Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

cb radio in 4th gen, and antenna help

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile cb radio in 4th gen, and antenna help

i searched and couldent find a toppic on this.. so here it is i geuss??

so i cleaned my garage yesterday and found my dads old cb radio from 1982,when he used 2 drive across America. im 2 lazy 2 go in my car right now to tell u what make and moddel it is, but ill post pics of it later..

ok sooo,, i wanted 2 install this bad boy sooo bad.it even had a pa switch,,i could have loads of fun with that

but dident want 2 wire it up 2 my car and take things apart.my dad would trip if i did, i looked around online and found that car lighter to 3 pin plug.. it looked like a better idea. i herd radio-shack had it, apparently the did not couldent find the lighter part so i said skrew it, ill just wire it some whare hidden. found the perfect plug under the drivers seat for that lumbar. "the bag that fills with air for the arch in the seat", i cut it,put in the positive wire and used those little electric caps that u clap tight, and taped it up. my dads a pro at eletriconics so i learnd how 2 do it legit from him when i was a kid.

by the way it was hard 2 find a spot 2 put the radio in the 4 th gen, most of u already know. every thigs so compact.and i dident want it on the dash, but i found the perfect spot in the center console. it took some thinking because i could drill no holes in the car because my dad would rip me a new one. so i did some nice cable management under the side of the center console and ran it down the crack where you pop the console off by. its hard 2 explain.. the pics will explain all of it.
i grounded it 2 a bolt that screws into the chassie, wallah!! power!

so it works!

but i got a really cheap antenna from a friend. its horable!! its k mart quality..its some magnetic one.. but not even good. no name brand

this is where i need help. i barley get any signal.i can hardly hear any words from people on the radio. i had 1 conversation with some guy 10 miles away. but thats the only person ive herd. every one else is just fizz and clicking noises. i tried 2 talk with a friend 1 mile away and it still dident work clearley.
all i ever hear on it is noises and ocasianl voices
i need a new antenna badley. and as some of u know i have no money. i think this is the problem and not the radio, because when i gass the car u hear the engine on the radio, if close the trunk the radio will pick up it, it even picks up other cars engines driving by. idk why, could some body explain this 2 me? im confused.

im goin 2 a junk yard soon, i herd they have tons of cb antennas. but i want 2 make sure its my antenna and not something else so i dont waist money.

what type of antenna do u guys reccomend. i mean its a junk yaard.. ill get what i can. but are the hard antennas better han the whips and stuff like that? i cant drill it on. and it cant be too tall. the most 2 1/2 -3 feet. i saw a luggage rack mount that would be perfect, but i am not shure if it would work with what ever antenna i get.

sorry about all the confusion and questions ,, i just need 2 know whats up so i dont spend money on the wrong thing.

i am going 2 use the radio for emergencies and stuff like that, or talking 2 friends while offroading. not so much a toy..maybe the ocasinal chat with some truckers too

i will post pictures later to night.. im too buisy right now..

thanks guys.. u help me out so much all the time.. im a noob, but learning slowley thats 2 you <3
Old 04-16-2009, 09:59 PM

the pictures

tell me if i did anything wrong.. it could be the ground, but i dont think so. it goes to the frame of the car under the bolt.

i was gona take pics of the antenna. but its too dark. and my next door neighbor was lookin at me funny like i was crazy
Old 04-16-2009, 10:08 PM

You need to match the radio to your antenna. Go to radio shack, ask for an SWR meter. Read the instructions on how to match your antenna. Takes about 5-10 min.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:14 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Errgg, Shoddy to say the least, Run the wires straight to the battery, You CB will thank you with Great and CLEAN performance, That ground isnt much of one..

Old 04-16-2009, 10:14 PM

yeah.that SWR meter tuner.i was thinkin of that. ima go pick 1 up when i get some money. none of my friends have one.

is it normal for radios 2 always make fuzz sound? mines treeiblee .. it clicks and squeels 2 the poin u dont want 2 use it.. i hope a tuning will fix that. i still think i need a new antenna to. its soo bad .aha

thanks man

thanks
Old 04-16-2009, 10:47 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
No its not normal, That ground isnt a good ground..

Old 04-16-2009, 11:17 PM

i just read a big article and found out the best way for power is through the fuse pannel in a empty slot. and puting a spade connector on it 2 fit in in the fuse connector . plus you can pick switched or unswitched power ( so if you leave it on it dosent kill your battery) it will only work when the car is on.. but if you car ignition breaks, you can move it 2 a unswitched connector.

it said to put the ground wire on a crimp connector skrewe it on to chassis its self in a hidden spot.

then you tune the antenna.

this sounds good prittey good 2 me. that way i have proper power, proper ground, and a proper antenna tune... now i just need 2 learn what fuse 2 put it in ...crap....i know nothin on the fuse pannel... aha need 2 go resherch!

thank 4 the help guys.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:16 PM

never mind guys.. instead of buyin that cigarette lighter adapter that i couldent find, i made one for 1.99 $ ,,,walmart

its perfectttt.and its nice because my cb had no fuse in the wire.. so the adapter has one in it.

no more fuzz or sounds at all... and the antenna works actually pretty good.. talked with some one south about 30-40 miles away,,,

i like how i can take it out easy too. this has 2 be the easiest way 2 install one.. 5 minuet installation.

thanks for all your help and ideas guys