Notices
Customer Feedback For Vendors Use this forum for feedback good or bad on vendor's & dealer's you have dealt with

Pepboys

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 09:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pepboys

Yes, I just had the worst experience with my local Pepboys, and even though I am sure there are better ones around, I will not give my money to them ever again.

Story: Okay, so I got an ad in the paper for Pepboys. They had 4 things that caught my eye.
1. Prostop Platinum rotors for $24.99!
2. Prostop Ceramic brake pads for $24.99!
3. Free brake inspection!
4. 5 qts of Pennzoil HM, and a filter for $15.99 (10.99 with mail-in-rebate..)

So, I am all stoked and happy. Run over there, and go to the service department. Some guy is there looking around, and I show him the ad with the stuff. He asks me for my truck year and model (blah blah blah) and tells me they don't have Prostop rotors for my truck.
He sits me on the phone with a dumbass guy who asks me what month my truck was produced in, and said once again, NO we don't have Prostop rotors for your truck. But we do have Pepboys rotors at $50 a piece...
I hang up the phone, and contine.

Show the guy the free brake inspection and he asks "what's the problem?". I tell him, my steering wheel shakes when I brake (obviously my front rotors are SHOT). I also tell him it sounds like someone is dying when I brake (might needs some anti-seize gel on the back of the pads?). But none-the-less I want someone to look at it, and for free, why not.
Well this guy tells me I need a whole new front setup (which I was planning on buying with the sales for the rotors and pads).
I ask if he can take a look, and he gives me this crappy look and says "Why? I just told you what was wrong"... So I ask to see his manager, and he says "FINE, just bring the truck to the back".. I do that, and he gets someone to check my brakes while he leaves for lunch.

While my truck is being looked at I walk over to the Parts department.
I ask them about the Ceramic brake pads and they tell me, they are not $24.99 for your truck, they are $53.xx! He shows me some crappy fine print on the paper, that says "as low as"... I asked him what cars would be eligeable for the $24.99, and he couldn't give me an answer...

So forget the Rotors, and Pads... (was planning on spending probably $80+ for both). Then, I get my oil and filter, pay for that, and move on to the service department again. This time, they can't figure out what is wrong.
They heard the squeal of my brakes I am sure, but they assemble the truck, and drive it back out.
The guy hands me the keys and says "Have a nice day"... In a rude tone. I asked him, WHATS WRONG WITH MY BRAKES!!!? He says, "there is nothing wrong, you probably just need to lube it up or something".
I drive off, and will never ever again visit that store.

Folks if you are planning on buying from there, might I suggest you take your money somewhere better like Kragen or Napa...
Kragen has the sale for my Rotors online, and I will purchase from them.

Rant off. Thanks for reading. Feel free to share stories or comment.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:29 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Caveat emptor

Sounds like the same thing that's happened to just about everyone at either NAPA, Checker/Kragen/Shucks, Autozone, Advance, Carquest, PepBoys, ...
Old 05-09-2008, 09:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What a bunch of dorks...(the pep boys gang)
Old 05-09-2008, 09:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pep Boys near me closed down. I won't miss them.

Rob
Old 05-09-2008, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just got my tires from there(dakota definity m/t) and i would agree that the service is not great but i just couldnt resist for the price( 140 a piece and buy 3 get 1 free(they were supposed to be 123 a piece but they had to secial order them and got load range e...cuz ill be towing a semi trailer...)) i stood outside the garage door and there was only somebody working on my car for about half the time but they still charged me for 2 hours
Old 05-09-2008, 10:14 AM

I would take care of your brakes for ya if you lived up north. lol I think i'm a lil better than pepboys.lol
Old 05-09-2008, 10:22 AM
Contributing Member

I've never had any issues with the Pep Boys I go to but I use now Checkers since one is only a 1/4 mile a way.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:59 AM

Ya some of these parts stores are junk. The private owned Buchanan Napa (non-private one is awesome) in Thunder Bay are full of crooks and idiots. If you asked for blinker fluid they would go straight to the computer, then tell you its double the price since you own a toyota..
Old 05-09-2008, 11:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I believe it is a pretty well known "fact" that PepBoys supplier of electric parts is notoriously screwed up. Went through about 4 alternators of their's that never would function correctly in my 88 Mazda 323GTX. (turbo and All wheel drive -what fun but I digress)

Eventually soured my relationship with the repair shop I was using as I favored Pep Boys' policy of lifetime warranty-which seemed advantageous to me for electrical parts. In short the shop was right and I was wrong. Went with a NAPA alternator on a Mazda and never ever a problem again.

"Do not use Pep Boys for electrical components"

I apologize publicly to Buchtel Motors of Denver-they still drive my 88 Toyota Van with 4wd for their shuttle taxi and take even better care of it than I ever could. They are a AAA recommended facility and they take good care of their customers. Really a shop poster child for good customer service.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:48 PM

At least they gave you your keys back, the PB around here I have herd has refused to release your own vehicle back to you if it is deemed unsafe after you have your free inspection done; Never go to any shop for any free service.

Also the PB here has turned into a crappy flee market.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:34 PM

I shop at all of the stores pepboys= I buy gear oil
they carry royal purple.
auto zone =NOTHING THE MANAGER IS A SMART A$$ PRICK.

advanced= auto some parts RTV,degreaser, oil filters when on sale

napa parts only no fliuds they charge too much for sealants and oil.

walmart OIL they have the best sales on mobile and castrol.

I also some times buy oil at sams club.

each store has items for less or has something I am looking for that the others don't

when it comes to brakes I order online when possible none of the stores had brake pads for my 4runner when I needed them except pep boys.
all they had where EBC's payed 59$ for them and they have been the best brake pads I have ever had on a truck.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:56 AM

Just more reason to learn how to work on it yourself!
Old 05-11-2008, 07:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thankfully I do all my own work and never have to deal with situations like this.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:35 AM

take it from a mechanic who worked at a precision tune, all the quick lube/free inspections are out to get your money, and will rip you off at all expenses to get it. I now work at a Toyota dealer. Yes we are expensive as but the is done right and you ARE taken care of. well, at least at my dealer...
Old 05-11-2008, 07:50 AM

Yeah, I remember there was a REALLY good write-up on how to change the pads shoes, drums and discs... I lost my link because my favorites were deleted on accident. Needless to say I will find it again sometime and want to do my own brakes.

My biggest concern is jackstands. I need to get some really bad.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:55 AM
CJM

You honestly expected a pepboys service center to have the service of a real mechanic..PLEASE....
Old 05-11-2008, 09:16 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Every ad from every company does the exact same thing. They ALL say "From $xx.xx" Its how they get you, its called marketing.

Despite the fact that Pep boys and Schucks and all those other places are the WORST place to get parts, you should have read the ad carefully and known that there is no way pads for your truck are $24. Remember, if the deal is too good to be true, it usually is.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I buy my brake pads from the dealer and if I'm doing a side job I tell the owner to buy factory pads/shoes. I've had too many times where aftermarket pads make noise. I work at a Lexus dealer so I get the parts cheaper
Old 03-09-2010, 06:18 AM

I thought Pep Boys was bad, just because I lived in Puerto Rico and just goes bad here. Guess I was wrong.....