Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Opinions on your "inexpensive" dvd setups

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 06:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions on your "inexpensive" dvd setups

I'm think about getting an inexpensive dvd setup (to keep the kids quiet). How happy are you with yours and what brand/model do you have? My biggest problem with the cheap ones is that the screens look so washed out.

Any links to reviews/dealers would be appreciated.
Old 07-30-2004, 06:59 AM

What do you mean by "DVD setups"?

For the home (i.e. DVD player, receiver, speakers, tv)?
- Toshiba DVD player ($100)
- Onkyo, Harmon Kardon, or Denon receiver (~$250)
- KLH sub/satelite speaker package ($400)

For the car (i.e. kenwood, alpine, whatever)?
- no idea

Portable players?
- Kawasaki player from Target ($180). Good battery life, brightness and contrast adjustments, video/audio out. Had it for about a month, so no comments on durability. So far a very nice player.
Old 07-30-2004, 08:06 AM

for the car (portable). thanks for the reply
Old 08-01-2004, 08:22 PM

My inexpensive setup.

My 1997 Limited has a relatively inexpensive setup. I have a Fahrenheit DVD unit and monitors in both sunvisors. The displays can be seen anywhere in the truck. (The driver side monitor is essentially useless since I only use it while I am waiting at a drive thru). Anyway, I paid a little over $420 for the setup. (300 of that was in for both monitors.). The fahrenheit dvd player has no amp so I ran the audio out into my alpine aux input so I can control the audio output with my alpine headunit. Both units fit in the double DIN space. Hope this helps.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:34 AM
Contributing Member

I'd honestly go with a portable DVD player. They are relatively cheap and combined with an FM modulator and cig adaptor...they are excellent for road trips. I picked up a Toshiba 1200 something from Sears to try out. I dont recommend the model as the sound was VERY faint from the speakers...but otherwise it made my batch party trip down to New Orleans a blast. I hear the Toshiba 2000 is AWESOME though. The ability to take it on an air plane or plop in your bedroom (if you dotn have a dvd player there) makes it a great little purchase. TOP of the line ones are around $400 too...still under the cost of an decent indash car player.

Nevertheless, if you want to go indash...Ive had 2 setups. It's all about the screen. You can pick up a cheapo 12v DVD player and it will look nice as long as it's on a good screen. Ive had a Kenwood Touchscreen and a Pioneer widescreen. Both were excellent. You'll find that with the big brand names you'll get a much higher "nit" than with off brand products. That nit is the brightness level that allows you to see it in daylight. But I really dont think you want this setup as it's too $$ for your purposes...so ill stop.

I'd go portable DVD player from Best Buy or somewhere and get the 4 year waranty or whatever they offer...try out the cheaper model and see if you like it...then return it if you want the bigger screen and other features. The Toshiba I got came with the cigaret adaptor and dual headphone jacks...nice addons you'd probably buy eitehr way. So figure that into your cost.

For reviews check out cnet : http://reviews.cnet.com/Home_video/4...vd&qt=Portable

Some reviews: http://www.reviewcentre.com/products428.html

Just google portable dvd review and you'll find a bunch. But Id just look through the best buy online or costco.com if you have a membership - find the model you want...then google that.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:52 AM

Go portable.

In dash = $$$, our headrests do not properly fit screens in them. At least not any decent sized ones, mine are about as big as you can go, and honestly I don’t think they were worth the effort I put into them. They do not have the best quality picture (cheapo e-bay). Fold down lcd’s are not very easy to install with a sun-roof.

With a portable, at least you can take it out anywhere, into a hotel room, on a plane. You have a lot more options to keep the kids quieter for a longer period of time.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:56 PM

Here is my setup. I use the Panasonic DVD-LV65 portable player. Velcroed on to my cup holders. That little blue and grey thing is a transmitter from irock! that plugs into the audio out port on the dvd and transmits the sound to your truck's radio (30 bucks at radio shack). The DVD's batteries last about 3hrs. Or I'll use my power inverted to power it. It works very well. I really like this particular player because you can clearly see the screen from side angles as it plays. The screen also pivots making adjustment much easier.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-03-2004, 03:36 AM

I gotta agree with the portables. They can be had as cheap as $150. Some of the best in dash DVDs units such as the new Pionner with all thoes cool engine readouts and built in navagations runs into the $2000 range. My eclipse ran into the $1200 range. Though I got a smashing deal, for it.
Old 08-03-2004, 05:09 AM
Contributing Member

I got a super deal on my clarion touch screen flip out. Just keep your eyes open and if you wait, you will catch a deal like I did.
Old 08-03-2004, 06:23 AM

Wow... didn't know I had all these replys... Thanks for all the info!