Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Welding the front diff?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welding the front diff?

What are the pros/cons of wleding the front end? Anyone on here done it?
Old 01-22-2005, 11:22 AM
Contributing Member

Well you wont be able to steer if you have your hubs locked, if you have IFS you will break CV's all the time. Probally not to good of an idea, unless it a dedicated trail rig.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:06 PM

it will also chew up tires. the pro's= more traction going straight
Old 01-22-2005, 02:06 PM

From first hand experience unless it's a trail only rig buy a Lockrite or similar type locker or a selectable.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:17 PM

ok thx guys. A guy up the street had done it...and i was wondering how it works. Thx for the help
Old 01-23-2005, 05:33 PM
Banned

dont do it please just dont do it, go buy a lockright if you want do to it save yourself a lot of headache sides its only 200
Old 02-02-2005, 06:54 PM

An old jeeper with both ends welded up once told me "Lock it up, if you need to turn you can always unlock one hub" !! His rig went alot farther than mine Its really a personal choice thing, on the trail, AWESOME, just don't run in 4wd on the street with both hubs locked!
Old 02-04-2005, 06:16 AM

DO you know how many people get tired of waiting for you to lock and unlock one hub. Besides it gets old and unlocking one hub puts all the stress on the other. Buy a LR and leave the welding for the rear
Old 02-16-2005, 04:56 PM
Banned

how do you figure a lockright in the front is any different than having it welded...well yah i know the difference but, when you're wheeling your mostly giving it gas so, the lockright wont unlock either it will act as a spool untill the torque is released(i've never seen anyone climb a hill and turn without applying torque, if you have let me know), you'd have to use the one hub method or get an arb if you are really that worried. also, if you're stuck and don't have a front locker, you'd have to get out of the truck anyways to firgure out how to get unstuck so whats so bad about just gettin out and locking one hub in? And last but not least, If you break an axle because you only had one hub locked, you should've had both locked, its your truck you should know what it's limits are(running around on a snowy street with one hub locked isn't gonna kill an axle), if you have both hubs locked and break, get stronger axles
p.s. We just ran the whole orv park (grayrock ORV birmingham, AL) locked in the font with both hubs locked and no problems, one guy didn't even have power steering. everything else aside, IT'S WORTH IT
Old 09-10-2009, 12:59 PM

I'm gonna do it.

Im gonna weld my front diff, Im not worried about the consequences. does anyone know if I can do it without actually pulling the diff out once I have it open. It's IFS. 97 tacoma.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:18 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you have a Tacoma, you have to pull the diff out to open it ... and it's a PITA.

Having an ARB, I can tell you that when it's locked, you ain't turning if you have much traction at all. It puts TREMENDOUS stress on the steering too.

The money you save by welding now will easily be eaten up by the wear and tear on the vehicle.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:56 PM

Thanks tc

I appreciate the info about the job, might wait til i have more time to do it then. but how is having an ARB any different stress wise than a "linking locker"? Locked is locked isn't it. I have a Detroit truetrac rear diff and the only time I truely need four wheel drive is when I have a tire off the ground and my open front diff makes it difficult if not impossible to keep going. If it does make it rediculously hard to turn or I feel like it is really stressful on the steering components of the truck I could only have both hubs locked when I get to those situations. Right? If my truck was a dedicated trail rig I would spring for an arb or other locker. I feel like with only 32's and as little as I actually use four wheel drive it wouldn't be that big of a deal. whatcha think?
Old 09-10-2009, 03:19 PM
tc
Contributing Member

The difference is you can unlock it from the cab and only lock it when you really need it.

I think if you only 'wheel at that level, you don't need a front locker. I bet you would be surprised by how little your rear LSD is actually helping you. Knowing that, my recommendation would be to sell the Trutrac, put in a real locker and see what you need in the front then.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:30 PM

I have a Aussie in the front of my 98 and it can be a bi@#h to turn when in 4 wheel drive..Mine has a Chevy power steering pump with a cooler and that makes it easier to handle in the woods. My rear end WAS welded and i took that mess out...no fun on the streets..Save up and get a Aussie or a LR..JMO. Welded gears are great for trail only rigs..

And like tc said...a rear locker will make a world of difference

Last edited by bain; 09-10-2009 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:53 PM

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, there is no way I want my rear locked up with as much driving as i do on pavement. That truetrac made a very noticable difference, the only time it will let one spin is if there is a tire completley off the ground. It's in those fairly rare, yet frustrating situations that I want a locker in the front. That way there will be no change in drivablilty on the highway.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:37 PM

a lock right no-slip in the rear would hardly be noticeable on the road..but it would be like night and day in the woods. The thing about welding it is that if you do it and decide you hate it..you will have to replace your spiders and carrier..or buy a used diff...which may cost as much as a locker. and you can always take out a locker and sell it if you didnt like it..
Old 09-10-2009, 08:08 PM
tc
Contributing Member

So get a selectable then.

Molly has a Trutrac in the front of her rig. Believe me when I say, as much as you think the LSD made over open, a true locker is an even bigger difference.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:45 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
x2 on what TC is saying... ARB for the front, period.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tc
So get a selectable then.

Molly has a Trutrac in the front of her rig. Believe me when I say, as much as you think the LSD made over open, a true locker is an even bigger difference.
I've got a front lockrite and it works great. Open diff in the rear :o And yes, I pick up tires off the ground all the time.

I also recommend against welding the front.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:14 AM

Well thanks for all the responses guys, I understand all the stuff your talking about, and trust me I'd love to have an ARB in my truck or some other type of selectable locker. I just cant justify spending that kind of money any time soon. I'll consider the aussie or maybe a lockrite down the road. I may wait a lil while anyway, after looking at the job it does look like a P.I.T.A as tc said. Are aussies as turn friendly as they claim? none of my friends have used them, I think before too long I could have enough saved up for one of those.

Quick Reply: Welding the front diff?