Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do we think of these CO2 systems?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 01:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What do we think of these CO2 systems?

I am contemplating a CO2 system as a source of OBA. Powertanks are very nice of course, but these are cheaper and I'm not hung up on a brand name. Let me know what you think about the systems sold at:

http://www.okoffroad.com/

and

http://www.tellico4x4.com/index.php/cPath/909_912

Thanks!
Lamm
Old 09-10-2006, 02:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do not know much about those but I am also looking into this and have decided to make my own. The tanks for kegerators are the same from what I can tell and they are much cheaper. I can get a 10 lb bottle for $55. Then a regulator from the Source for $40. Add a hose and you are there.

I am interested in what some folks with more experience have to say about this also.

Bump
Old 09-10-2006, 03:43 PM
Contributing Member

I bought a 20# from airgas $138 filled. $20 adjustable regulater (searched beer and wine making stores till found one in the back that the guy gave me for $20 it is adjustable to too high of a psi for a kegerator so it worked perfect for me). I already had airhose and tire chucks. I love it so far, it is a little big, I really wanted a 15# but they didn't have one. I have 33x12.5 and have refilled them 5 or 6 times usually from 15 to 35psi, but 3 times I was at 8 and went to 35psi. I have also filled at least 4-5 other vehicles also. When we finished holcomb creek, Phalanx started his "vair system or whichever brand he uses" and I filled mine and Bruce's and then Josh used it to get the remainder of his done. I have been pretty lax about offering it to others because I am anxious to see how much it will do. If it takes too long I will forget how many times it has been used. I still want to get an underhood unit eventually so I have dual systems for longer trips. If you have little kids that you take wheeling, they get antsy when you stop at the end and it takes forever to air up. This way I am done before Jack starts whining to get out of the runner. Also, there are fewer and fewer gas stations that are running the good compressors. Some of them won't even fill my 33's on one cycle. Can you tell that I like it!
Old 09-10-2006, 08:36 PM
Contributing Member

Yes I would say you like it a lot. The paint job you did on your tank is very cool! I think I will get a 10 lb tank. It will fit really well and should last a really long time with my 285's.

I have a small 12v compressor and I will still take it along since it is so small and use it as a back up also.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:39 AM

I am sorry you think the PowerTank is only a name brand.

There is a significant difference between what you listed and a PT, that is what you are paying for.

The PT has an adjustable regulator, the base one up to 200 PSI, the upgraded one up to 300 or more IIRC>

The PT flows more and is designed to not freeze up. I have used cobbled together set ups and had to stop in the middle because it would not flow any more. My PT gets frosty, but I have never had it freeze.

If you want the best, the innovator and something you will never had to mess with, get the PT. If you want to save money, get anything else.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:56 AM

yes, i would also agree with flygtenstein, i also have a PT and it has performed flawlessly since i got it, i agree about the regulator, that seems to be key in co2 systems as most non specific regulators will freeze up quite quickly, as the PT style is designed for flow at the temperatres, you are dealing with co2
just my .02 worth
Old 09-11-2006, 06:25 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I also agree you get what you pay for with the Powertank brand.
I am on my 2nd one, and this one is better than the first.

It also has an auto bleedoff valve built into it.
When you turn down the pressure (not the flow) it bleeds off so you can read your gauge which is nifty.
My old PT did not have the new regulator that this one has.

Also owner Steve Sasaki at Advanced Air Systems (they own Powertank) is a Toyota offroader and owner.
Support the Toyota guys.

Old 09-11-2006, 08:33 AM

you cold also use nitrogen. i know guys are gonna say it dosent last as long. they are rite but it is dry and will save your air toolswont freeze your regs. and your wheels. i run nitrogen i have had no prob and its cheap.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:15 AM

he's asking a qustion i'm tryin to help out. calm down.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:55 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

http://powertank.com/faqs
Q: “Why CO2 instead of Nitrogen?”
A: "Volume". CO2 will give you three times the energy of Nitrogen in a given tank size. Having one tank of CO2 is like carrying three tanks of nitrogen. This makes it more economical and means that you’ll have the power when you need it all in one small tank.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:35 PM
Contributing Member

I agree that you get what you pay for, but if you are on a budget you can easily get your own co2 system started. The powertank does have some cool features, mainly the regulater and the handle. Other than that a co2 tank is a co2 tank. I am lucky and the reg that I have has given me no problems, but if it does I will be upgrading to a powertank reg. But as it is I have $160 into a 20# system and I have filled up three vehicles in back to back with no reg. problems. I think the main thing is to not go cheap on the regulator.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:51 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Exactly.
Get a good regulator from PT, then you can build your own system if you want.

The new regulator as mentioned earlier rocks.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:56 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

you get what you pay for
I also agree with that, for the most part, but in this case, I do disagree, heres my set-up and cost
20# CO2 tank: FREE
Regulator: $50 shipped.
Hose: already had that.
Air Chuck: like this for $10
Mount: $50
so I got about $110 in it. has never let me (or everyone else on the runs) down.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Angus1
you cold also use nitrogen. i know guys are gonna say it dosent last as long. they are rite but it is dry and will save your air toolswont freeze your regs. and your wheels. i run nitrogen i have had no prob and its cheap.
CO2 is dry.

Fred
Old 09-11-2006, 07:45 PM

A fixed regulator from Williams Ballons runs about $35.00 and he'll make it for whatever output pressure that you want.
Mine's 120 psi.
No need at all for an ajustable regulator (output)...
Why ?
No need for any gauges especially the one showing tank pressure.
As long as there is a single drop of CO2 left in the tank, the pressure will be the same (air temperature being the same).
I can easily run air tools with the 120 psi regulator, but I don't tank 'em with me anyway.
I can air up my 35's (35x12.50 R15) MT/R's from 5~6 psi to 28 psi (road pressure) in about 40~45 seconds per tire.

Fred
Old 09-12-2006, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by FredTJ
CO2 is dry.

Fred
co2 is not dry. just ike 02 it has some mosture in it. not as much as say your home compresser on a real humid day, but has some mosture.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:18 AM

Carbon and two oxygens.

It is the phase change that creates moisture. Approximately equal to the heating and cooling cycle of your tires when you drive them from a stop to road speed and back to stop.

If you want to run tools, you need an adjustable output. Putting 200 screaming PSI through a tool that needs 100 sounds like a bad plan.

Buy a PT and forget about it. Cobble one together and justify the decreased performance with that cost savings.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:24 AM

buy whatever regulator you want to use but for a tank, i would go with a local welding supply.

nothing beats being able to walk into my local praxair, set down my tank and $7 and walk out with another tank already filled. no worries about hydro tests, they do that as well as inspection and i dont have to worry about getting "my tank" back or waiting to have it filled.

even if your local place will fill it while you wait, lots of places around dont, its nice to be able to walk in any place and just swap it out.

powertank does sell their adjustable regulator and the handle seperately. if you want the really cheap: $35 regulator
Old 09-12-2006, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Angus1
co2 is not dry. just ike 02 it has some mosture in it. not as much as say your home compresser on a real humid day, but has some mosture.
CO2 IS dry. The moisture that you'll sometimes see on the outside of anything metal (like the regulator or power tools) is condensation from moisture in the AIR as the metal is really cold.

If you want to run tools, you need an adjustable output. Putting 200 screaming PSI through a tool that needs 100 sounds like a bad plan.
Yup, like I said in my post above, use a fixed regulator in the 100 ~ 120 psi range.
It'll fill tires quickly and run air tools just fine.
The nice thing about the Williams regulator (beside the $35.00 price tag and the fact that you can get it preset for just about any pressure that you want) is that you don't need a wrench to remove it or install it on the CO2 tank valve. It goes on by hand.

As Napoleon047 said, buy want you want but our welding shops (like his) won't fill just a single tank. It cost them more than the $10.00 or so that they charge. You'ld have to drop the tank off and come back after they've done their CO2 fills, which could be days.
I bought two aluminum (weight) tanks and I simply swap them out at the welding shop. Bring my empty one in and pick up my filled one.
You could but just one tank from them and get it swapped out, but they swap with whatever they have available filled at the moment (which could be a steel tank).

There have been people on runs that I've been on that have had PT's and I've seen no performance gain in their tanks.

Myself, I'll take the $100.00 ~ $150.00 savings and spend it on another mod

Fred
Old 09-12-2006, 05:50 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

C02 is a liquid
http://powertank.com/faqs

When it is released from a tank, it give off vapor in the form of air and other inert gases which are also safe for the tires.

Quick Reply: What do we think of these CO2 systems?