Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What locker?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What locker?

This will be a 50/50 rig I hope. I want to enjoy it and drive it more. I think as a crawler it sits, gas gets old, moisture cause water, rusts tank yadda yadda yadda. I want to save my tires, lose the chirp, still have 4 tires spinning while rock crawling. I'd like to not spend over say $500. I don't want to have to pull my welded 3rd and be out a tremendous amount of work while I'm in there.

Setup is a rear Ford 9in 5.29 gear welded.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:44 AM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Not going to get a lot of answers about a Ford axle on a Toyota site.. Possibly try pirate...

Your going to have tou pull the 3rd... It also depends on how they welded it. If they just welded the spiders together or welded the spiders to the carrier...
Old 07-11-2012, 08:47 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
Same technology. I want a ford 9" in my 67 mustang. So i'll answer your question

Aussie, Lockrite, Spartan, etc etc all make lunchbox lockers for the 9". They're all DDable as long as you have a manual tranny.

ARB is your only selectable option.

I had an aussie in my 4Runner for awhile. its tolerable on the street... i prefer selectable but 300 vs 1000+ is a huge difference.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:28 AM

Yes so wasn't getting on a Ford site to ask, both Ford 9 and Toyota have third members. It was more about how the locker does on the street, all are the same no matter what make they go under.

So, axles pulled and spline count is same as a guy I saw selling a Aussie locker. He said he's broke and twisted 2-3 axles and it's fine but he's going 35 spline. He said $175 for the Aussie, carrier, and bearings so I'm getting it. I also have a Ford 9 that's narrowed to 40in and it's 31 spline. I'll always have a spooled rear if I so choose. I can't wait to be able to turn and not eat my 38's up in a week.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:03 PM

I have ran a lockrite in my DD crawler for so long with such great results, that I just installed one in my Cummins Chevy dually tow rig Dana 70HD rear. You cant beat the price. Just throw a lunch box back there, and forget about it. a 9" lockright will only be that much stronger than a Toy.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:35 AM

Well, got the Aussie set up and rear together. They stay locked until in a turn so Ill find out if I like it.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by MaK92-4RnR
Aussie, Lockrite, Spartan, etc etc all make lunchbox lockers for the 9". They're all DDable as long as you have a manual tranny.
I keep hearing this. I DD an auto with a Spartan in the back and haven't had any troubles, what makes the manual and lunchbox better?
Old 07-30-2012, 09:49 AM

With a manual you can clutch in around turns and not put so much wear on your tires. Its a bit easier to drive in snowy conditions with a manual as well

auto its engaged at ALL times in a turn. so it "jerks and bucks" because you cant go into neutral without putting wear on the tranny. plus its a pain in the ass to drive in parking lots. with an auto, you'll eat through tires a lot faster.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:10 AM

Yes these lockers stay locked like a spool but disengage on turns. I hope its worth trouble to have changed mine from a spool to a Aussie lol. Yes Im a 5spd.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:11 AM

No offense, but are you speaking from experience? Or are you repeating what you've heard? None of what you're describing matches my experience at all.

Its a bit easier to drive in snowy conditions with a manual as well Driving in snow with a locker is nothing like any of the horror stories folks like to tell. If I intentionally blip the throttle I can make the back end slide out easier, but a light foot and attention to where the wheels are pointed and the truck just goes. Just like with an open rear end. I don't know how having a manual could make that any easier.

auto its engaged at ALL times in a turn. so it "jerks and bucks" Not true. It's a torque-sensitive locker, so again, a light foot and it doesn't engage. Yes, if you mash the throttle it'll scuff the rear, but there's nothing about a manual that prevents that from happening.

plus its a pain in the ass to drive in parking lots No, it isn't. See above.

you'll eat through tires a lot faster No, you don't.

I'm forced to conclude that either you've never driven an automatic with a lunchbox in the back, or you have a serious case of leadfoot.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:11 AM

uh... no.

They're engaged when you lose traction. more than likely, its not engaged going straight until your tires slip. they engage on turns which is the clicking you hear.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by MaK92-4RnR
they engage on turns which is the clicking you hear.
Say what? You're rapidly losing credibility here. If the clicking was the sound of the locker engaging, it'd be doing it when you're on the throttle going in a straight line. The clicking happens at low torque when one wheel is turning faster than the other because the locker plates are slipping past eachother and not engaging. Geez, dude.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:51 PM

Go with an auto locker in your DD automatic if you want, have fun buying tires every 8 months though.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:42 AM

I DD my 94 5spd pickup that runs on 33's. I'm re gearing to 4.88 and if I have enough cash I'd like to put a locker in the rear, but leave the front open. Don't know if I should get a lunchbox, or auto locker.. And for that matter which brand to use. It's looking like Detroit, Aussie, or lock-rite. I'm on a tight budget and really dont know what to do.. Yes, I have used the search button over and over. I just want a good locker that is fairly priced, sturdy, and best for daily driving. I'm currently slipping ALOT on gravel driveway hills and this winter I will be going through mud very often whether I like it or not. help please.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:41 AM

Received 217 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by 85Xtra-Cab
I DD my 94 5spd pickup that runs on 33's. I'm re gearing to 4.88 and if I have enough cash I'd like to put a locker in the rear, but leave the front open. Don't know if I should get a lunchbox, or auto locker.. And for that matter which brand to use. It's looking like Detroit, Aussie, or lock-rite. I'm on a tight budget and really dont know what to do.. Yes, I have used the search button over and over. I just want a good locker that is fairly priced, sturdy, and best for daily driving. I'm currently slipping ALOT on gravel driveway hills and this winter I will be going through mud very often whether I like it or not. help please.
Save some extra cash and get an ARB, I put a Yukon grizzly auto in mine and I like it but I wish I had a selectable locker. And yes you will be spending quite a bit more but if I would have known better I would have waited saved some more and done an ARB. So now I have too much invested to change it unless I were rich. But if you are strapped on loot an auto will get the traction you need and will work just fine.

Are you doing the work or paying to have it done?? And if you have been driving with stock gears on 33's your going to love the gear change

Last edited by Discombobulated; 08-14-2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:05 AM

Ugh.. I already know how much I will love the new gears. The curvy roads with big hills that I drive everyday kill me.

I still can't decide between Aussie or Detroit. And lunchbox or auto locker. I don't need something crazy strong.. I'm not rock crawling and I still have ifs. Just hate getting stuck on the smallest things and need traction
Old 08-14-2012, 09:07 AM

Ohh and I'm paying someone to install everything. I don't have the time or skill. Haha
Old 08-14-2012, 09:17 AM

You can't go wrong with either one, I have heard great things about both brands but the Aussie seems to be a little cheaper. Search a bit more on Aussies they have a thread that is pretty good as far as a review goes.

I found this one but there are more

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/aussie-locker-51858/
Old 08-14-2012, 09:24 AM

I had a conversation with Chase at East Coast Gear Supply. He and I were discussing if I should run an Aussie Locker or a Spartan. He said they were the same. I was somewhat skeptical. Well I can tell you that you can actually combine an Aussie Locker and a Spartan using half the parts from each kit. I had 3 lockers in my possesion when East Coast assembled my third members.I had a LocRite, Aussie, and a Spartan locker. All 3 lockers looked the same and then I was shown that they worked the same. Chase made a believer of me. Before I get flamed for that call ECGS and tell them that they are wrong. Now granted you would never need to do it, but my point is this; most of all of these "lunchbox" lockers are the same thing just a different name. I am currently running a Spartan locker in the rear of my rig because I liked the price and the hardened pin that it uses is way strong. I have 38" Tsl Sx's on my 4runner just to let you know. The Detroit locker has been around a long time and I know nobody that has anything bad to say about them. I had one in the rear end of my first truck back when I was in highschool and I never killed. Also I have heard that they have clutches or something like that, that can wear down in them. The thing is though, anything can wear out, and anything can be broken. I recommend that since you are on a budget you go with a Spartan locker. Keep your differential fluid serviced and take your time breaking it in. Also see about modifying your differential breather so you do not get water in it. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Stu Pidasso; 08-14-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:30 AM

Here is the Aussie review

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f105...review-143163/

Quick Reply: What locker?