far I have an Alpine HU w/some 6 1/2 and a 10'' MB quart. I need an amp. Go to crutchfield they have an amp for about $100.00, it has great reviews, I'm looking to pick one up within the next few days. It's a PROFILE AMP. As far as the IPOD I too had a problem, I went to best buy and found a Peripheral adapter. My alpine has a cd changer AI-net, the peripheral adapter goes into the AI-net. You then get 3 options from that adapter a dedicated ipod adapter/rca's(for xbox,laptop,dvd,etc)/ and a 3.5mm jack for mp3,Xm or siruis porable device.
The reason why I got that adapter was to be able to have IPOD and Satelite radio hooked up to the alpine HU. Right now my XM radio device is runnning off radio freq; like the way your IPOD is set up, it sucks. If your HU has a cd changer input get that adapter from best buy for $59.00
Old 04-25-2006, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by BAZ
As the title states.

I'm tired of my fm transmitter for my ipod. It sounds all distorted and makes whiney noises through the speakers when I turn my lights on. I'm running an old school Eclipse 54400 HU right now that I love but I need a deck with aux. input. Circuit City has a deal going on right now with a sony deck that has aux. input on the front for like 99 bucks installed. I would like to spend around $150-$160 tops.

The one thing I dont like about the sony is that the aux. input is on the front. i think i'd prefer the wires to come off the back.

I've decided that a kicker comp 10" would be sufficient for my needs. i listen to a lot of drum and bass, punk, and metal. They are pretty cheap and seem to get good reviews from everyone. What box should I use with this sub?

As far as powering the sub, any suggestions on a cheap amp to run the kicker?

As you can tell, I'm not a huge audiophile but would like to build a decent budget setup that wont take up too much room in my '94 extra cab. I'm sure a decent 10" and small amp would be more than enough for my needs.

What makes some amps differ from other amps is the quality of parts used. I guess the biggest difference most people would notice would be the transisters. For a non-audiophile this wouldn't mean much.

Look into the Alpine CDA-9856 and the Ipod adaptor for it. That is a pretty nice unit with the basic features that I would look for in a radio...namely 3 RCA outputs and subwoofer controls to start off with. Next you could probably find a deal on the Eclipse CD3000. Similar features to the Alpine piece. the main difference in my eyes would be the cosmetics.

For the Kicker sub, can you build your own boxes? There are some guys out there that will sell you box plans for about $6. These enclosures would help your subwoofer use the amplifiers power more efficiently give you the best bang for your buck. If you can't build one or don't know how then I could help you in that department.

Cheap amp? I've always liked the MTX Thunder amps and a few of the Kenwood amps. Heck the best cheap amp I've had so far would be the Power Acoustik Gothic OV-1200. You can usually find those amps used for less than $100 shipped. The only issue with that amp is the sheer size of it. If space is limited then I would think about it some more.

edit: I just re-read your post. The MTX Thunder 282 can be found for about $80 shipped. If your Kicker is a 4ohm sub then it should work just fine for you.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:35 AM
BAZ

Originally Posted by NisAznMonk
What makes some amps differ from other amps is the quality of parts used. I guess the biggest difference most people would notice would be the transisters. For a non-audiophile this wouldn't mean much.

Look into the Alpine CDA-9856 and the Ipod adaptor for it. That is a pretty nice unit with the basic features that I would look for in a radio...namely 3 RCA outputs and subwoofer controls to start off with. Next you could probably find a deal on the Eclipse CD3000. Similar features to the Alpine piece. the main difference in my eyes would be the cosmetics.

For the Kicker sub, can you build your own boxes? There are some guys out there that will sell you box plans for about $6. These enclosures would help your subwoofer use the amplifiers power more efficiently give you the best bang for your buck. If you can't build one or don't know how then I could help you in that department.

Cheap amp? I've always liked the MTX Thunder amps and a few of the Kenwood amps. Heck the best cheap amp I've had so far would be the Power Acoustik Gothic OV-1200. You can usually find those amps used for less than $100 shipped. The only issue with that amp is the sheer size of it. If space is limited then I would think about it some more.

edit: I just re-read your post. The MTX Thunder 282 can be found for about $80 shipped. If your Kicker is a 4ohm sub then it should work just fine for you.
Wow, thanks for the response. I might be picking up a nice clarion deck today for $150. It's the one I posted a link to earlier in the thread. Does anyone have any input on clarions? I'm not too familiar with the brand. It seems to be higher-end though.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:50 PM

I'm installing a new Alpine CDA-9857 Head Unit this weekend and will let you know how it works out. I went with this unit, primarily due to the direct connection to an ipod with just a cable--no adapter--and ability to use for either XM or Sirius. It is Alpine's 2006 HU and supposed to work exceptionally well as an ipod controller. No delay. Display has 2 lines, so you can see artist and album at the same time. Here is a description:

http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/product...model=CDA-9857

Upgrading the four door speakers with Boston Acoustics (6.75" SX65's in front, and 5.24" S55's in rear). Going to see how that sounds before I deal with the front tweeters and subwoofer.

Rob
1997 4Runner Limited 4x2
Old 04-29-2006, 09:02 AM

profile amps are very solid ,reliable and cheap. that do their rated power too. probably the best and cheapest solution for the kicker. id run it in a sealed box. if its a 10" it will probably be happy in .75-1.0 cube sealed. profileusa.com has an online store you can buy direct from. as for the ipod problems. i wouldnt ditch the old eclipse yet. there are r/f adaptors that wire in-line with the antenna and transmit the ipod to your radio. these are much more effective than the little units that just plug into your ipod and send the signal to your radio.