Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

faceplate swap only

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
faceplate swap only

I have a Alpine CDA-9811 headunit installed in my 4runner. It doesn't have an auxiliary jack or USB hookup. I want to buy a different Alpine faceplate with an aux. and USB jack. Is it possible to just swap the FACEPLATE with another Alpine so I don't have to jack with dash in tearing it all apart? It was already tore apart once before I bought it and it shows by the missing rivets. Does anyone have any insight on this?
Old 10-25-2010, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by madbomber08
I have a Alpine CDA-9811 headunit installed in my 4runner. It doesn't have an auxiliary jack or USB hookup. I want to buy a different Alpine faceplate with an aux. and USB jack. Is it possible to just swap the FACEPLATE with another Alpine so I don't have to jack with dash in tearing it all apart? It was already tore apart once before I bought it and it shows by the missing rivets. Does anyone have any insight on this?
if the old radio was installed using an installation kit, you should be able to slide the radio right out and slide the new one in, depending on the cage. alpine changed the style of cage they use a few years ago. if im correct the 9811 is less than 3 years old so you should be fine with the cage. if it is not cage mounted, but rather iso mounted you would have to remove the entire radio surround from the front of the center console up to the top of the dash basically. you cant just swap the faceplate, it will not work. if an older radio doesnt have an aux input, there would be no way for the new face to tell the radio to use the aux jack.

there are several adapters avaialable that plug into the cd changer port in the back of that radio. it has a set of rca cables on it that you can hook a 3.5mm jack into and listen to anything that has a standard headphone jack. im pretty sure i have one of them laying around that i could sell you for cheap, this way you dont have to spend the money on a whole new head unit. the unit i have is the alpine kca-121b

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-7ZRSlCV...t-Adapter.html

Last edited by drpdmazda; 10-25-2010 at 06:04 PM.