The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Gas Tank Relocation

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 09:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas Tank Relocation

I was wondering how many people would be interested in a kit that would relocate, move up, the Gas Tank if you have a body lift. I have a 3" body lift. And since I have remove the two cross members for the rear leaf spring conversion, I am going to move the Gas Tank up 3". I am going to make templates so in case there is an interest. It can be done.

I have removed the two cross members right behind the Gas Tank. Big difference. Lots and lots of space. I am going to put a crossmember/shock mount bar in place of the two removed crossmembers. I will post pictures and let you know how it turns out.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you need to swap the coil for the leaf BEFORE you can move the tank?
I think the upper link mount is in the way.
Old 10-12-2004, 05:19 PM
Contributing Member

That is a good question. In my application, I opted to remove the crossmembers to make more room for everything else. Since I do not have the crossmembers it would be easy for what I was thinking, however, my buddy still has his crossmembers in place and I can look and see what can be done. I will let you know in the next couple of days what I come up with.
Old 10-23-2004, 04:58 PM

Is there any more info avalible?
Old 10-23-2004, 08:02 PM

I glanced at this today thinking about doing the same thing. Looks like the body end of the right upper locating link is in the way. If you found a shop that would shorten your tank by about 6 inches it might work, or if you could pull the tank and cut that lower corner out and fill the hole it would probably work. The one that I saw, the guy just got rid of the stock tank and put a custom tank where the spare tire used to be. Then he built a Y-link and moved the forward link points closer to where the front of the rear driveshaft is. Dirveshaft and link move paralell to each other and flex is better. He also moved the front of the lower links forward several inches to complement the Y-link. Ok, I'm getting a little off the subject of a gas tank lift.

JC
Old 10-30-2004, 09:55 PM

Not confirmed on this yet as my rig is not currently available to use for comparison, but the way Markus redesigned the rear mount I don't think that the current rear mount would cause any problems with any other mounts. It's a great looking setup.
Old 10-30-2004, 10:36 PM

Isn't a stock mid 90's Nissan Pathfinder tank a good fit between the rear framerails? I read this somewhere...
Old 10-30-2004, 10:57 PM
Contributing Member

I'd like to relocate once I get my lift... I'm just going to add a leaf in back and spacers up front... for right now... have any suggestions on what brand of shocks to get?
Old 10-31-2004, 06:33 AM

There are tons of shock choices. We like the Skyjacker Nitro shocks. The Nitro shocks won't foam up as easily as the hydro (and other hydraulic) shocks.
Old 11-10-2004, 07:44 PM
Contributing Member

I have the Gas Tank relocation done and I will get some pictures up tomorrow . It was well, challenging, to get the angles correct and close enough to the frame to keep it out of the way of the driveline. And with the two crossmembers out of the way, it looks so much cleaner up in there. I still have to put one crossmember back in, but that will be for the shock mounts. I so much room up in there, that I am actually thinking of things to put out there out of the way. Like spare batteries, air tanks, stuff like that.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:26 AM
Contributing Member

Unfortunately on the 3rd gen 4Runners, the fill neck on the tank prevents it from being moved higher after a body lift.
I'm gonna start by fabricating a new tank to fit in the back, if the capacity isn't enough, then I'll add a second smaller tank located near the stock area. This will free up the room needed for my new 4-link suspension.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by BruceTS
Unfortunately on the 3rd gen 4Runners, the fill neck on the tank prevents it from being moved higher after a body lift.
I'm gonna start by fabricating a new tank to fit in the back, if the capacity isn't enough, then I'll add a second smaller tank located near the stock area. This will free up the room needed for my new 4-link suspension.
I was thinking something similar, except I wanted to use stock tanks (Pathy for the rear and something else in the stock location) and a dual fill neck like on Slee's site.
Old 11-11-2004, 04:58 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Cebby
I was thinking something similar, except I wanted to use stock tanks (Pathy for the rear and something else in the stock location) and a dual fill neck like on Slee's site.
I thought about trying to fit a current production tank from another vehicle, but I want to utilize as much space as possible, so the tank is as compact as I can get it. Besides the bottom of the tank will also be my 3/16" skid plate.

As for the filler neck, I have another stock assembly that I will weld a "Y" joint. so I'll be able to fill both tanks at the same time. The secondary tank will have a stock fuel pump assembly in it as well, wired up to activate when the low fuel light comes on.
Old 11-14-2004, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by BruceTS
I thought about trying to fit a current production tank from another vehicle, but I want to utilize as much space as possible, so the tank is as compact as I can get it. Besides the bottom of the tank will also be my 3/16" skid plate.

As for the filler neck, I have another stock assembly that I will weld a "Y" joint. so I'll be able to fill both tanks at the same time. The secondary tank will have a stock fuel pump assembly in it as well, wired up to activate when the low fuel light comes on.
what is the deal with the filler neck on the 3rd gens? i had been planning to move mine up when i install the body lift shortly. i never really thought the filler neck would be what prevents it.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:07 PM
Contributing Member

Crawl underneath your rig and look where the hose connects the the tank, then look directly above it and you'll see what I'm talking about. The round cross tube gets in the way......