Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

2nd Gen Sub Locations.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 09:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd Gen Sub Locations.

A friend of mine just got me started on my stereo install whether I like it or not. I was visiting him the other night and he gave me a 10" Kenwood KFC-W3003.

I need an enclosure for it, and an amp to power it. Any tips on a good amp to match it, and a good place to put it?
Old 10-10-2004, 12:53 PM

i ran two of those with a 900 watt fosgate amp. I really like those subs they hit hard and sound real good. I had a ported and sealed box, i thought the ported box sounded a lot better.
Old 10-10-2004, 01:22 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Put the sub in the rear with a box that angles up slightly.
The sound wavs bounce off the rear window and fill the whole cabin with bass.

All you need in a 2nd gen is a sub woofer and two 6.5" speakers in your front doors.
You do not need rear door speakers at all.

This combo with the correct amp(s) will be more than enough to fill the rig and neighborhood with sound.
http://pnw4runners.com/tando/stereo13.jpg
http://www.pnw4runners.com/cargobox/box7.jpg

Run a strap over the box like in the 2nd pic.
There are two D rings on the floor in the correct location to put your box right behind the seat.

With a good strap, the box will not go anywhere, even upside down.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:40 AM

depends on how much you wanna spend...

a cheap box can just sit in the back to a hidden enclosure...

take your pick.
Old 10-11-2004, 06:32 PM
Contributing Member

So an angled box in the rear eh? I'd like to not have it in the same location as you Corey, I have a couple dogs that need the space. Would tucking it into a corner still sound good?

I read that the 6.5's don't need any special fabrication other than just cutting a hole and plopping them in (roughly), correct?

What's a good 250w amp for the money?
Old 10-11-2004, 06:32 PM
Contributing Member

Hah!

Old 10-12-2004, 06:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Scofco
Hah!

roflmfao!! I'd have to give the kid props though!! LOL That kicks ass.

Ehhhh dogs + system = destroyed system no matter what you do. Same with small kids in place of dogs, therefore both should be tied to a tree in your backyard. j/k of course....lol

your best bet if you have dogs is to fire the sub into a corner or into a wall to protect it....
Old 10-12-2004, 06:17 AM
Contributing Member

or just put one of those metal grill over the sub. thatd protect it.
Old 10-12-2004, 06:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by doink
or just put one of those metal grill over the sub. thatd protect it.
Not really. Most of the grilles that ive seen would easily allow an animal to place it's foot and therefore weight on the subs cone. And when the animal panics from something touching it leg further up than at its paw, it will likely panic and break it's leg/foot.....

The grilles that do cover the whole face of the sub are usually not sturdy enough to keep from collapsing under the weight of a larger dog...
Old 10-12-2004, 01:15 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Scofco
I read that the 6.5's don't need any special fabrication other than just cutting a hole and plopping them in (roughly), correct?
See my website in the audio section on how I have 6.5" speakers in the doors.
There is a link on the audio page too that will take you to another page of mine on the door pods themselves.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:44 AM

As for the sub enclosure, If you go to www.sounddomain.com and go into their cardomain store - they have a section with open box items that are discounted. There is a box in there that is slot ported and good quality for 1 10" that will run you around $50 (or you can build it yourself if you have the tools and the time - it's not too hard).

For an amp, it depends on what wiring configuration you are going to run (if it is a DVC - dual voice coil sub). If you have it wired into 1 ohm then you are going to want to get a 250 w RMS mono sub amp - but make sure that it is 1 ohm stable. If you are going to run 4 ohms (which I would reccomend), then get a cheap 2 channel amp and bridge it - and you will have plenty of power.That same site (sounddomain) also has reviews written for all of their amps - but before you buy anything make sure you shop around, they are not always the cheapest but they match prices.

With the dogs, I would say to maybe get one of the grills that is the bars going across the sub, and maybe fabricate some sort of mesh screen over it (you can buy it at home depot) to keep the dogs off. Or you could just face the sub into the rear seats and strap it in. Just make sure your amp is not in a position where it might get stolen, or heat up too much and burn your carpeting/pets.

I would take a look on ebay for the amps, a lot of poeple on there sell them for reasonable prices - just only buy new from the reputable sellers.

Hope this helps.