Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken leafsprings, and suspension lift advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broken leafsprings, and suspension lift advice

Hey,
My truck is a 1997 Tacoma 4x4, regular cab. Today I noticed that one of my leafsprings is broken in half. This is the second time this has happened. I would like to replace the suspension, and add a lift as well. (I can tell the suspension is worn out) Right now I run 32x11.5x15 all terrains, I would like to run 35's. Where should I look for a good suspension update that will lift me up a bit, and be on budget. (I am a broke college student)
Id say the budget is around $1,000- $1,500 and hopefully I can do the work myself. Does anybody have any suggestions, pictures, advice?

Thanks,

Paul
Old 11-15-2008, 02:08 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You are going to be hard pressed to run 35's on your budget. Hell, the tires alone run that much! Why do you think you need 35's? Do you 'wheel a lot?

To fit 35's on a Tacoma, you need a bracket lift, like the Fabtech - there are others too. Prices seem to run about $2,000 ... which brings up the last point ...

For what it's going to cost to put 35's on your IFS, you need to consider 2 things:
- MOST trails can be run on 33's
- $2000 is a helluva chunk out of the $3000 it would take to SAS it.

Check out Craigslist, you never know what you'll find ... probably bracket lifts from people who wish they had just SAS'd to start.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:03 PM

I only meant the suspension work as part of the budget. Not sure how much the work even goes for, or where to look for parts or somebody to do the work.

I can run my 32's for now, I assume a 3 inch suspension lift would not be enough to clear 35s? If not 33s will work just fine, I don't off road anywhere serious or too often anyway.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:06 PM

BTW, what I would really like is a good suspension setup for on road as well as off road use. I am not so much into jacking the truck up as high as I can, just a effective suspension. I guess something more "trail" friendly, then mud friendly.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:12 AM
tc
Contributing Member

The stock suspension meets those needs perfectly
Old 11-19-2008, 12:07 PM

My stock setup is worn out and broken. I would like a lift..
Old 11-19-2008, 01:18 PM
tc
Contributing Member

So, then your criteria are not just "I am not so much into jacking the truck up as high as I can, just a effective suspension. I guess something more "trail" friendly, then mud friendly."

The cheapest way to get 35's under there (since you seem dedicated to havng a rig taller than it needs to be) is a combination of a spacer lift (Revtek, Cornfed, Toytec, etc), blocks, and a body lift. The body roll control and ride is going to be horrible, the suspension will not flex properly, the front will poop out balljoints like it just had an all-you-can-eat Mexican buffet, and the blocks will dearch and/or break the rear leaves.

But hey, you'll look cool at the mall on your 35's!

Seriously - lift is overrated. It brings little but trouble. Why do you think all the hardcore wheeler guys work so hard to keep their junk low? Because it works better that way!
Old 11-19-2008, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by tc
So, then your criteria are not just "I am not so much into jacking the truck up as high as I can, just a effective suspension. I guess something more "trail" friendly, then mud friendly."

The cheapest way to get 35's under there (since you seem dedicated to havng a rig taller than it needs to be) is a combination of a spacer lift (Revtek, Cornfed, Toytec, etc), blocks, and a body lift. The body roll control and ride is going to be horrible, the suspension will not flex properly, the front will poop out balljoints like it just had an all-you-can-eat Mexican buffet, and the blocks will dearch and/or break the rear leaves.

But hey, you'll look cool at the mall on your 35's!

Seriously - lift is overrated. It brings little but trouble. Why do you think all the hardcore wheeler guys work so hard to keep their junk low? Because it works better that way!
Leave it to tc to put things in perspective. ReturnoftheR, you'll notice somewhere in tc's sig line it says "no lift."

The most popular suspension that actually replaces springs is probably the an Old Man Emu (OME). It won't give you room for 35's, so you'll probably have to do something else. Most guys with tacos and 4runners in that generation will stop at 33's because of steering and drivetrain volatility with bigger tires. If you're only crawling over speed bumps, do a body lift along with suspension and you probably won't break anything with 35's. To answer one question, 3" and some hammering should clear 33" tires no problem. Go here to get info about front end (taco & 4Runner are similar enough), and search around for rear lift options. Better yet, look here and click on as many different threads as you want to see what others have done to their trucks. That will help you narrow down what you want to do.
Good luck!