Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

How can I add a subwoofer to my stock headunit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the reply brother,

what do you mean radio fuse slot...

you mean attach the remote wire to the wires behind the fuse box???

this is the only problem i have...

well that and the fact ive already hooked up the wires (unfortunately before the factory amp )

i hope you respond soon, before i destroy my 4Runner!
Old 03-30-2005, 08:48 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by toy_yoda
thanks for the reply brother,

what do you mean radio fuse slot...

you mean attach the remote wire to the wires behind the fuse box???

this is the only problem i have...

well that and the fact ive already hooked up the wires (unfortunately before the factory amp )

i hope you respond soon, before i destroy my 4Runner!
toy yoda,

sorry for the delayed response, life sometimes takes off on ya & it can be hard to catch up to it when it does!

anyway, what i meant was: after you've removed the drvrs. side kick panel, locate & remove the blade style fuse for the radio (the schematic/wiring diagram is located on the back of the small access door on the kick panel).

then, take your remote wire & strip about 1" off of the end to expose the wire & fold the exposed wire twice so that you end up w/about a 1/4" of wire.

bend this into a "L" shape & insert the short end into one side of the retaining clip for the blade style fuse (i pushed mine in w/ the back of the "L", or the long end, against the side of the fuse socket [you know, all of the fuses have their own little socket-pocket-whatever]so that only the folded up wire was slide in between the blade retaining clips) &, while holding the wire in place, FIRMLY press the blade fuse back into it's pocket, forcing the remote wire firmly into place w/the fuse on top of it.(you might have to reduce the stripped 1" of wire to just a 1/2" of wire & then fold it, depending on how virgin your remote fuse panel is &/or your ability to coax something big into a space meant for something small!)

what this will do is turn your amp both on & off w/the radio power button/knob &/or, no radio-no amp, which goes along way to prolonging battery life, especially for those of use who tend to forget the damn remote switch when we've partied too hard.

hope this helps, if not, i'll bearound for a little while.

later

Last edited by frankenrunner; 04-04-2005 at 09:40 PM.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:08 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bamachem
Don't waste your time with a line level converter. You'll end up with the same distortion and you get by just using the line level inputs on the amp. Why buy another $20 adapter when the amp has one built in???
I know the post is old, but this is kinda why I am regretting buying that NAV HU. I knew there was a reason I wanted the Eclipse AVN2454, but has like a 1 volt pre out signal. Just get ahead of myself when I get mod happy and forget why I wanted to stick with my original ideas.
I want to go for SQ but there is probably not a clean high voltage signal, and no rca's. What to do? What to do?