Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Off-Roading Essentials?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Off-Roading Essentials?

Could anyone provide me with a list of things that should be taken along on a trip into the back country. Or maybe a book with this kind of info.

I know you should take tow straps with shackles, a tire repair kit, air compressor, a change of clothes, a warm jacket, maybe a couple of blankets, tools, and some food.

Am I missing anything?
Old 08-17-2004, 10:57 AM
Contributing Member

Compass/maps/GPS
Hi-lift jack
Give someone you trust a map of where you are going and when you will be back
Matches/lighter
Shovel
Axe/Chainsaw
A gun (if legal)
Full size spare, especially with 33's

That's all I can think of right now.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Girlfriend / F-Buddy
Beer
Old 08-17-2004, 11:08 AM

Definitely a map
Make sure someone at home knows where you are going (at least generally)
A Flashlight with an extra set of batteries
A change of clothes suitable for the weather
Water - food is nice, but water is crucial
Old 08-17-2004, 11:13 AM

Axe/Chainsaw
While I carry a hatchet, I think a plain old bowsaw is much better (safer) than either an axe or especially a chainsaw.

That is, the risk of a wound from an axe, at least a serious wound, is much greater than that posed from a bowsaw.

I don't have experiences wheeling where I might need a chainsaw, but I'm sure they exist. Still, it seems like a lot of extra trouble and danger what with gasoline, etc.

Just thinking.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:19 AM
Contributing Member

True, and I was about to type hatchet on there because that is actually what I usually carry with me...however, I thought of some of the huge trees that I have seen fall across roads (one way out) and I realized a hatchet would take a week to cut the tree into two sections (moveable). I guess a bow saw might be cool to have...
Old 08-17-2004, 11:33 AM

Well, if the tree is a Sequoia, I doubt there's much anyone could do to move it.

In the case of a tree over 12" in diameter, a bowsaw wouldn't do much good either.

There are those 'survival saws' that you can use with two people or one. In the case of two, one could stand on either side of the trunk and mimic old school lumberjack technique.

The biggest thing I've come across was a Joshua tree in the middle of the road, and I just got out and pushed it out of the way.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:45 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MudMonkey
Could anyone provide me with a list of things that should be taken along on a trip into the back country. Or maybe a book with this kind of info.

I know you should take tow straps with shackles, a tire repair kit, air compressor, a change of clothes, a warm jacket, maybe a couple of blankets, tools, and some food.

Am I missing anything?
Take a look at this page and the pages linked from it. http://4wheeldrive.about.com/cs/chec.../aa121901a.htm A good, if general list...
Old 08-17-2004, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by 4Hummer
Girlfriend / F-Buddy
Beer
Old 08-18-2004, 06:58 AM
Contributing Member

This trip list is very good and is put together by a guy who spends a lot of time in the backcountry: http://www.expeditionswest.com/resou...ping_list.html
Old 08-18-2004, 09:57 AM

I always keep a fire extinguisher in the runner. I keep a box of spare parts as well (upper and lower radiator hoses, hose clamps, 2 gal of water, complete set of ignition components).
Old 08-18-2004, 11:34 AM

Jumper Cables too.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:53 PM

Good list here. Everything you'll need and then some.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:49 PM

I carry a spare coil/ingitor, alternator, belts, hoses, plug, plug wire, coil wire, 5q oil, 1 gal 90W, 1 gal coolant, 2 gal non-potable water, brake fluid, one man brake bleeder, 1Qt ATF for the PS, 2 LBS grease, 12V power pack/jumper unit, jumper 20' cables, cordless 12V 1M CP spot light w/ work light, 5 D-Cell Maglight, complete tool kit, 4 LB hammer, brake parts cleaner, hand cleaner, latex gloves, short shovel, bow saw, 48" high-lift, stock screw jack, 20 ton bottle jack, 8' x 10' tarp, trash bags, tire plug kit, Gator Products oil spill kit, roll of shop towels, 12 sticks of welding rod and a hand held #10 shield, 30' x 3" tow strap, 40' of assorted chain, bungee cords, 6 flares, 20 LB CO2 bottle w/ regulator, full sized 35" spare, signal mirror, CB radio, cell phone, fire extinguisher, a can of foaming window cleaner to help re-seat tire beads, two 20' wratchet straps, inner axle seal, two new spare Profield's, a long side inner axle, a short side inner axle, 10 cans of tuna, a Cabela's XL dry bag for extra clothing in cold or wet weather,,,,,,,all packed into the tool box or strapped/bolted on the flatbed and in the cab.

oh yeah, an ice chest w/ the daily food/beverage essentials + extra water.

hmmmm- prolly missed a few items, but that's a good short list. Guess that explain's why the rear suspention settled that extra 2"

I tend to go over prepared- we get out a LONG way from civilization on a regular basis, it's not uncommon to be 40 to 60 miles from the closest major highway.

So far, I've used a fair number of items on the list- but all for other wheelers. The one item I really need to find is some of the epoxy that works for sealing gas tanks- it reacts to hydrocarbons.

later
Old 08-18-2004, 06:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Spare axle
tools
more tools
tow strap
winch
winch accessories-tree strap, d-rings, snatch block
full size spare tire
jumper cables
spare oil
spare gear oil
rags
spare set of clothes
flashlight/Q-beam
hi-lift jack
shovel
hammer
chain
tire plugs
air compressor
fire extinguisher
food
water
beer
Old 08-18-2004, 07:59 PM

Your head. Whatever you do, don't leave that at home. Nope, don't. Crawler, myself & plenty of others "tend to go overprepared" because not driving out means having to survive unexpectedly for a couple of days for want of the one damn thing we need and didn't bring.

Use your brain before you get stuck, way before, 'evenings at home asking questions like this' more, learn everything and then some til people think you've gone at least mildly deranged about it. Then with some deranged look on your face, pack your vehicle with everything that will come to mind that you might need to reassemble that vehicle and survive. There is no requirement that you wave on leaving the driveway. You may maintain the deranged look. Somebody standing there should know where you're going, though, so file a flight plan.

On trail think while operating your vehicle and you can and will often avoid misfortune. When something does happen, and it will, you keep using your brain to move the situation forward. Ingenuity will allow you to jam these three -no maybe that one too- four pieces together, so you will no longer want for the one thing you forgot, and you will have learned somewhere that common ivory soap can be used to patch a gas tank.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:51 AM

leave the hi-lift at home unless youre absolutely certain you know exactly how youll use it on your vehicle to un-stick yourself, which may mean bringing a chain if you need to use the hi-lift as an impromptu winch (sorry, i dont have the hi-lift winching page link anymore, but i printed it out a while back).

youre better off bringing a few 2x6s or some sort of traction aid than the hi-lift...and dont forget a folding shovel. five bucks from cheaperthandirt.com.

i got a set of kickass sand/bridging ladders from collin at american grating (california), 200 bucks for a set of 1'x5'x2" mats and a set of 1.5'x2'x2" mats. they fit perfect across the bed like a second tailgate, i can lash the gas cans to them, and they got two seriously stuck tundras out of some deep sand in about ten minutes. i wish i'd got them sooner, every time ive been stuck previously those ladders wouldve got me unstuck in a few minutes rather than a few hours.

if you get ladders, get them line-xed or something, rocks and fibreglass mix like pig and elephant dna.

a camelbak can be a literal lifesaver. always take enough water to hike out if youre stuck, or to stay hydrated if youre waiting with your girl to be rescued .

that alaska list is so long you may as well bring a second truck in the bed of your first truck, to use for parts. identify the things youll realistically be able to use to repair your vehicle, know when to give up and come back later, and NEVER GO WITHOUT ANOTHER VEHICLE. for example, it's useless to bring a spare timing belt or even the tools to change it, if you dont have the knowledge to do it yourself. likewise, it's dubious to bring a spare tire if you dont have a jack that'll get the truck off the ground, or tools to break the lug nuts loose--dunno bout you guys, but the stock tundra jack is borderline hopeless--so it's critical that you give everything a "test run" before you hit the trail. youll identify the things you need and the things you can leave in the garage (dont bring the floor jack, but a jack stand might be a lifesaver!).

example: you have a 1-man brake bleeder and extra fluid plus hand tools, and suddenly lose the brakes. you find a hole in one of the lines...did you bring extra lines, maybe a sealant of some sort? make sure your safety preparations are consistent with the trouble you think youre preparing for. crawler's list made me think of that...he might have it, but if you go off just what we tell you here, you might find you forgot spare brake line or jb weld or something and then wonder if we just got our f-buddy to put her finger on the line when we hit the brakes .

-sean

*edit* crawler, i think jb weld actually makes something like that...seals holes in a gas tank w/o prep...saw that on their page the other day while looking for some hi-temp goop.

Last edited by DevinSixtySeven; 08-19-2004 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:20 PM
Contributing Member

Please search YotaTech and Google, there are tons of lists out there.

For the first few trips, travel with experienced folks and youll quickly learn whats good and better to take out there.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:24 PM

My plan for a bad brake line is kinda crude, but effective to get ya home: fold and flatten till it don't leak - three wheel brakes are better than none.

I carry the brake fluid and bleeder because we had to pull a rear axle shaft out of a housing (thought it was busted)but we didn't have fluid to refill after finding out it was lincoln locker failure. Also, in the case of a major 3rd member failure, I could swap front to rear to get home........that'd be a MAJOR trail fix tho.