Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

returning my car to stock audio cd player, need help on amp placement

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
returning my moms 4runner to stock audio cd player, need help on amp placement

I dont know where to put the amp inside the car, i have everything wired up but i cant seem for it to fit in.

can someone help please?

i have pictures soon. thanks!! if not, is there a sticky of a how to on this forum?

I tried flipping the amp in different angles and I couldnt find a way to stick it in or screw it in. Can someone please help!! Thanks!!

Last edited by yongxing; 06-09-2006 at 06:11 PM.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:08 PM
Contributing Member

What kind of car?
Old 06-09-2006, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by gapguy
What kind of car?

It is on a 4runner 2001, thanks!

i just need a good place to put this amp, i cant believe i didnt take pictures of it.

well, i also want to know if it is possible to install a sound system with an amp and subwoofer in this car suing stock cd player.

thanks

Last edited by yongxing; 06-09-2006 at 06:12 PM.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This is where it would be on a 94....not so sure about a 3rd/4th gen

Old 06-10-2006, 05:30 PM

thanks bumpinyota, i got it back in place and it is working great.

also one quick question, do you know how to set this up?

I just need to know how to connect those wires and plug in the L and R RCA things for my Amp to work. Anyone know? I am really bad in Car Audio.

<-- Do I still need this harness or only when I plan on getting aftermarket CD player?

Thanks again bumpinyota

<- a more detailed picture of where I need help. I just want to connect my stock cd player with my amp.

Last edited by yongxing; 06-10-2006 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:47 PM

Ok well "E" is a Line Output Converter or "LOC" or "packadapter." What it does is convert a high level output signal (speaker leads out of the amplifier) into RCA level signal. The brown wires on the LOC are usually meant to be grounded if the signal being fed to the LOC is very weak....im not sure on specifics on that however... The other wires coming off of "E" are the speaker level inputs. Basically there should be white, white/black, gray, and gray/black coming out of the LOC. White is left positive, white/black is left negative, grey is right positive, and gray/black is right negative. Typically you tap those wires into the OEM wires going to the rear set of speakers. This way you can lower you sub's volume by fading forward. The RCA jacks are the LOC's output and your RCAs plug into them so as to supply your amp with the proper signal.

The Remote wire should be hooked up to the amp turn on lead, or the ACC. I say just hook it up to the ACC circuit, since the deck may not like turning on 2 different things at the same time.... Either that or you could add a relay..hehe But just tieing into the ACC circuit (and fusing it at 5amps) would be the most simple option and would work perfectly!

What are you trying to accomplish with the LOC? Add subs to the OEM system? If so you'll need to tap into the rear wires right after the amp. If you do that be sure to turn the gains down on the LOC if it has them....

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 06-11-2006 at 05:20 AM.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:39 AM

bumpin yota to the rescue again, thanks!!

i am just trying to add a subwoofer to the stock cd player if i ever drive it again.

if i do something wrong, what is the worst that can happen?
i am still kind of confused. i guess i can take pictures of it so that you can approve before i start the car. thanks
Old 06-14-2006, 12:25 AM

Bump.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by yongxing
bumpin yota to the rescue again, thanks!!

i am just trying to add a subwoofer to the stock cd player if i ever drive it again.

if i do something wrong, what is the worst that can happen?
i am still kind of confused. i guess i can take pictures of it so that you can approve before i start the car. thanks
What's the worst that could happen? Hmmm

Blow up the subs, the amp, burn up the OEM HU, and perhaps start a fire....lol How often does that happen? Well you'd stand a better chance of being hit by lightning than your car being immolated...hehe However I LOVE scaring customers, "sorry sir when we were working on your vehicle, we had to call the fire department...." LOL

I have a pack adapter here in my tool bag, once I get back from my belt test in TaeKwonDo tonight, Ill take some pics and show ya.
Old 06-17-2006, 05:43 PM

I have an amp and subs hooked up through my stock head unit on my 2002 4runner, and had to use a RCA convertor similar to yours. I took pics during the install, and can post those up in a day or two. They're on a computer at work and I haven't transfered them to my home machine yet.

But to install the RCA convertor and amp, use this connector diagram to guid you to which wires need to be spliced into:

I realise this is a large pic. This is intentional in the event that you wish to print it and keep as a reference.

These will be the connectors that plug into your stock amp. You will want to keep the stock amp wiring harnesses for this installation.

The RCA convertor should come with 4 wires: two white wires, and two grey wires. One of each color should have a black stripe. This black stripe indicates the negative (-) for each speaker, and the corresponding positive (+) will be the wire without the stripe.

My RCA convertor did not come with the brown wires like yours has, but those wires are most likely for accesory connections or possibly a ground connection. Either way it should come with a diagram. If not, try finding one.

For my aftermarket AMP turn-on (which is nominally a blue wire) I spliced into the wire labeled as "H" in the diagram above.

For the left and right channels, just look at the diagram and splice into the appropriate wires. I recommend crimped connectors, or at the very least using solder and shrink wrap. Twisted-and-taped connections are not the best way to go about it.

I'll try to post a couple pics next week...
Old 07-16-2006, 04:52 PM

thanks for all the help guys!!! I really appreciate it. Any pictures for the retarded people like me? Thanks