Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Power Antenna won't function after new HU

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Antenna won't function after new HU

New to the Toyota forums. Hoping to get a helping hand. I just installed a double din Clarion HU, CD Changer, 6.5 doors, 4 rear doors, 10" sub and amp into a 99 4 Runner.
Here is my problem: The power antenna no longer works. I connected the remote turn on wire from the Clarion HU with no luck. I've checked the fuses in the engine bay next to the battery, and the fuses on the driver side panel, and they all are good. I then ran 12V, 5 amps of current to the power antenna wire, and it still did not go up.
Is there another place for the power antenna fuse? Is there a relay that may have burned out after the HU install? Does something else need to be grounded?
I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:15 AM

It should just work if the right wire is connected. Did the antenna draw 5 amps??? If so, i think your motor is shorted, 5 amps is huge!!
Old 07-14-2006, 12:15 PM

The remote turn on shows 12 volts going into the OEM harness. I ran a wire with a 5 amp in line fuse which had 12 volts, to the power antenna. I can't tell if the antenna drew 5 amps, but it did have 12 volts. Is there some sort of a relay that may have blown? Or does the antenna have to be grounded?
Old 07-14-2006, 08:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mine worked fine after hooking up to a non-toyota HU

to rule out the possibility that the HU is not defective, do as you did and connect a wire from a tested working (and fused) source to the input/signal of the antennae

I'm including a few shots from info regarding a 1999 4Runner SR5

this one can come in handy if it is just a fuse, if it is, then the other things in each chart would not work either, but if all is working, then it is not a fuse
Old 07-28-2006, 01:07 PM

make sure you have both of the blue wires (blue and blue w/ white strip) wired together. i just installed my HU and my antenna works finish... little different though, with stock it was only up when the radio was in use, not when i was playing CD's now its just always up when the car's on and goes down when i turn the car off
Old 08-03-2006, 11:20 AM

First, thank you wjwerdna for the wiring skematic. That was a great help. I am going to run through the rest of the checklist and see. At this point, everything in the fuse chart is working as before. I think I can then rule out a blown fuse.

As far as the head unit goes, I have 12 volts from the remote turn on (blue wire), which also turns on the amplifier.

Any ideas on how to test the Auto antenna relay?

In regards to the blue and blue/white wire, it is my understanding that the blue/white wire is specifically for the power antenna. It will raise the power antenna when the tuner is in use, but when the CD player or the CD changer is in use, the power antenna will go down. At the same time the solid blue wire is specifically for an amplifier or relay to turn on anything (ie: amplifier or neon lights etc) while the head unit is on. But it can be used if there is not a specific power antenna wire.