Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruiser Coils?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Cruiser Coils?

Hey guys & gals, I was thinking about lifting up my '93's saggy rear end, and was wondering how to go about it. I know several options that I could go with but I would like some opinions on which route to take. I will be doing the install myself and I *think* I can get my hands on a spring compressor. Well at least I hope so. So the one's that I know about are...
1) Cruiser Coils --> what year of Land Crusier? Just strait swap?
2) Old Man Emu --> Heard Very good things bout them, H.D. or Med?
3) OEM coils with spacer --> Daystar, Cornfed, .... etc.

Iam Big on the 4 wheeling so if it does make the on-road capibilities (worse or harder) for the ride, well Iam young, I can take the bumps.
So yeah... Any opinions or comments would be very cool, and Insall difficulty too.
Cheers Lee Hathaway.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, it depends on how big you want to go and how much money you want to spend. If you just want to get rid of the sag then just get downey HD coils or the OMEs (don't know which one) and be done with it.

But if you want more than 2" of lift then you're going to spend a lot more money. Cruiser coils are going to give much more lift than 2" so you'll need to get longer shocks a panhard drop bracket, longer brake lines and a LSVP bracket. You'll also have to even out the front so that means either crank the tbars or get BJ spacers and then get an alignment and install manual hubs.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:29 PM
Contributing Member

I just replaced my Landcruiser suspension with an OME setup. I'll sell you my used LC coils if you want them.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you don't plan to lift the front 1.5" then use Downey coil. If you can, get the 1.5" ball joint spacer then use stock FJ80 coils.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by 4Runner 4Play
Hey guys & gals, I was thinking about lifting up my '93's saggy rear end, and was wondering how to go about it. I know several options that I could go with but I would like some opinions on which route to take. I will be doing the install myself and I *think* I can get my hands on a spring compressor. Well at least I hope so. So the one's that I know about are...

Iam Big on the 4 wheeling so if it does make the on-road capibilities (worse or harder) for the ride, well Iam young, I can take the bumps.
So yeah... Any opinions or comments would be very cool, and Insall difficulty too.
Cheers Lee Hathaway.
I put the 2" Downey coils in my rig. I would go with the HD, because the med ones from Downey have sag to them also.

Very easy to install, it took me a couple of hours with many smoke breaks to complete. Also you don't need a spring compressor, once you remove the suspension components it should just fall right out.

I would recommend spraying all the bolts with liquid wrench or something else like it a day before hand.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:05 AM

The guys above covered it perfectly. Just a few comments.

Love the Cruiser Coils.

Very big improvement off road with:
- Better articulation
- Gas Tank takes less abuse
- Room for bigger tires

I actually like the ride on road much better than my aging OEM springs. Haven’t seen a performance penalty yet but I did go wider with higher offset rims.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:51 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by 4Runner 4Play

Cheers Lee Hathaway.

I went with the OME HD springs and shocks. I also used the 1.5 bj spacer. Just a little crank on the t-bars and you should be good to go for light to med. off roading. The guys above all have great suggestions and they steered me to the bj spacer. At this point it is more personal choice. Each has it's pro's and cons. Good luck.