Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

96 t4r limited - new HU with stock amp?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96 t4r limited - new HU with stock amp?

Just pulled out the stock stereo to put in an aftermarket stereo and it looks like the stock stereo has an amp behind it. Do I need to remove the amp when I put in the new stereo? The new stereo is a cheapie $120 panasonic, but has cd (the stock stereo is just a tape deck). How difficult is it to remove the amp?

Thanks for any help.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
yes u have to remove the small amp to install a new cd player
Old 10-08-2007, 06:39 PM

Most people just bypass the OEM amp while leaving it in the truck with an aftermarket HU.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can do this, but its probably gonna sound better using the new HU's amp anyways.

you will need another wiring adaptor to keep the stock amp.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:56 PM

Thanks guys - now here's my latest idea - i'm on a very limited budget. I've got a 50 w per channel HU, and a 8-10 year old Rockford Fosgate 80x2 amp. I'm thinking of putting in the amp for the rear speakers, then getting a cheapie $75, 350 w powered bass tube from Pep Boys. I think I can split the bass tube off the rear speaker wires.

The idea is to have decent power to the rear speakers from the amp, 50 w to the front speakers from the HU and a little boom from the pep boys bass tube. I shopped around for a better bass tube, but the prices jumped to over $200.

Does this sound like its worth the effort? Maybe forget the amp and just do the bass tube? Also - if I run the rear speakers off the amp via the rca outputs, will that leave extra watts to run the front speakers, or will the front speakers remain at 50 watts?

I don't expect crystal clear sound (obviously) but want something a little better then the stock tape deck.

Thanks
Old 10-09-2007, 10:48 AM

I guarantee your new HU is nowhere near 50watts per channel...probably closer to 10-15 RMS.
If I were you, I'd focus my energy and limited budget on your front soundstage. If your RF amp is truly 80w rms x2 than I'd get some decent front speakers and run the amp to those. Than run the HU power to the rears and not worry about getting a bass tube.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:33 PM

Whitey hit the nail on the head...Your front soundstage is where you spend the most time on proper installation, damping and placement. I don't think you've ever gone to a concert and had the band play behind you, right?

With an amp like that, you could power a nice component set for your front stage and will drastically improve your listening experience then having the sound come from behind you. As far as getting a Tube from Pep Boys, just save $ for another month and even with something like $200-$300, you can get a mid level sub, box and a low end amp

If you need any help, let me know and I will gladly help you out. Audio is a drug to me lol
Old 10-09-2007, 07:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
for a sub check out the infinity basslink. GREAT little sub. they sound awesome, take up little space, and dont cost too much.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:23 PM

Whitey, Hotler and Mac - Thanks for the advice. I'll try the new HU with the RF amp to the front speakers and hook up the HU power to the rears. Any suggestions on decent front speakers for cheap? Do you know what size fits the front doors of 96 t4r? I'm assuming 5 1/2 or 6" speakers.

What do you guys think of Mac's suggestion re: the infinity bass tube? I'm finding the 10" one for under $200.00. I like the easy install and simplicity of the powered sub over separate sub and amp.

Thanks
Old 10-10-2007, 04:38 PM

Ok guys- i'm in the process of the new radio and amp install. I've got the radio mounted (had to remove the trim ring around the radio to fit behind the console).

Now, on to the amp. How do I hook up the amp with the wiring connectors?

Plug RCA cable into front speaker connection on hu, run to amp and plug into amp RCA input. Then what? Run speaker wire from amp back to hu wiring connector (instead of front speaker wires coming from hu?)

Thanks
Old 10-10-2007, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by hpctoy
Ok guys- i'm in the process of the new radio and amp install. I've got the radio mounted (had to remove the trim ring around the radio to fit behind the console).

Now, on to the amp. How do I hook up the amp with the wiring connectors?

Plug RCA cable into front speaker connection on hu, run to amp and plug into amp RCA input. Then what? Run speaker wire from amp back to hu wiring connector (instead of front speaker wires coming from hu?)

Thanks
This should cover most of your install questions. Don't be shy if not...
http://4runners.org/writeups/stereo/index.html
Old 10-10-2007, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by hpctoy
Whitey, Hotler and Mac - Thanks for the advice. I'll try the new HU with the RF amp to the front speakers and hook up the HU power to the rears. Any suggestions on decent front speakers for cheap? Do you know what size fits the front doors of 96 t4r? I'm assuming 5 1/2 or 6" speakers.

What do you guys think of Mac's suggestion re: the infinity bass tube? I'm finding the 10" one for under $200.00. I like the easy install and simplicity of the powered sub over separate sub and amp.

Thanks
Crutchfield lists your stock front speaker size as 6 3/4.
I picked up a set of PG Rsd 6.5 " components after seeing many rave reviews about them. Do to chronic pain as the result of a reoccurring back problem I have yet to install my new gear. When I do, I'm going to properly deaden the doors.

I've seen decent feedback about the bass link and that may be the way to go if you're on a budget. If I were in your shoes I'd get a nice 10" (or 12") in a sealed enclosure with an appropriate amp to compliment it. Keep an eye on craigslist to find some good deals. There is always car audio stuff on the 'list in my area.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:45 PM

stereo update

So, I took the advice I got from you guys and hooked up the Rockford Fosgate amp to my front speakers which i bought a couple months ago (Alpine Type-S SPS-17C2, 50 Watt - 2-way - coaxial 6.5" speakers (the box says 250 watts peak, 50 watts rms). Put them in my 96 4runner with an inexpensive panasonic head unit and they sounded better then stock.

Tonight I hooked up the Rockford Fosgate amp I had lying around (probably circa 2002). The Amp is a RF 2600x, Dynamic Power 2x85 watts into 2 ohms, RMS 2x60 watts into 2 ohms. There is a crossover card that I set to "full". I left the rear speakers hooked up to the "rear speaker" outputs on the head unit.

I hooked everything up and it sounded MUCH better. I played some loud rock and roll and some hip hop off the radio for about 5 minutes. I then noticed that the left speaker got buzzy and doesn't get very loud. I double checked all the speaker connections and they seem good.

Is it possible, or likely, that I blew the speaker?

Any ideas/input are appreciated.