Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Q-Logic Custom Kickpanels

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 01:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cebby
We're building you something custom. I need something too.
Welcome back stranger, I thought you were out of town until after new years. I'm planning on ripping into the dash to install the new head unit tomorrow.

Bill
Old 12-28-2004, 01:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm in Boston. Heading to Maine on Thrusday. Fortunately, my bro-in-law has cable!!
Old 12-28-2004, 07:49 PM

Here's a pic of the custom p which I designed and constructed, and IMO they are much better than the Q-logics because they don't cut into your limited foot-room and don't get kicked by your feet.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:52 PM

I meant custom "pods", not "p". Sorry. I also made the door panels themselves - extra sound deadener and nicer weather sealing than stock :-)
Old 12-28-2004, 10:05 PM
Contributing Member

While I don't do any heavy wheeling, I do go mudding about every weekend or every other weekend depending on conditions and my schedule so they do see quite a bit of action, along with my size 14 boot they have gotten alolng pretty well. I have added a strip of weather stripping to the husky liners where I had to cut them to get them to fit and it works fine, water still puddles up, mud...well mud just kinda sits there anyway and the snow does the same as water. The lack of footroom is barely noticed after about a week or two, honestly, I forget that they're there.

I love them, but thats just IMHO.

Fink
Old 12-31-2004, 05:13 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by CrazyDiamond
Here's a pic of the custom p which I designed and constructed, and IMO they are much better than the Q-logics because they don't cut into your limited foot-room and don't get kicked by your feet.
That's pretty cool! Is the pod all fiberglass? Cebby, is this more along the lines of what you were thinking about building?! I would like to angle the speakers a bit for better imaging though.
Old 12-31-2004, 08:08 AM

Actually, the pod is scuplted from 1.75" thick MDF. The high density of it really tightens up the midrange and projects better than fiberglass. I did a spray-on epoxy coat to waterproof the whole pod, and dynomatted behind the door panels I made. I have refinished alot of my dash in black (looks AMAZINGLY better than all the stock grey) and the black door panels really look sharp with it.

Incidentally, the tweeters are angled towards the passengers, so imaging is pretty damn good, plus I have a set of 4" components in the dash. Trust me, the accuracy is quite good. THe best part is that you still have all of your foot/leg room. The magnets on those components were huge, so I had to do a very slight grind to a metal door piece behind the door panel...other than that, though, the fit is a piece of cake. I used the kick panels, instead, to house my 4 crossovers :-)

Thanks for the input!
Old 12-31-2004, 08:16 AM

Here's a few pics of the interior and how it all looks, for reference.
Old 12-31-2004, 04:19 PM

I think a combo of Crazydiamonds and a custom kick Bill. I'll be back Tuesday - we can figure out a time next week (or weekend) that works then... We'll do some brainstorming.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:56 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Cebby
I think a combo of Crazydiamonds and a custom kick Bill. I'll be back Tuesday - we can figure out a time next week (or weekend) that works then... We'll do some brainstorming.
The wife is leaving for a business trip to MEXICO wednesday morning, so I'll be home with the boys through this weekend. Lets make a plan to get something in the works this week if possible.