Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CO2 Tech

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 02:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CO2 Tech

Just thought I would share some actual experience on the matter rather than conjecture.

In Moab, I went to shoot some air back in my tires on the first day since I aired down a little too much. When I cracked the valve on the tank, there was no hiss and the guages were stationary. Somehow the darn thing was empty. This is doubly annoying since it was a full tank and I really needed it, but now it was empty.

Today I got the tank refilled. The guys mentioned the safety valve had indeed burst which is why I found the tank empty. It got replaced and is now fine.

Suprisingly, the dispersal of 15 pounds of CO2 in the truck caused not real issues, but was a bother to not have gas to air back up.
Old 10-21-2004, 02:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sometimes the gasket on the hose/nozzle will fall out without you realizing it also.
Old 10-21-2004, 03:42 PM

True, but when the valve is left shut and the tank is found empty with an exploded pressure cap, the hose seal is pretty irrelevant.

Leaving the regulator pressurized with hoses attached is foolish and a good way to blow out the diaphragms in the regulator.
Old 10-23-2004, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
Just thought I would share some actual experience on the matter rather than conjecture.

In Moab, I went to shoot some air back in my tires on the first day since I aired down a little too much. When I cracked the valve on the tank, there was no hiss and the guages were stationary. Somehow the darn thing was empty. This is doubly annoying since it was a full tank and I really needed it, but now it was empty.

Today I got the tank refilled. The guys mentioned the safety valve had indeed burst which is why I found the tank empty. It got replaced and is now fine.

Suprisingly, the dispersal of 15 pounds of CO2 in the truck caused not real issues, but was a bother to not have gas to air back up.
did it perhaps get too hot sitting in the back of your car in the desert?
Old 10-23-2004, 08:32 PM

In the desert? It was in Wisconsin until three days before Moab. Then it was in Colorado where it was not hot.

It sat all last summer with untinted windows in the heat and elevation of New Mexico without issue.
Old 10-24-2004, 08:47 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What is your opinion of CO2 now? Like it or leave it?
Old 10-24-2004, 11:24 AM

Love it for sure.

Mine has run air tools, filled tires and pumped a keg. I am in it for 3 bills plus 20ish per fill. It is going to take 3 or 4 years to make the cost match a good compressor.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
Love it for sure.

Mine has run air tools, filled tires and pumped a keg. I am in it for 3 bills plus 20ish per fill. It is going to take 3 or 4 years to make the cost match a good compressor.

im in mine for around $200, including, 2 regulators (1 0-300 psi. 1 0-60 psi for kegs) hoses, bracket, and keg equipment

Old 10-26-2004, 01:20 PM
ish

so how do you guys like using straight c02 in the tires opposed to air? any issues or concerns? i know nitrogen is becoming a popular replacement to air in tires.

i am currently looking at my options to using a something like c02 instead of a cheap compressor.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:46 PM

ish-

I've had both systems-

Similar sized tanks, I didn't even have to change out the tank mounts when switching over, but a huge difference in volume. CO2 is a compressed liquid, Nitrogen is a compressed gas. Unless you plan on using nitrogen charged shocks, I seen no practical reason to use Nitrogen as a tire gas.

A full cylinder of Nitrogen only aired up 8 tires at a cost of $2.00 per tire. A 20LB cylinder of CO2 airs up over 30 at about $0.50 per tire. It's faster than almost any compressor too. My regulator is set at 150 PSI, so it takes me less time to air up than at most gas stations...

As a side note, CO2 is stored at about 900 PSI, Nitrogen at 1800 to 2300 PSI. The Nitrogen tank is a potential bomb vs. CO2 which has to boil off from a liquid state (just like it did inside Flygtenstein's rig)

The only draw back to CO2 is that it gets very cold as it changes states. A cheap regulator will freeze up.

Some people have been concerned about the formation of a week carbolic acid in the tires due to the water/CO2 interaction. I've seen no problems after using CO2 for 3 years.

CO2 Cost vs. Compressor-

Compressor is a one time charge- so you can say the first tire you air up is really spendy, and after that they are free. CO2 has a re-occuring cost associated with either having your tank refilled, or swapping tanks like I do. I "bought" my first tank for $120.00, and just rotate in a refill from my local welding shop for $18.99 + tax. The cost of my regulator was $140.00 or so. I expect I've more than paid for a QuikAir by now, but I like the speed of the CO2.

The other consideration for using CO2 is that my tanks do double duty as my MIG welder gas supply. I have a regulator in the truck , and one with my welder. The volume required for a welder is much lower than for tires- I keep the welder at about 35 PSI since I seem to weld outdoors in the wind most of the time...

later
Old 10-26-2004, 03:15 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
As some know by my 4sale post a month ago, I sold my 10 lb Power Tank for financial reasons.

I do plan on buying another 10 lb tank in the future.
Never had any problems with it sitting in the back of my rig, even during hot summer months.

I ran air tools with it, and exclusively filled my tires with it for several years with no ill effects.

Nothing can beat the speed of 150 PSI for airing back up.
For sure I will buy another when the time is right.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:26 PM

i got the outbackair static 150psi regulator for $55 and then my local welding shop had the tank for $107 filled. i made my own handle out of a 1.5" muffler clamp and some 3/8" rod that i bent.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:01 AM
ish

Originally Posted by crawler#976

A 20LB cylinder of CO2 airs up over 30 at about $0.50 per tire. It's faster than almost any compressor too. My regulator is set at 150 PSI, so it takes me less time to air up than at most gas stations...
thats actually what i was interested in. i was curious how long the tank would last between refills and you answered it. thanks. i like how it can also be used to power air tools. i think i will look into this more and get myself a system, sounds worth it.

thanks guys, very informative

Last edited by ish; 10-27-2004 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-06-2004, 05:36 PM

Hey Corey, I recently bought a 20lb CO2 cylinder on Ebay for like $70.xx but I still have my PT-10 and regulator. I am going to use the larger cylinder (ex fire extinguisher) for my 87 trail rig since it has way more needy tires than my 94 (38.5"x14.5"x15" vs 31"x12.5"x15") and just swap the regulator to whatever rig I will be driving. As much as you liked your powertank, there are better and more cost effective alternatives to Steve Sasaki's products!
Old 11-08-2004, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by seafarinman
Hey Corey, I recently bought a 20lb CO2 cylinder on Ebay for like $70.xx...
cool! great price!

Check the tank certification date. Most company's will require the tank to have a current cert to refill it. I'm not sure what is required to get a tank recertified...
Old 11-10-2004, 08:30 PM

The company that I got my second 20lb tank from had it hydro tested and recertified as well as repainted and relabelled (with the non-flammable gas) before they shipped it to me. I ordered a Powertank Mondo bracket and their aluminum handle for it as well since I like my actual Powertank PT-10 setup. I took it into the shop that I use to fill my Powertank that they only charged me for 15lbs instead of 20. so that was a pleasant surprise. I only need to mount it in the bed of the 87 now since the PT-10 stays in the 94.