The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Fillsrunner4.3 crawler (PART TWO) - pic heavy!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 05:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by boxxerace
Nice work and long time, no talk!

I see you went to the darkside with the chebby. Welcome to the club. I am still waffling on a motor, although I am cleaning up my 7.4 liter for sale or for fun.

My runner is all setup for a 4.3 liter, which will allow for a radiator and no body lifts. I still may go the small block route depending on what I find.

Anywho, it is looking like you are making progress. Good work!
Thanks!

Alot has been done although i didn't get the chance to download the pics of it. I got a sweet aluminum radiator just about ready to weld in to the trucks back. I built a frame around it and will have it welded in tomorrow. I got the radiator from a GMC sahara or what ever those big vans are called. The thing fits in the back between the fenders perfectly and its not very tall thus retaining all the visibility I had before the move. I hope to gain a lower hood line too now once I cage the front. Best of all I got it for free I cut out a body mount to the passide to make room for the new lines which I hope to run soon...

Of course I have a deadline to move my truck again thanks to the neighbors And a fat ticket to pay. I have until the 3rd to move it or get it running. I should be getting the Bellhousing adapter early this week I hope. Plus the headers so I can also do the exhaust.

Took my Chevy 350 2WD out last night to Reiter Did amazing!

So yes theres been some progress
Old 07-28-2008, 02:05 PM

Alright time for some pics

Heres the radiator I got. Nice, big and best of all its Aluminum.

Look with the fan. The fan is a bit bigger but once its atached you can see it actualy fits perfectly. This thing is gonna keep me cool thats for sure!

Tabs made from some sheet I had laying around (used 4 total)

Here is the frame Built around the radiator

Added some rubber to keep the vibration down between the radiator fram support and radiator

Bracket in the truck finished

look with the radiator and fan bolted in

Pic behind the seat

Looking back form the driver seat.

Now for the lines, ive just got to run them but thats gotta wait till I get the motor in

Heres a start on the area the lines will be ran.

One body mount must go in order to use this area but thats no biggy the body is going to be attached to the frame once I get the cage on so its not a worry.

And heres a sneek peak on of the motor mounts in progress.

Oh yeah its overkill but when you see it finished youll see why

More pics and descriptions of the build to come but for me its time to get back to some and
Old 07-28-2008, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, can't wait to see it done!

Stupid neighbors!

Guess the fenders didn't fool them? lol
Old 07-28-2008, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by 904_runner
Well, can't wait to see it done!

Stupid neighbors!

Guess the fenders didn't fool them? lol
yeah really I guess I under estimated them a bit on that huh? Oh well ill get that all taken care of.

Should be running real soon I hope Ive got untill august 21 to get it running so I can take it out to Naches on the 22nd

Only got until the 3rd to move it from the parents place though so Its gonna be tight

Old 07-28-2008, 02:27 PM

Bravo. See you soon for the cage?
Old 07-28-2008, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by KellyKel
Bravo. See you soon for the cage?
I hope so

I was hoping to use the bender to make the new coolant lines to the back . Seeing that im not working right now I could pick up the tube and bring it over anyday. You should get me Steves number or let him know Im on my way Trucks got to leave my place on the 3rd so If it would work to do the lines then it would be perfect timing

I still need one of the dies too so Eric can fab up a 1.75 die for it. instead of going with 2" or the smaller 1.5"

Lots of work still to do but its getting there!
Old 07-28-2008, 05:13 PM
Contributing Member

Dude, I am SO jealous! It sucks being out here in the middle of Nebraska. There's like one other YT'er out here and he is over an hour away. I would love to live out where you guys are so we could get together and help each other out. Plus I would really love to get up close to your rig ( and try really hard not to drool on it).
Old 07-29-2008, 07:08 AM

For sure, for sure. I'll give your number to Scott tonight when I see him. Steve is Scott's drunken brother with the GTI, it took me like a month to get them straight. The rebuild really is looking great. Quite impressive considering I remember falling asleep drunk in the back when it was still stock. You should get a job building cakes or something.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by sts2usnss
Dude, I am SO jealous! It sucks being out here in the middle of Nebraska. There's like one other YT'er out here and he is over an hour away. I would love to live out where you guys are so we could get together and help each other out. Plus I would really love to get up close to your rig ( and try really hard not to drool on it).
Thanks dude! Move on out here It seems no one can contain the drooling Ill take that as a compliment

Originally Posted by KellyKel
For sure, for sure. I'll give your number to Scott tonight when I see him. Steve is Scott's drunken brother with the GTI, it took me like a month to get them straight. The rebuild really is looking great. Quite impressive considering I remember falling asleep drunk in the back when it was still stock. You should get a job building cakes or something.
Ya know I kept thinking to myself that it wasnt Steve Im so bad with names but ill get it right now.

Ahhh yes Ive also passed out in the back many a time myself. Now might feel a bit different though

Hoping the bellhousing adapter comes in today but im not going to get my hopes up! Ive got a bit of work I can do till then to keep me busy. Building cakes huh? Will just have to see about that
Old 07-29-2008, 05:53 PM

Alright so in order to do the motor mounts the way im going to I had to do somthing to stregthen up front a bit Of course like everything I do its overkill but ide rather be safer than sorry.

Frame gussets on the front portion of the frame (1/4" the reason so thick??? Free plate ) I could use even just 1/8 to help strengthen the front but this will definetly do

Nothing has been fully welded yet
1 because the weather is crap right now (RAIN of course) and
2 Cause im still waiting for the bellhousing and headers to check for
clearences.

My biggest worry with the thick steel right now is that the headers are already going to be a tight fit. Once I finaly get the parts in ill mock the motor up and see how everything fits. if all works out to fit im gonna be able to hit things VERY Hard up front (dont be in front of me cause im going through you like the neighbors house )
Few more pics

Top plate to give it more of a L shape for superior stength (Note the fit will be flush with the frame once I weld and can munipulate the metal a bit easier into shape)

If you notice in the pic above... there is a space that the plate will not cover at the moment. Inside this area is going to be a full piece of plate that eventualy will be were my (soon to be) winch will reside. This is one reason why I moved the radiator to the back. Instead of having the winch in front of the frame along with the bumper (decreasing aproach angle) I will be able to improve my aproach angle. My tires will also be just about the farthest forward part of my truck. Im wanting to be able to drive straight into a wall and drive up it Thats the goal eventualy. Lots of work is still to be done but due to weather and slow tranist parts in the mail I cant really go any farther at the moment.

Updates to come soon as always

Time to go take a shower and play some
Old 07-30-2008, 12:19 PM

Look what came in today
AA and swap headers. Set up to run 168th Flywheel and mini starter.

Which led to this

So far so good. My friend Erics on his way to come help my rassle this thing in there
Headers look nice and is going to be a close fit but it looks good.
I need a new slave cylinder as I dont think I have the right one. The holes are bigger on the bellhousing and same with the spacer. Not a big deal I can find one from Marlin or Napa no problem
Cant wait to get this thing running and its lookin pretty good
Old 07-30-2008, 12:51 PM

SICK!

Can wait to see it done!
Old 07-30-2008, 03:32 PM
Contributing Member

WOW! This beast is going to be awesome! Can't wait to see it on the trails! Keep up the good work. I always enjoy your completely custom work, very unique rig...
Old 07-30-2008, 09:02 PM

SICK!

Can wait to see it done!
Me too

Originally Posted by YeloSub7
WOW! This beast is going to be awesome! Can't wait to see it on the trails! Keep up the good work. I always enjoy your completely custom work, very unique rig...
Thanks dude! Should be seeing some trails soon! Just a matter of time and work.

I mocked the motor in a bit today, finished welding some of the new plate to the front section of the frame and moved my steering box forward some. Got more to work on in the morning thats for sure. The new AA swap headers I ran into a few issues with. Some sensors on the heads are directly in the way of the headers flanges on both sides. I was able to grind away a good portion on the pass. side but the drivers side is going to take a bit more work. Eric is gonna fix that for me while at work tomorrow and Ive got some welding to do to keep me busy till then. Also the slave cylinder I have apparently isnt going to work. Its a bit smaller than the FJ's I need. Ill order that here in the next day or two. Ive also got to pick up some bellhousing bolts and a few other misc things.

Ill get some pics up later tomorrow and I hope to have the motor mounts, steering and exhaust work done by the end of the coming weekend.

Time to relax and Maybe a or two
Old 07-30-2008, 09:04 PM

Whats your estimated time of completion?
Old 07-30-2008, 09:16 PM

Whats your estimated time of completion?
Well to be completly honest!

Itll never be done!

Theres always more to be worked on. Ill break something here, another there, pretty much till I cant lift another wrench or am no longer on this earth to work on it anymore, thats when ill be done with it!

My goal for this portion??? Is before the 22nd when a bunch of my friends are going to Naches and I would absolutely love to join them aseptically with my 4runner. Ive still got alot of work ahead of me and like everyone $$$ and time is my only setback. I would love to work only on this truck 24hrs a day, but we all know how that is. Truth is I dont know but the sooner the better if you ask me

I love it
Old 07-30-2008, 09:21 PM

Good posting! I somehow forgot once you start modifing its hard to stop.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:26 PM

Good posting! I somehow forgot once you start modifing its hard to stop.
Yeah really

Its my passion so I see no end to the madness
Old 07-30-2008, 09:28 PM

My parents think i am dumb for spending mostly all my cash on my truck (mind i am in college so i don't have much dough yet) but i can't help it.

What can i say, wrenching on the truck keeps me out of trouble
Old 07-30-2008, 10:26 PM

Some people just dont get the hobby and just like any hobby I think you should always do what you love and believe in. Thats enough of a comment to get them and others thinking so they shut up. I get it all the time from family and friends, but Im only here for so long so Im gonna do anything and everything I want too till the end.

Quick Reply: Fillsrunner4.3 crawler (PART TWO) - pic heavy!