Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prerunner Offroad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Prerunner Offroad?

I recently bought a Dcab Tacoma Prerunner, and disovered this forum. So far, I've been able to hook up my alarm and CD changer through everybody's help.

Now, being an offroad newbie, I was wondering if my truck's equipped enough for some light offroad use. It's got a rear locker, and living here in AZ, there's not much mud to get stuck in.

Also, is there anywhere around Phoenix to do such a thing legally? All the areas I've heard of have big signs which say NO MOTOR VEHICLES. I'd rather not risk being fined.

Thanks for the help guys, I'm learning more every day.
Old 09-06-2003, 08:22 AM

You can go into the light stuff. Avoid hill climbs as the front isn't pulling you up like with a 4WD. As long as you air down enough you shouldn't have too much problem in the sand.
Old 09-06-2003, 03:04 PM

Thanks for the reply, I'm not planning on getting it up to the doors in mud, so I should be OK.

Any suggestions on where to go PHoenix guys?
Old 09-06-2003, 03:39 PM

use to run

i use to run out on the carefree highway off of 17 but that was 12 years ago.
Old 09-06-2003, 03:46 PM

I used to live in AZ. But now i'm goin to school out here in the midwest. There's a lot of local places, like if you take scottsdale up to dynamite road and make a right, take dynamite all the way out and you'll find some dirt roads you can turn on, and some of those roads lead to pretty cool off-road excursions, while others just lead you to ppls' houses lol. Anyways, I think at the end of dynamite road, if you make a left it takes you to some sort of wash where ppl off-road at.

Also there's a bunch of members that you can contact in phoenix and meet up with. I'd go wheelin with you if I was back home!!
Old 09-17-2003, 02:32 PM

i think you can do more in your prerunner than most people think.

for me, i love to just drive on dirt roads. doesnt have to be hilly or watever, just gimme some dirt! so prerunner+dirt=lots of fast fun!

my 91 yota is a 4x4 but when i first got it and knew NOTHING about 4x4s (pre yotatech.com) i ran my truck in 2wd all the time. the previous owner rotated the tires and the rear wheels had those aluminum cap thingys and the mechanic didnt take those off when he did the rotatation, thus covering the hubs! i had NO idea. so my other friend figured i had ADD and didnt need to lock in hubs. so i did some light 4wheeling, thinking i was in 4wd, but never locking the hubs! lol and i did ok. just dont get into anything too ballsy. speed always helps, but i dont think u wanna thrash your truck! my friend w a 2wd ranger ran some pretty steep hills... and he made it. kinda fun that way. i dont have 4wd at the moment coz my front diff is blown so ive taken some hills with a lot of speed and spinning tires. kinda fun that way!
Old 09-18-2003, 01:09 PM

here's a good site for trails and trips in AZ:

AZ BackCountry

We have trail runs on a regular basis, and they vary in difficulty from mild to wild. I'll be leading a easy trip in Flagstaff, AZ on the 11th of Oct. if your interested. It's posted in the trail/trip section on this board as well as on AZ BackCountry.

Keep an eye out for a trip to Crown King, it's a fun route.
I have been over the Lake Pleasent to Crown King trail in 2X4, using only one of the by-pass options. There is only one obstical that doesn't have a by-pass, the world famous "Ledge at the Oro Belle Mine" It's doable in 2x4 w/ a little momentum and a careful driver.

There are literally 1000's of miles of Forest Service roads and trails suitable for your locked 2X4 Pre-Runner. The only thing you've got to do is follow Dirty Harry's Motto:

"A man's gotta know his limitations"

but, to find the limits, you need to have a buddy along to get ya unstuck

Later

Last edited by crawler#976; 09-18-2003 at 01:10 PM.
Old 09-18-2003, 01:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Behind my house are some great recreational trails. Let me know when you want to go and I will meet you.

I live at Happy Valley Rd and I-17.

Dont leave your truck for an extended period of time though...I just might steal your locker.