Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spare Tire On A Carrier Or Under Veh

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spare Tire On A Carrier Or Under Veh

Just curious, I've seen a website (http://www.kenmtn.com/html/multi-carrier.asp) that sells a bumper with a tire carrier and room for other stuff.
What are the advantages of carrying the spare tire on the rear rather than under the vehicle? It is cool looking, but it will decrease my garage space. Wouldn't it cause the back to sag more?
Old 08-14-2005, 12:05 PM
Banned

well, for offroading purposes, it increases your departure angle, bc its not hanging underneath the vehicle.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also, if you have large tires, you can carry a full sized spare
Old 08-16-2005, 12:10 PM

I think once you are larger than a 32" tire it becomes difficult to fit under there. One big plus is that you can get to it easily, using that stupid winch thing is a PITA, especially when the truck is all muddy.
BTW, I have heard multiple bad reports about Kenessaw Mountain quality and customer service, so I would be careful there.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:37 PM
Contributing Member

i dont know if you planned on it, but dont do business with them.

kyle is a shady business man. i got my first bumper from them way back when, and he consistantly lied....

my old bumper is actually on that page..hah.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
doink,

you should write a report in the vendor feedback forum if you havent already

bob
Old 08-16-2005, 12:47 PM
Contributing Member

agreed bob. when it happened way back when, i didnt know about that forum. i might just do it. i should ask him to take down my picture from his webpage since i no longer run that crappy paper weight that i used as a bumper for under a year.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by doink
agreed bob. when it happened way back when, i didnt know about that forum. i might just do it. i should ask him to take down my picture from his webpage since i no longer run that crappy paper weight that i used as a bumper for under a year.
I am actually considering their bumper. Would you care to tell us what happened?

Thanks
Old 08-17-2005, 02:09 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by francr
I am actually considering their bumper. Would you care to tell us what happened?

Thanks
Actually, a YT search as well as other off-road boards will yield a lot of information. Try searching YT first...

Here's some:

Yotatech
TTORA
Jeeps Unlimited

I think alot of information on TTORA was left behind on the old board.

There have been a few reports of people who went to the shop & supervised his work that didn't get screwed...
Old 08-17-2005, 03:15 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by valkyrie610

There have been a few reports of people who went to the shop & supervised his work that didn't get screwed...
i was at the shop and watched him put it on. all the shady business started before hand and was realized while i was there.
Old 08-17-2005, 04:04 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
With BIG things like bumpers, my advice is get something made custom locally...even if it costs more, you can keep an eye on it and have some recourse if things go south...

I've been there and done that and was lucky to get my money back on a deal gone bad...

Do a search on BADLAND BUMPERS and read the whole saga...

Old 08-17-2005, 05:12 PM
Contributing Member

Intrepid & doink, Thanks for the heads up.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:28 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
With BIG things like bumpers, my advice is get something made custom locally...even if it costs more, you can keep an eye on it and have some recourse if things go south...

I've been there and done that and was lucky to get my money back on a deal gone bad...

Do a search on BADLAND BUMPERS and read the whole saga...

you would be pleasantly surpised how skilled and willing local fabricators are. This stuff is being built pretty much everyday all over the country. Look up welder in the Yellow Pages, seriously. Research your local shops IT IS WORTH THE EXTRA $$$$.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:34 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by FilthyRich
you would be pleasantly surpised how skilled and willing local fabricators are. This stuff is being built pretty much everyday all over the country. Look up welder in the Yellow Pages, seriously. Research your local shops IT IS WORTH THE EXTRA $$$$.
I absolutely agree. A local craftsman will generally put more effort into a one-off project than he will financially gain from it, in the hopes of spreading word of mouth advertising locally. His name is on it and everyone in town knows it.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:45 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
You guys forget I work IN a fab shop....where do you think I get all my work/help at?

Go local and get waht you want! Just be ready to pay for it...

Old 08-23-2005, 08:35 AM

Seriously, Local is the way. I'm having front and rear bumpers fabbed up now. The rear has a swingout design that will be unique. It is fun to be able to put the input in and you get to check it out as it is built and see the quality that is involved.

One more vote for local, here.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:47 AM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i had my sliders done, well sorta local, and by a YT memeber. it was fun to be able to design it myself, and have a word on how they look. i know sliders isnt a bumper but still another vote for local fab.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:45 PM
Banned

put the spare in the back (trunk) area,a nd strap it down with a ratchet strap.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:45 AM
JGM

Tire Carrier vs Under-storage: Like anything else, there are pros and cons.
Yes - eventually the rear will sag faster. You are putting more weight further out and therefore putting more stress on the rear suspension. Yes - it does look cooler. No offense, Garrett, but depending on how the tire is mounted, it may actually decrease your depart angle (since it sticks out further). Do you use the truck for a DD? Expect to see a LOT less out your rear window. Yes - access is a lot easier, and allows you to possibly carry 2 spares. Just some thoughts from my experience.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:10 AM
Contributing Member

Local is good. However I did a ton of home work and bought via internet with steve at CBIfabrications (see my review post). and got a true , bolt on, level bumper, anyone who has seen it is impressed with it. very reasonable and kept contact with me the entire time, including photos and updates.

Chris has seen it (valkrie610) and seemed to like it ( I think he's jealous j/k )