Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you lock a spare tire to a roof basket?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you lock a spare tire to a roof basket?

I am wondering if anyone knows of a device which locks a space tire to a roof basket like the thule moab without having to use a bike lock. It seems like there is something better than this out there. Anybody happen to know of it?
Old 03-28-2008, 05:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
small chain and padlock?
Old 03-28-2008, 06:12 PM

yakima actually makes a device that can somehow goes on and bolts it in... go check their website
Old 03-28-2008, 06:27 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
small steel cable + key master lock works wonders. its so simple
Old 03-31-2008, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by drguitarum2005
small steel cable + key master lock works wonders. its so simple
Yep!
Old 03-31-2008, 06:55 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
if you are adverse to a bike type locking system (easiest/cheapest) than it would really depend on what make of rack you have. See you local fabricator...
Old 03-31-2008, 12:03 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Really? Are you THAT concerned that somebody is going to climb up on the rack and lift down a heavy wheel/tire?

x whatever for a cable/padlock - with the cable somewhere that a thief could see it
Old 04-01-2008, 02:01 PM

Go to Google Images and search Yakima spare tire carrier, one of the pictures makes it look like you could easily adapt it to the M.O.A.B. and you can lock it with a small padlock.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:12 PM

Wouldnt it make your rig more top heavy thus leading to more of a chance of flopping?
Old 04-03-2008, 01:59 PM

$3 is all you need!

that was a 32" fullsize spare on steel rim.

i bought 3 lashing straps from harborfreight for $1 each, one on driver side, one on passenger side, one in the back.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=40063

Last edited by TC4RNR; 04-03-2008 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tc
with the cable somewhere that a thief could see it
I would try to hide it. If the thief can see the cable before he climbs up to steal the tire, he can go get what he needs to cut it ahead of time. That reduces his time at the crime scene, which is what a thief wants.

If he doesn't see the cable first, he might think it's an easy theft and might go unprepared, which takes more time. Or he might make more noise trying to cut it with what he has at hand.

Anything you can do to make the thief take more time and make things more difficult for him increases his chance of being caught, or it could just make him give up altogether.

I agree a cable with a nice thick padlock is the way. A cable is harder to cut than a chain, and you can position the lock where the shackle is hard to access with cutters.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:40 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Or you could piss him off and be out a $427.19 rear cargo area window instead of a $150 rim/tire ... Let him see it and move on to somwhere else. If he's committed enough to taking the tire for your scenario to play out, he's getting it no matter what you do.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:43 PM

I've had a situation like what I was talking about happen to me.

I had my first ATV stolen from where it was parked out in front of the apartment I lived in at the time. I had nowhere else to store it, so I sunk an anchor in the concrete and locked it with a good size lock and cable.

Early one Saturday morning, I walked outside and it was gone. The cable had been cut, but the lock (which was hard to get to) was intact.

After filing a report with the sheriff's office, a detective contacted me. He told me that it was mostly teenagers doing the stealing around there, and instructed me to make friends with those that lived near me, and that they would be more likely to tell me instead of him if they had heard anything about the theft.

Sure enough, one kid I questioned had heard another one bragging about the theft. When I (and later the detective) questioned the kid that gave me the information, the thief had bragged that he knew what to bring with him to steal my ATV with, because he had seen the cable securing it.

Of course, the thief denied it all, and my ATV was long gone (probably parted out or sold in Georgia). The thief was well known to the detective, but without evidence or a confession, there was nothing he could do about it.

After that, I was talking to the detective about all of it, and the detective said that in certain situations it is advisable to keep the methods of securing items hidden for the exact same reasons I stated in my last post. Not only that, but the thief had supposedly said that he had seen the cable and knew what to bring.

Had the theft taken longer, I might could have been awaken, and could have walked outside with my shotgun. A loud blast fired into the air would have certainly scared them off.

So yes, what I said does make sense.

And if a determined thief is going to steal something no matter what I do, then why should I bother securing it at all?

There's no sure method that will work in every situation. But I'm certainly going to try as hard as I can to secure my stuff regardless.

Last edited by William; 04-04-2008 at 01:50 PM.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:18 PM
tc
Contributing Member

First, you're talking about a couple thousand dollar ATV versus a couple hundred dollar tire.

Second, I don't know how to say it ... you deserved it. Leaving something that valuable locked with just a cable? Essentially out on the street where anyone and everyone could see? The thief would have eventually seen the cable, and come back with the right tools.

Lastly, the reason you secure it is so that something ELSE looks more attractive. I don't care how you lock it, if a true professional thief wants it, it's gone. The best you can hope is that it looks like too much trouble COMPARED TO SOMETHING ELSE and they go steal the something else. Kinda like I don't have to outrun the bear, I only have to outrun you.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by tc
you're talking about a couple thousand dollar ATV versus a couple hundred dollar tire.

you deserved it.
What's the price have to do with it? If someone wants to steal something for whatever reason, they will justify trying to get it.

I deserved it?

First, I was much younger back then and didn't know any better, and you must have missed the part where I said that I had no better place to keep it. I'm sure quite a few here have made similar mistakes before, and don't act like you are any more perfect than I am.

I certainly learned from the experience. That's why my second ATV was locked with 2 cables and a very large chain. It was also protected by a small battery powered motion sensing alarm attached with velcro to the side that was hidden from view, had a tarp over it, and it also was protected by a motion detecting light. Plus, I insured it.

I had that ATV 3 times as long before I finally sold it, and foiled at least one theft attempt because the idiot that tried to take it didn't see the motion alarm that was hidden where he couldn't see it.

Second, saying I deserved it is placing the blame on someone besides the thief. The thief did the deed, not me. The only thing I did was that I underestimated what it would take to secure the ATV, and underestimated how many thieves were in the area. According to the detective, there were quite a few.

That's like saying that someone that leaves a tire secured to the roof of an SUV in plain view with only a cable deserves for that tire to be stolen.

Regardless, there are many methods for securing something. Looks like I shouldn't have suggested anything.

Last edited by William; 04-04-2008 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:50 PM
tc
Contributing Member

I said I didn't know how to say it ... NOBODY deserves to get their shizzy stolen, but you didn't do a whole lot to prevent it in that case. You aobviously learned your lesson and did a much better job the second time, although you can see that even it wasn't all that great because at least one other person attempted it again.

My point is that theives can get around just about ANY way you secure something. Liquid nitrogen will take care of just about any lock. Lock it to a roof basket and they'll just rip the whole damn thing off the roof. All you can do is make it appear to not be worth their while and have them go on to somebody else's stuff. Having the lock/cable in view takes care of that.