The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

1st Gen 4Runner Accessory Guage Pod - pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st Gen 4Runner Accessory Guage Pod - pics

Got kinda bored and had a couple 2" gauges lying around so I decided to make a 3 gauge pod for my 4Runner. I was not lucky enough to get one with the factory clinometer so I decided to mount the pod in place of that unit.

It's not perfect, but it will do. I need to modify my dash mat to hide some of the ugliness, and get some more carpet to cover the pod once installed.

The added water temp gauge is cause mine has an issue where if you tap it it may work for a while and then it goes cold. i checked all the stuff per FSM, and may do it one more time while I'm wiring the gauges. I bought a second T-Stat housing and tapped it for the new sending probe. I know this is not true engine temp, but it will give me a second reference point. The volt meter will be backup for now, and for the second battery later. The third opening will be for an axillary fuel gauge...I have an idea I need to think through about adding a second tank and fuel door on the drivers side. Gonna discuss witht he exhaust shop on that one first to see just where we could sneak the exhaust.

Here are some pics

Old 05-15-2010, 09:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
That's real nice man, good job!
Old 05-17-2010, 11:10 AM

Very nice! I need to building something similar. How are you attaching it to the dash?
Old 05-22-2010, 09:09 PM

Thanks guys....
Mounting was pretty simple....though to do a nice job would require more thought. Under the dash mat is a very dry and cracked dash...so I wasnt concerned about keeping it pretty. I ended up welding a couple tabs on the bottom of the pod and using self tapping screws to hold it down. The dash is metal with foam and vinyl padding. I cut out the foam and vinyl in the hole for the factory clinometer to run the wires. I have to say that the Toyota engineers failed in the design of the dash mounting locations. My old plastic vent on the passenger side disintegrated getting the dash out (stupid hidden bolt). Lots of glue and only one missing piece later and its all back together. I think in the future I can go in through the hole to fish more wires through. So here it is. I still need to run to the upholstery shop and get some more carpet to make a cover for the gauge pod. The wiring is a mess. I'll probably make a cover for the middle opening for now, until I figure out what I want to put there.