The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

What do I need for a 3" Body lift? 86 IFS 4x4 reg cab

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 07:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by pyrojoe22
Ya, I'm pretty set on the om617. Just saw the mpg #'s for it though which shocked me. The 4bt is 400 lbs heavier, has a rough frame shearing idle, and costs $2000 vs the light om617 with smoot idle and $300-$800 cost. It just lacks power, and ease of modifying. Both call for a 3" body lift though...

Anyone out on here runnin a 3" BL on their off road rigs?
Im running a 3 inch BL. I personally love it. I dont know why people talk down on BL's. A cheap way to run bigger tires, while not affecting the center of gravity as much as a suspension lift.
Combined with a 1.5 inch sus lift, I am able to run 35's no problem.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
On my 87 4runner, the only thing I had to do was drop the radiator about 2 inches so the fan didnt hit the lower radiator hose. The shifter still works, 4wd likes to pop out of 4 lo, but thats the only problem I have. Im leaving it alone to do a drivetrain lift, so the shifters will go back to normal. The gas filler neck was like a flex hose deal, so didnt have to worry about that. Nothing with the steering had to be changed, and nothing electrical or hoses or brake lines had to be messed with.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skoti89
On my 87 4runner, the only thing I had to do was drop the radiator about 2 inches so the fan didnt hit the lower radiator hose. The shifter still works, 4wd likes to pop out of 4 lo, but thats the only problem I have. Im leaving it alone to do a drivetrain lift, so the shifters will go back to normal. The gas filler neck was like a flex hose deal, so didnt have to worry about that. Nothing with the steering had to be changed, and nothing electrical or hoses or brake lines had to be messed with.
THHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNKKKKKKKK

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-08-2011, 08:17 PM

On another note I think I just found my new best friend over on 4btswaps. He's currently in the process of putting a 4bt into a 1st gen yota. Initially, he said he didnt even need ANY BODY LIFT! So I guess I'll just keep my 1". You guys all seem to be able to agree on justifying at least a 1" body lift at the maximum. It will help to clear things under there a little bit. Also, the OM617 doesn't need any body lift either.

For anyone who's interested in the 4bt, this guy on 4bt said if you don't run an intercooler, you can get that thing in there without firewall mods and just radiator mods. To fit an intercooler, you gotta shove it back into the firewall to get room for that intercooler. I'm looking into other options for intercooling as we speak, but I'll probably end up running without one (they don't come with one stock anyways). He also said with a 5" leaf sprung front end lift and no body lift, the hood would shut and with a rear sump oil pan, the differential:oil pan interference would be easily over come.

Thank you to everyone advising against the 3" body lift, because you all just saved me a good hundred dollars on an un-needed modification!
Old 03-08-2011, 08:22 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No body lift is always the best way to go imo

i dont know much about diesels and turbos and such. But could you run a top mount intercooler?

Like this rx7 for example.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:40 PM

Ya, that was the first thing that popped into my head. Subaru's do that. Just a little intercooler on top with a hood scoop. Apparently they don't give you as much torque since they don't cool things down as well, but with the shorter piping, they'll give you a quicker spool-up. That would require a body lift, or hood modifications to make work, plus it'd be a PITA to work on the engine then... I'm trying to find out if I can just run the radiator on one side and the intercooler on the other (side by side in the front of the truck) and just use electric fans.