Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Ipod controllers for Sony HU's

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 08:36 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ipod controllers for Sony HU's

I am looking for Ipod controllers for Sony HU's. I did a search on google and came up with tons and tons of variations of the same thing.

My question is, which one do you have and what do you dislike and like about yours?

Some models allow you to control the Ipod through the HU...i think this would be a pita. the Ipod interface is easy to use and I couldnt imagine using it on a HU.

Also, I may need to get one with a charger. I dont have to have a charger, but it would be nice and convenient. Please share your opinions!

Thanks!
Old 11-28-2006, 11:46 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Localmotion
My question is, which one do you have and what do you dislike and like about yours?

Some models allow you to control the Ipod through the HU...i think this would be a pita. the Ipod interface is easy to use and I couldnt imagine using it on a HU.

Also, I may need to get one with a charger. I dont have to have a charger, but it would be nice and convenient. Please share your opinions!

Thanks!
Matt, I really like my Alpine 9856. As far as controlling the Ipod through the HU, this is the only way to go IMHO. Reason is you don't have to try to change the songs while driving. The best way to use these HU controllers is to create playlists. Since I use playlists all the time, this was a no-brainer for me. Another reason to get an integrated HU is it charges your Ipod and you can leave the Ipod hidden in your glovebox.

I can't believe how happy I am w/ this setup. Another cool thing for me is I disconnect the Ipod while the truck is at work and I plug the sucker into my speaker system for my office.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ebelen1
Matt, I really like my Alpine 9856. As far as controlling the Ipod through the HU, this is the only way to go IMHO. Reason is you don't have to try to change the songs while driving. The best way to use these HU controllers is to create playlists. Since I use playlists all the time, this was a no-brainer for me. Another reason to get an integrated HU is it charges your Ipod and you can leave the Ipod hidden in your glovebox.

I can't believe how happy I am w/ this setup. Another cool thing for me is I disconnect the Ipod while the truck is at work and I plug the sucker into my speaker system for my office.
ahh ok. I think my HU has integrating capabilities. I am going to have to double check. As far as brands, Belkin keeps popping up. Is there a brand name I should stay away from? Which do you recommended?
Old 11-28-2006, 04:27 PM
Contributing Member

ahh ok. I think my HU has integrating capabilities. I am going to have to double check. As far as brands, Belkin keeps popping up. Is there a brand name I should stay away from? Which do you recommended?
If your HU has integration, all you need is a cable (Sony-specific cable) from the HU to the Ipod. This is how my HU works as it is an Ipod unit.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:31 PM
Banned

I dont have a direct jack for my Ipod on my Sony CDX-MP70 head unit. I do have an aux port though. What is the best way to connect my ipod to the HU?
Old 11-30-2006, 07:46 PM
Contributing Member

Well i would say the best way to connect it would be the iPod cord that would plug in to the back of the unit. If that doesn't work you can always get a male to male 3.5 mm cord that would hook in from the auxillary input to the head phone jack on the iPod
Old 11-30-2006, 07:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nc994run
Well i would say the best way to connect it would be the iPod cord that would plug in to the back of the unit. If that doesn't work you can always get a male to male 3.5 mm cord that would hook in from the auxillary input to the head phone jack on the iPod
thanks rob!

I am looking for brands though. PIE is a great brand from what I hear but they dont make anything for sonys. I also want to be able to control the ipod using the ipod instead of the HU.

I dont want an FM trasmitter.

Can anyone shoot me any links Sorry for being a baby. I just want to buy it right the first time.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:19 AM
Banned

I called crotchfield and they told me that my HU wasnt IPOD compatable. Are there any universal adapters I can get? I have 3 RCA outputs and only 1 of them is being used. ALso I have a cd changer slot that is not being used. Thanks
Old 12-01-2006, 06:23 AM
Contributing Member

I called crotchfield and they told me that my HU wasnt IPOD compatable. Are there any universal adapters I can get? I have 3 RCA outputs and only 1 of them is being used. ALso I have a cd changer slot that is not being used. Thanks
If you have an aux output in back, you just need the male to male cable. Nothing fancy or specific names, you can get this type of cable from bestbuy for under $10. Once you've plugged this into your aux output, you connect your Ipod, move to the aux field on your HU and you control the Ipod on the Ipod. The sound will come out on your speakers.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:37 AM
Banned

here are the types of connections I have...sorry for being a nub

Connections

* Connections type
* System components control bus, Audio line-in, Front channel output, Rear channel output, Front speakers output, Rear speakers output, Subwoofer output, Remote control

* Connections qty
* 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 1, 1

* Connector type
* RCA phono x 2, RCA phono x 2, Mini-phone 3.5 mm
Old 12-01-2006, 12:11 PM
Banned

well...

after some thought, I pondered if I could just buy a Y cable and hook my ipod directly into my HU. Went to radio shack, bought the Y cable, and it worked!!!

So the cable cost me 8 bucks and now I can play it over my speakers!!!! just need to find a charger and Im all set!
Old 12-02-2006, 03:08 PM
Contributing Member

Most truck stops sell car chargers that plug into the cig outlet for $15 at most. I got mine at a trcuk stop for 12.99 ish