Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

New Stereo Vs Ipod ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 07:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
mrs. crash,

i have something similar made by a company called Precision Interface Electronics. quite possibly they might have a solution that just plugs directly into your (future) iPod without buying another set of RCA to 3.5mm cable like the one Gapguy posted. see my writeup at http://www.4runners.org/articles/pie

Bob
The one he posted is made by Precision Interface Electronics.
Is it different somehow?

Oh and I read your write up. Good job, I'll deffinatly show it to Crash when it comes time to use it hehe.

It looks like this type of cable is the way to go. It's a more permanant type thing then the fm transmitter anyway right?? I've never seent he Fm Transmitter plugged into one. Crash has. From all the feedback so far it sounds like I deffinatly want to stay away from one of those anyway.

Thanks everyone. I'm feeling smarter already

Last edited by Mrs. Crash; 10-19-2005 at 07:36 AM.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:57 AM
Contributing Member

Bob's is a little different in the sense that his has a 3.5mm plug (that goes into the iPod) on the end of it with a long cord, rather than a short female RCA socket. The solution would be to buy an RCA to 3.5mm plug cable in the length of your choice.

Edit: I prefer Bob's cable over mine since it's less crap to buy, it's great if the cord's long enough for you.

Last edited by User 051420; 10-19-2005 at 07:58 AM.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:14 AM

Oh ok. After looking at them I thought maybe the only difference was that one was for his Alpine Stereo and the one you posted was for the Pioneer. Sorry, I'm kinda stupid when it comes to all this stuff. I always want the good stuff. Just don't know anything about it.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:26 AM
lee
Contributing Member

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f5/ipod-ipod-mini-owners-look-here-69537/

here, i posted this thread on a great great product
Old 10-19-2005, 12:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4Runna
The iPod is cool and convenient, but the sound quality is still much better on CD. If that's not too big of an issue, go for the iPod.
accually.....anytime you rip a cd your decreasing the SQ unless you use FLAC or ALC...which makes songs about 50mb and they still arent full quality....its nearly impossible to reproduce quality unless directly digital to digital (i mean stragight ones and zeros..)

I have the alpine headunit link for my HU and an alpine head (duh) but If i place the song from the CD than again from the ipod at 160kbps (LAMe mp3)the CD is still noticibly better than the ipod....and thats with any stereo.

Quality from your MP3 is GREATLY effected by what you use to encode them...LAME is pretty much the best way to do it
Old 10-19-2005, 01:36 PM
Contributing Member

are there things like this for sony? anything that is direct connect? no fm transmitter cause that I already have
Old 10-20-2005, 10:31 AM

Ipod vs. Stereo

Hello all, new to the forum! (98SR5, Blurple in color - ain't blu, ain't purple).

I have been using CD's in my 98 for over 2 years (FM radio in CT is HORRIBLE!), until I got my ipod. My eyes have been opened! DEFINITELY get the ipod, as you have access to so much more. I download books online, as well as podcasts, that range from everything from ESPN to new music. Plus you can listen for up to 12 DAYS on an ipod without repeating (I have the 20Gb).

Well worth the investment, IMHO.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:49 AM
Contributing Member

even after al the research it seems that the only way for me to connect a sony head unit to my ipod is to buy the 100 dollar auxillary box? has anybody with a sony found a better way?
Old 11-01-2005, 06:30 PM

Ok while looking at Stereo's today I found this...Pioneer Stereo
I'm a little nervous about pioneer now since our last 3 have not been so hot. But this one seems to have it all. Is it too much or???
iPod® Adapter Ready!
iTunes® AAC Playback Compatibility
Old 11-01-2005, 06:35 PM

Oh and the other question for the Pioneer guru's... I thought Premier was just pioneers "high end" models? This model I am looking at is in both the pioneer and premier. Same thing as far as I can tell. Same model numbers too.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
mrs. crash,

going back to the previous posts and to your "is this a good stereo" question, save yourself a lot of money by NOT buying the suggested pioneer CD-IB100 ipod adapter. all it is is a stupid, high priced hardware solution that will allow you to control your ipod through your headunit. alpine has one too. i dont konw about you, but i dont want to lose the ability to control my ipod's music/songs from the ipod unit itself.

i posted my writeup on the subject to you before but here it is again: http://www.4runners.org/articles/pie. i emphatically esuggest you re-read it again! it is a $30 solution. just make sure that PIE Inc makes a cable adapter that fits whatever headunit you buy.

btw, im very happy w/ the alpine HU i bought from a member on the forum. alpine is some good stuff!

bob
Old 11-01-2005, 11:06 PM

Is that an Ipod Nano? I haven't had the chance to actually see one in person, but that thing is slim!

When did you do this upgrade bob? I was thinking the amp install was plenty fo ya

Oh, and you're a mod? I didn't know that either :pat:
Old 11-02-2005, 12:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
nam,

i did this a few weeks ago. i bought the nano a few weeks before that. i use it for the gym but i'll plug it in the alpine on occassion.

yeah, the nano is friggin niiiice only 4gb of memory, but plenty enough for me right now

bob
Old 11-02-2005, 07:48 AM

Oh no, I didn't want the pioneer head unit thing. I just meant the stereo. I figured that it just meant it was more compatible and I'd still be able to hook it up with some other form besides what they were selling. I read your write up and the thread Crash started about which ones to use. I just didn't know if all the "goodies" on the stereo meant it would be more compatible or not? The only thing I'm finding about Crash's Nano is that I'm not super happy with how hard it seems to be for me to scroll through each thing and I"m not sure I want to try and do that while I'm driving. He seems to navigate it just fine.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really like the decks that can play mp3 cd's. You can fit around 10 cd's worth of music on a single cd, and jump around the whole disc. And you can brose by folder and file. I am on my second Panasonic deck now, had one in a truck I sold.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EWAYota
Depends on the size of the ipod. Nano is 200 i think? 4gb??? about 1000 songs. I have a 20gb and have just over 4000 songs. they go all the way up to 60gb now with video on the new ones, but you dont a video if all you want is songs.
To get the cd's onto your Ipod, you download a program called Itunes. Itunes stores all your music, allows you to set up Playlists and also purchase cd's thru the Itunes music store as well. To put a cd on there all you do is open itunes, put the cd in your computer, and copy the music. The songs will automatically download into your Itunes.
If you already have songs on your harddrive, you just drag them into itunes. simple as that.
To get the songs onto the ipod itself, all you do is open Itunes, plug the usb cable into your computer, the other end into the ipod and it will automatically put the songs onto the ipod, as well as your playlists if you'd like.
The only 4 Gig for 200 dollars is the ipod mini. Pretty sweet tool i have one personally. I spent 5 bucks to hook it up to my H/U becus i have an aux. input like a headphone jack in the front of the H/U. The nano for 200 bucks is a 2gig and holds 500 songs the 4 gig nano is 250 bucks and holds 1000 songs like the cheap mini and there is or was a 6 gig mini that holds 1500 songs for 250 bucks and the 30 gig can hold 7500 songs and the 40 can hold something like 10000 songs i think. I hope this helps.

Last edited by 86SR522REEFI; 11-10-2005 at 08:40 AM.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Etype R
I really like the decks that can play mp3 cd's. You can fit around 10 cd's worth of music on a single cd, and jump around the whole disc. And you can brose by folder and file. I am on my second Panasonic deck now, had one in a truck I sold.
This is the way to go. If you ask me, iPOD's are terrible at organizing your music. Unless your ID3 tags are spotless and consistent, you can get your Artists doubled up. Another note on organization, if I threw all 40 gb of my mp3's on an iPOD, I would NEVER be able to decide what to play when. With MP3 cd's, you can put roughly 100 songs on a cd, which is a very manageable chunk. It lets me put all the albums of a single artist on one cd (usually about 7 or 8). Just my personal opinion.

And the sound quality issue which has been noted is huge. I would never use one of those awful FM modulators. If you're dead set on an iPOD, fork out the cash for a digital connection or you're wasting your time (think cassette quality sound and you're close).

Quality is also an issue. I've heard so many horror stories about batteries crapping out on iPOD's, and since Apple is proprietary, it takes them months to fix at insane prices (~$200). Plus, if you ski like I do, your iPOD probably won't work well in cold weather. My friend's lasted for like 10 minutes on a "full charge" while my 128 mb Rio lasted for days.

There's my rant on iPOD's. Personally, they're just not durable or big enough (HD wise, I need at least 200 gb) for me yet.

Peace,

J.