Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locker Options - 2nd gen 4rnr

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Locker Options - 2nd gen 4rnr

Well I have a 92 4runner and it's about time to think about getting some lockers. However, I am poor, so I'd like to evaluate my options.

What are the advantages of selectable/full time lockers over limited slip differentials? I had an Auburn posi unit on my mustang and it would never let one wheel go, but I realize that driving on the street and on the rocks are two completely different things. Can a LSD be counted on to keep traction on rocks? Also, is limited slip suitable for the front diff? Is the main disadvantage of an LSD that it is uncontrollable when it will lock and when it won't?

LOCKER TIME YA
Old 11-15-2005, 10:39 PM
Contributing Member

If you can grasp the concept of a torque converter, then the LSD will be easy for you to understand...works the same way. Viscious fluid transfers motion, but lets assume that one of your wheels gets SERIOUSLY stuck where it can't move (between rocks), then that's one of the situations where a locker would come in better handy, because it mechanically locks both wheels to give you equal power to both wheels. In all other situations, an LSD will do fine, even if not as good as a locker.

Anyways, in your situation I would go for a "Detroit Locker". Search that pharse with the "search" function to get more info about it.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:50 PM

how much do you want to spend? if you can afford it, go ARB. that way you can simply turn them off and on when you need/want to. only problem is... what if something like the compressor or an air line fails you? fully automatic lockers (i.e. Detroit, Aussie, Lock-Right, etc.) are just that: always on. now, they aren't spools, but you do get some twitchy road handling every once in a while. the lunchbox type of locker (i.e. Aussie, Lock-Right) is a little harsher, and much cheaper than a full carrier-type locker (i.e. Detroit). it's all up to you and your wallet. limited slips do not come close to lockers when it comes to off-road traction.

Last edited by 4RunnerKid; 11-15-2005 at 10:53 PM.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:30 AM

Limited slips are better than nothing.... but if you're serious about wheeling lockers are the only way to to. The only lockers I've personally used have been "lunchbox lockers" like the Lock Right or Detroit EZ.

If I was made of money I'd definitely put a E-locker in the back and an ARB up front. An E-locker out back will let you run an open diff on the pavement, and you can lock it up on the trail. If part of the control mechanism fails you can manually engage it so you're not stuck with an open rear in the middle of nowhere. The E-locker's main disadvantage is that it can be slow to lock/unlock. Now I'm not a very patient person... so I'd want an ARB up front so I can instantly lock and unlock the front axle for turning. Out back I wouldn't need that capability because the rear locker never seems to affect maneuverability too much and I'd probably just leave it locked the entire time.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
spool locks both tires together and they always spin at the same rate, all the time, no exceptions.

a locker (weather lunchbox, detrot etc) will allow one tire to spin faster than the other, but not slower (the outside wheel is allowed to spin faster in a turn)

selectable, (ox, toyota elocker, ARB) work as open diffs when unlocked, and a spool when locked.

limited slip usually uses clutches to create friction and help spin the tire with more traction/weight on it.

Cheepest option is a stock open diff that is welded (lincon locker) which then acts like a spool.

after that look for a centersection some one as taken out of there truck that already has a locker in it. usually a better deal then if you buy a locker and have it installed.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:29 AM

Well I run lock-rites front and rear and like it was said above they are little twitchy and at first you might be worried about some of the noises and jerks but after awhile you get used to it all and can more or less avoid all of these issues with throttle control. I have wheeled with them once and really put them to the test and they didn't fail on me so for the money considering they are probably your cheapest option besides welding the differential, they are the best route.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:32 PM

I had a Detroit TruTrack (LSD) in the front of my Jeep, and a LockRight in the back. If you've got the $$ an ARB would be great for the front. I'd still want a lunchbox or full carrier locker in the back, just because I'd worry about the air lines or comopressor failing with the ARB and getting stuck without a rear locker.

The handling takes a little getting used to, but it's not bad at all. The LockRight (and probably the other ones, but I'm not positive) unlock when there's no power being applied to the diff (off-throttle). Just be aware that hitting the skinny pedal through a turn, with a locker, will cause you to oversteer easier than without one.

Now, a spool on the street is just Not fun at all. Since the wheels always turn at the same speed, you'll be scrubbing tires around every turn.