Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

warn hitch receiver

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bamachem
those are nice to have and all, but if you're using a recovery strap w/ loops at each end, then why not just shove the loop up into the receiver and just put the pin thru the loop??? that's what i've always done and it's worked fine for me...
That is a perfectly acceptable way to connect a strap to a receiver. I did this for a while and the only downside I could find is that the edges of the receiver were sharp enough to start fraying my strap, particularly on off centered pulls. I smoothed the edges of my receiver, but not everyone's receiver is worked over like mine was and so I can stick one of these in and not add any wear and tear than is neccessary to my straps. No matter how you connect the strap, just a pin, shackle adapter or pintle adapter, none of it's any stronger than the pin itself anyway.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by DaveInDenver
That is a perfectly acceptable way to connect a strap to a receiver. I did this for a while and the only downside I could find is that the edges of the receiver were sharp enough to start fraying my strap, particularly on off centered pulls. I smoothed the edges of my receiver, but not everyone's receiver is worked over like mine was and so I can stick one of these in and not add any wear and tear than is neccessary to my straps. No matter how you connect the strap, just a pin, shackle adapter or pintle adapter, none of it's any stronger than the pin itself anyway.
I used to shove the strap into the receiver and then lock it with the pin. Did that many times. Ultimately though I think that a receiver shackle is stronger. The hitch pin is in double shear when used with the receiver shackle. With the hitch pin alone the pin is in single shear, failing on one side and then bending at the other end allowing the loop to escape. Practically I would imagine this is highly unlikely.

For the larger 3" wide straps or loops covered in leather it can be really difficult to cram those into the receiver. Having a d-ring also offers more flexibility if you need to linkup a snatch block and for use with chain hooks as previously mentioned.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:34 PM
lee
Contributing Member

Old 07-15-2005, 03:47 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what the heck is that black blob??

you painted the threads???
Old 07-15-2005, 05:37 AM
lee
Contributing Member

yea, i cleared them after though...

tested it this morning when my hitch receiver got here and its great!
Old 07-15-2005, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by bamachem
what the heck is that black blob??

you painted the threads???
Think of it as ghetto thread locker, hahaha.
Looks nice Lee, now you need the front shackle hangers! Damn it, I need those too...*sigh*
Old 07-15-2005, 06:01 AM
Contributing Member

How did you go about painting them?

Awhile back when I got my ARB for my 2nd gen I spent 3 days cleaning, grinding, priming and spray paiting some D-Shackles to go on the front of the bull bar...the second that I picked up the shackles and tried to screw in the pins the paint literally SLID off the pins...I got so pi$$ed. Then Corey said that if you bake them in the oven for about 30 minutes between coats that it will work better...the next time that I have to do this I will be doing it that way. Or I may just get some do-it-yourself bedliner coating and mask off the threads and do it that way.

Fink
Old 07-15-2005, 06:12 AM
lee
Contributing Member

i sanded a lot of the orange paint off... then just tried to scuff it up a bit. then i took regular glossy black paint (i wanted flat black, but glossy was all i had on hand) and sprayed the crap out of one side... let it sit for 2 hrs, turned it, and sprayed the crap out of the other side

i am gonna put clearcoat on it too... just didnt have the chance to go get it.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:36 AM
Banned

Here's how I figured about getting a rear shackle. Im gonna go to Wally Worls and get a 2" Drop hitch. Then go to Nick's work, and get a D Shackle at the discount he gives me. Stick the Shackle ont he Drop Hitch, stick the Drop Hitch in the receiver. DONE. Only difference is the Shackle would be verticle instead of horizontal. I still need a recovery strap (all I have now is a tow strap), and Shackle Hangers up front. Im working on the CB Right now.
Old 07-16-2005, 03:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gangus2006
Here's how I figured about getting a rear shackle. Im gonna go to Wally Worls and get a 2" Drop hitch. Then go to Nick's work, and get a D Shackle at the discount he gives me. Stick the Shackle ont he Drop Hitch, stick the Drop Hitch in the receiver. DONE. Only difference is the Shackle would be verticle instead of horizontal. I still need a recovery strap (all I have now is a tow strap), and Shackle Hangers up front. Im working on the CB Right now.
ลลลล the sahckle idea wont work. The drop hitches have holes that are about 3x larger than the pins int eh biggest shackles I could find. Oh well, Ill have to order a nifty WARN one Monday...
Old 07-16-2005, 10:50 PM
lee
Contributing Member

Old 07-16-2005, 11:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Lee,

Dont forget to zip tie your shackle down through the pin hole and through the shackle itself. On my last run to Death Valley, the shackle shook loose on the Buldog-Yota/Death Valley 500 run.

Bob
Old 07-18-2005, 05:27 AM
lee
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
Lee,

Dont forget to zip tie your shackle down through the pin hole and through the shackle itself. On my last run to Death Valley, the shackle shook loose on the Buldog-Yota/Death Valley 500 run.

Bob
wow no joke

i cant even imagine that happening.

i need to ziptie my rear breather extension hose anyhow, so ill do that at the same time.

thanks man.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Gangus2006
ลลลล the sahckle idea wont work. The drop hitches have holes that are about 3x larger than the pins int eh biggest shackles I could find. Oh well, Ill have to order a nifty WARN one Monday...
I run a 7/8" shackle, pin w/ galvanizing is about 1" OD and fits the drop hitch holes just fine. In fact I used to run a 0"/2" drop hitch as my recovery shackle attachment point for many years. I now have a receiver I built that is lighter and more compact.

Last edited by 4Crawler; 07-20-2005 at 08:48 PM.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:11 PM
Contributing Member

If you don't want to worry about the issue of paint, just do as I do and leave it in the truck

The paint lasts a LONG time that way.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:48 PM
lee
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
Lee,

Bob
im actually confused on what you mean here.

how the heck did the shackle shake loose? the receiver or the shackle pin?
Old 07-21-2005, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by lee
im actually confused on what you mean here.

how the heck did the shackle shake loose? the receiver or the shackle pin?
I think he means the pin shook and slowly unscrewed itself, if you zip tie it to the shackle it can't spin.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:46 PM

I thought you took your running boards off? :0 hehe
Old 08-14-2005, 09:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Intrepid
I think he means the pin shook and slowly unscrewed itself, if you zip tie it to the shackle it can't spin.
ลลลล mine did that on the Ashburnham run. When I took it off so Heath could use it, it was halfway off.