Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Ipod Photo Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ipod Photo Install

OK, so im in the process of upgrading my 1 GB shuffle to a 30 GB Ipod Photo installed in the runner. I have a vision in my head of installing it into the center console on the top end of the armrest. The location is important, because I would like to be able to change tracks without having to reach down onto the dash or anything of that sort. The problem is whether i fab a new arm rest and install it into that... or do i modify the existing arm rest. I have to re upholster it either way. If i could just ask for any suggestions as to how i should go about this, even a rough sketch from some of the better engineers here.. the dimensions of the ipod are 4.1 x 2.4 x .63 inches and with a cover it will be slightly thicker, I really appreciate the help.. you have any more questions or if I need to be more specific PM me, thanks guys.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i cant get a mental picture of what you mean...in the armrest, or below it...u got a picture of the center console?
Old 07-25-2005, 05:11 PM

on the top of the arm rest, making it easily accessible without having to lift the arm rest. Basically laying flush into the arm rest, but since there is a cover on the ipod you would not see the ipod with the cover closed... just black leather on top of black leather... imma photochop some pics really quick and post them..
Old 07-25-2005, 05:29 PM

Quick Chopped Pics for help

here are :rough: pics
Attached Thumbnails Ipod Photo Install-original.jpg   Ipod Photo Install-cover-closed.jpg   Ipod Photo Install-cover-open.jpg  
Old 07-25-2005, 07:09 PM
WT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you considered one of these ??
http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...uct_id=12-2312
I was looking at one for mine when I am on my motorcycle, so I dont have to run the wired remote and should work well and allow you to put the ipod any were but you wont be able to see what the song actually is bit should be able to change tracks and stuff.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:51 PM
Banned

doesnt belkin or someone make a ipod holder that fits in a cupholder? that seems easier to reach than on the armrest
Old 07-25-2005, 08:15 PM

i dont have the cup holders down there (havent done that mod yet). Ive considered and decided on not having one of the radio shack ones, or any FM tuner. I already have the audio cable ran from the headunit to the 3.5 mm jack, i currently use it for my ipod shuffle. Im going to get the belkin auto kit... this allows for only one cord to be hooked up to the iPod and it will play through it AND charge.... I am pretty set on the location of the iPod... i have double sided taped it and have marked off the exact position... basically im fighting as to whether it would be easy enough to build a new armrest with the hole already in place... or to use a factory one from the junk yard and modify it... I appreciate the other suggestions but I have this picture in my head and I am a lil stubborn, besides it will look very nice once its finished (the cover for the ipod and the leather for the interior is a very close black... the ipod is just a lil shinier) Im also asking as to how... (what tools and such) you guys would recomend for something like this. Im sorry that I dont punctuate and I have horrible gramatical skills, but I jus need to think out loud sometimes and YOTATECH is the only place where Im allowed to do this and not be flamed... thanks again.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
you know, a few weeks ago i was about a click away from buying an ipod mini and the same question came to my mind as well. since you have a crappy, slideout cupholder like mine, i considered building a stabilized ipod mount right on the slideout cupholder. because of some of my prior custom work (cupholder mod, switches, etc) i have all the tools and knowledge to do this. it would involve a lot of custom work, finding the right materials, fiberglassing, bondo-ing, sanding, plastic building, etc. bottom line: if you have the right tools and knowledge, it can be done and look totally stock!

doing it this way would allow you to easily (and safely) change your music without looking dangerously down and behind you like you are proposing.

just a thought

bob
Old 07-25-2005, 08:55 PM

bob, you're a sly sly man, that thought hadnt crossed my mind...but the idea has potential. I, by no means, have the right tools to do something of that caliber ( I did my custom leather interior without the use of hog ring pliars...hehehe... zip ties and elmers....) but if you get something of that sort going... I am creative enough to dumb it down to a couple of small adjustments... I think you have something... but I dont have the tools to do it... any chance that you could build two? Ill buy from u... its only a suggestion.... keep in mind that i have the burtman synth woodgrain kit...so i would like to keep that front plastic piece so that it is smooth.... but thats nothing that plastic cement cant fix after its all said and done... I dont know...I like you bob...er... um... not in that way or n e thing.. but..are you saying something to add to the original cup holder? or are you saying replace everything from the inside and have the ipod able to slide into the dash (because that would be ridiculously sweet)? umm... i dont know... the wheels are turning again... i gotta come up with something.... aghhh... i think its a good idea... can you get me a rough sketch of what you mean?
Old 07-25-2005, 09:11 PM

Ok, so kill me now for watching Pimp my ride one too many times...but what if the whole cupholder ipod was motorized? The ipod slides into the dash when you turn the rig off... when you crank the car the cup holder opens and angles downward, revealing the ipod... kind of like the mechanism for a TV in the car only upside down....jus a thought... a really bad thought that I might not ever accomplish, but just the thought of it puts a smile and makes me wanna break out the hack saw and some linear actuators...

as peter griffing would say:

friggin sweeet.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:11 PM

S,

sly nuttin'...i'm the shizzle manizzle! heheh

hey first off, is shirley your name? or the 4runner's name? if i address you as shirley and you got an appendage, i dont wanna offend

ok, check out the attached pic

1) is the top view. basically, i would figure out a way to use the frame of the cupholder and make a solid tray. that tray would hold the ipod cradle thing and then i'd fill in the remaining void with some solid material and then plastic adhesive/putty (sandable). of course, the cord would run through the back and down into the back of your head unit

2) this is the side view. the ipod would be tilted back and slightly tilted towards the driver. who cares about the passenger . one of the things i'd recommend though is to figure out a way to LOCK THAT DAMN SLIDING CUPHOLDER! that thing vibrates like crazy and a locking mechanism to keep it solid would do your eyes wonders when driving

thats my thoughts. if i had an ipod and a lot of time to do this, id do a writeup for you. but that's my thoughts on the subject.

bob
Attached Thumbnails Ipod Photo Install-ipod.jpg  
Old 07-25-2005, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Shirleyda4runner
Ok, so kill me now for watching Pimp my ride one too many times...but what if the whole cupholder ipod was motorized? The ipod slides into the dash when you turn the rig off... when you crank the car the cup holder opens and angles downward, revealing the ipod... kind of like the mechanism for a TV in the car only upside down....jus a thought... a really bad thought that I might not ever accomplish, but just the thought of it puts a smile and makes me wanna break out the hack saw and some linear actuators...

as peter griffing would say:

friggin sweeet.
that would be sweet but totally unnecessary. you'd have to then gold plate your interior

bob
Old 07-25-2005, 09:17 PM
Banned

man that is one cool idea bob

i'd love to see that come through, and maybe do it for myself in the future
Old 07-25-2005, 09:18 PM

i was gonna post that it is a good thing that I am not the only one that thinks about this crazy stuff at 1 am, then I realized that you live in cali... but ive always thought that half sleepy thoughts are sometimes crazy enough to work...thanks for the quick diagram its a durn good idea... imma try and get some sleep even though now im thinkin about this mod way too much (shirley is the runners name by the way) i really like the idea and ill look into it tomorrow.. thanks a bunch.. if you get n e more ideas... doenst hafta be ipod related... jus drop me a line... i like knowing that Im not insane for loving my 96 runner with 200,514 miles on it.... hehe i jus recently broke that 200k mark... i meant to post it... but i was on the way to myrtle beach.... and then i forgot....yes, I do have ADD ill PM you with anymore quetions.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:29 PM
Contributing Member

I have an Ipod set up in both of my trucks.
It is a Kenwood stereo, with the RCA inputs in the changer plug of the stereo. That goes to the 3.5mm jack. And like you, I have the Belkin car kit that the 3.5 mm plug goes into, then the Belkin plugs into the bottom of the Ipod and plays and charges at the same time. It works and sounds perfect.

About the mounting place, I think the armrest is a real bad idea. I have a 40 gig and about 5500 songs on it. When I am searching for songs in the truck, it takes a little time to get the exact song or band I am wanting. If you are the same, I think it is a bad idea to the ipod low like that and have to take your eyes off of the road to search, especially if you get stuck looking for just the right song.
If you are thinking of making a mount built into the armrest, That means you will have to stop almost anytime you search for a song. If you do the velcro, you will have to have wire hanging around your center console to lift it up to see it.
There are other ways of doing it that is not only cheap, but very easy and makes it very easy to use the ipod while you drive.
I will go take a pic of my holder and that might give you another option.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:39 PM

to add to livelarg's post, i'm almost certain that there are window mounts for the ipod and in combination w/ one of these wireless things, that would simplify your mounting and display options immensely

(but it wouldnt be as cool and unobtrusive as my idea. tee hee)

bob
Old 07-25-2005, 09:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
(but it wouldnt be as cool and unobtrusive as my idea. tee hee)

i agree
Old 07-25-2005, 10:11 PM
Contributing Member

Here are a couple of pics of my setup. the "Bling" factor is low, but that doesn't mean much to me. I am one of those crazy people that think when you are driving, stop F***ing around and drive.

The mounts stick to the window, and I can safely drive and search for music at the same time, I can also see what is playing and use all of the other functions on the Ipod, (calender and phonebook) easily.
The mount is from radioshack and cost $5. so I spent $10 mounting them in both of my trucks. Sometimes they have trouble finding the exact mount, and I hade to go to a couple of stores to get them, But I can supply the item number if you need it.
I have to say, the Ipod is the single best item you can add to ANY car or truck. I have about 500 full CD's with me at all times, plus about 20 podcasts if I feel like listening to news of comedy or whatever. You will love having the Ipod in there.

P.S.
If you can avoid using the fm transmitters if possible, you will always lose sound quality with them, there a many inexpensive alternatives.
Attached Thumbnails Ipod Photo Install-dsc00193.jpg   Ipod Photo Install-dsc00194.jpg   Ipod Photo Install-dsc00196.jpg  

Last edited by livelarg; 07-25-2005 at 10:13 PM.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:23 AM
Contributing Member

I recently installed the 60GB iPod photo with the Alpine AI-Net adapter. iPod is controlled via the HU. iPod is stuffed away in the glove box as it can't be controlled save by the HU or HU remote.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:15 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by yabedude
I recently installed the 60GB iPod photo with the Alpine AI-Net adapter. iPod is controlled via the HU. iPod is stuffed away in the glove box as it can't be controlled save by the HU or HU remote.
I was thinking of trying out the Alpine with the AI-net Ipod interface. I got a real good deal on a nice Alpine.
I was reading on the Alpine website that the HU only has memory enough for a few hundred song titles or artists. I thought it would play right off of the Ipods memory. But I think it would suk to only be able to search through a limited amount of your artists.
How does yours work? can you see all of your music on the HU? If I cant get all of my music, I am going to return the Alpine.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Ipod Photo Install