Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

New Stereo Vs Ipod ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Stereo Vs Ipod ???

I have a pioneer stereo in my truck now. The last two I've had have had cd problems. I'm at the point now where I want to shoot it cause I can rarely play cd's let alone listen to a whole cd. The am/fm is fine. I'm trying to decide if I want to get a whole new stereo or if I want to get an Ipod and get the fm transmitter thing. I'm scared to buy a new stereo and have the same problems. I've always had pioneer so I'm not familiar with anything else but the last two have been headaches. The Ipod seems easy enough but yet I'm afraid to get that too since it will cost alot to download all the songs I want

Any suggestions??
Old 10-17-2005, 11:30 AM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
you could always rip the CDs you do have an put them on an iPod... that way you dont ahve to download them. if i had the choice, i would get an ipod over a new cd player.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:37 AM
Contributing Member

yeah, get the ipod. since ive had mine, carrying around all my cds with me just seemed silly in retrospect.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:33 PM

The iPod is cool and convenient, but the sound quality is still much better on CD. If that's not too big of an issue, go for the iPod.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:41 PM
Contributing Member

id get the stereo unless your current one has an aux in...ive just never had good luck with those modulator things
Old 10-17-2005, 02:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ya, don't go with the transmitter. If you can get a direct wire to run from your Ipod to your stereo it'll sound much better. Theres a few threads about connecting your ipod to your headunit, I just started one recently for my alpine headunit.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:58 PM

I guess in a way the sound quality is an issue. I was trying to build up my stereo system and was getting a little proud of how it sounded. Now with not being able to play the cd's there isn't much boom in my truck lol.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:00 PM
Contributing Member

well, you can score a nice headunit off ebay, use your cd's if you want or take a ipod with you. Im putting my ipod in the truck so i dont have to deal with my cd changer or my book of cds that weighs 20 lbs.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:26 PM

Well I certainly like the idea of no cd's floating around. That's one reason I had a CD changer. I hate the Cd's floating around cause they get all scratched up.

I like the idea of the Ipod but I guess I don't know as much about them yet. Been reading about them some in the last couple days on here.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:52 PM
Contributing Member

Best of both worlds would be to get a new headunit that has a front aux port and then buy an Ipod. You would connect the Ipod to the headunit through the front aux port and it will sound great. You will then download all your CDs to your Ipod so you don't have to deal with CDs in the car.

I have this setup and am very happy with it. FM transmitters just suck, especially if you live in a highly populated area that has a ton of radio stations.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:11 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Hijack on

I am Ipod challenged and still use them thare round thingies called CDs, I even got a few tapes and God forbid some actual vinyl.

How much money is Mrs. Crash looking at in hooking up an Ipod? Just how much music does an Ipod hold? Forgive me, but how do you get the CDs on the Ipod? Don't laugh...I told you I was Ipod challenged, but it sounds much easier to carry and Ipod in a trail rig for tunes than CDs as I can only have a few at a time so I can lock them up in my center console.

Hijack off

Thanks. Be gentle.

Old 10-17-2005, 09:27 PM
Contributing Member

Depends on the size of the ipod. Nano is 200 i think? 4gb??? about 1000 songs. I have a 20gb and have just over 4000 songs. they go all the way up to 60gb now with video on the new ones, but you dont a video if all you want is songs.
To get the cd's onto your Ipod, you download a program called Itunes. Itunes stores all your music, allows you to set up Playlists and also purchase cd's thru the Itunes music store as well. To put a cd on there all you do is open itunes, put the cd in your computer, and copy the music. The songs will automatically download into your Itunes.
If you already have songs on your harddrive, you just drag them into itunes. simple as that.
To get the songs onto the ipod itself, all you do is open Itunes, plug the usb cable into your computer, the other end into the ipod and it will automatically put the songs onto the ipod, as well as your playlists if you'd like.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:08 PM

I believe the one I was looking at. The 20gb one I found at wal mart for around $200.00
I deffinatly like the ease of the Ipod. I'm hoping that once I've downloaded the songs from the Cd's I like that it wont be too expensive to add all the new songs I know I will want.

I had looked into the newer cd units that have the built in fm transmitter. is this the thing you are talking about ebelen ? The only ones I had found so far was the Pioneer. As I said. I love Pioneer but I'm a little nervous of buying another one when I've now had issues with two of mine.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:28 PM
Contributing Member

Which model do you have? Is there a P before the number? Like "DEH-PXXXX" or something?

If so, you can hardwire the iPod right in and forget about the CD...but ONLY if it has that P.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:46 PM
Contributing Member

does your head unit you have right now have an input for aux/cd changer?
Old 10-18-2005, 09:01 PM

Yes mine is a DEH-P550MP

here is some specs on it.. Pioneer site didn't want to load for me so maybe it's having issues Premier

Last edited by Mrs. Crash; 10-18-2005 at 09:05 PM.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by gapguy
Which model do you have? Is there a P before the number? Like "DEH-PXXXX" or something?

If so, you can hardwire the iPod right in and forget about the CD...but ONLY if it has that P.

I was showing my husband this comment and he said " i wonder how??" so he asked me to reply and ask how you would go about doing this.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Mrs. Crash
I was showing my husband this comment and he said " i wonder how??" so he asked me to reply and ask how you would go about doing this.
With this!
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-KrSazIN...0&I=469PIOPRCA
Old 10-18-2005, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by gapguy

lol thank you. I was just going to post that I should actually search more before I kept asking questions. :p
Old 10-18-2005, 09:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
mrs. crash,

i have something similar made by a company called Precision Interface Electronics. quite possibly they might have a solution that just plugs directly into your (future) iPod without buying another set of RCA to 3.5mm cable like the one Gapguy posted. see my writeup at http://www.4runners.org/articles/pie

Bob

Quick Reply: New Stereo Vs Ipod ???