Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 inch trailmaster lift kit for 87 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 4 inch trailmaster lift kit for 87 4runner

so i bought seth's (deathrunner) lift kit the other day and i'm getting ready to put it on. i just have a few questions on other things i'm going to need to modify. i know i'm going to need extended brake lines. all pro has some for like 80 something dollars but that seems like kind of alot of money just for brake lines. any other ideas on where i could find some or what else might work?

also, as far as steering geometry goes seth mentioned the spindle adapters have a new location for the tierod ends and i will need to remove the stock steering knuckles because the spindle adapter attaches to those points and acts as the new steering knuckles. does this mean my steering geometry will be fine after installing the lift? this will be the first time i've ever touched my ifs, minus cranking and uncranking of torsion bars. i want to make sure i have everything i need before i get started.

i've also heard about a brace some companies add to the rear of the front kit. is this necessary? according to seth he says if you bash them too hard they can bend the stock mounting points back. i do more crawly type stuff and lots of mudding. when the terrain gets real bumpy, i drive alot slower. the only way i could imagine maybe taking a real hard hit on my truck is if i was mudding and i hit some rock/rut/bump that i couldn't see underneath all the goo. i tend to drive a little faster in muddy areas.

is there ANYTHING else i will need before attempting to lift my truck? i am a newbie at this and i want to make sure everything will work. once again it is a trailmaster 4 inch front kit with bilstein 5100 shocks. the rear has skyjacker 4 inch springs also with bilstein 5100 shocks. any input would be greatly appreciated. this is the first lift i have ever taken on and i just want to make sure i do it right! thanks guys!
Old 12-08-2004, 05:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get any and all braces you can.

As for brake lines, that is kind of a lot of money, but brakes are kind of a huge deal for the safety of you and others. You can link two stockers together, but I personally would spend the dime on new lines.

The reason those bend stock parts is because they lengthen the torque arm to the part. Stock suspensions make more sense to me.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
You can link two stockers together, but I personally would spend the dime on new lines.
You know, I'm running two lines but I wouldn't recommend it. The brakes are a lot softer and I can almost push the pedal all the way to the floor. Also, the two linked together are too long and it's difficult to support the lines so they don't rub on anything. I've got a flat spot on one of the lines from it rubbing the panhard bar for the past 2 years.

The SS line from marlin is on it's way now.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:29 PM

are the braces really that critcal? right now i want to just focus on getting the lift on my truck. if the braces aren't that critical for street driving and mild wheeling, i can take it easy on my rig until i get some braces on there. once i do get some braces on there, will it be able to handle a significant amount of abuse? i really don't run my truck that hard. it's going to be more of a crawler, but there's always that hole/rut/bump you didn't see and end up hitting it real hard.

so linking two stock lines is out of the question. about the extended brake lines from all pro... do those lines attach to the end of the stock lines or are they completly new brake lines? what would be the best route to take for extending my brake lines to accomodate for the additional 4 inches of lift?

i still need answers for my questions about steering geometry and ANYTHING else i need to make this lift work the way it's supposed to! i could be wrong, but my instincts tell me there has to be more to it than extended brake lines and steering geometry. but my instincts could be wrong. thank you guys for the help!
Old 12-09-2004, 04:09 PM

On the brake lines, you could also check locally for a shop that makes custom hoses. Here in the Phoenix area I've driven by some places that just do hoses and some parts shops that have a sign advertising hoses "made to order". In the past I had always just associated that with A/C hoses, but I guess brakes could be done too. Might not be any cheaper though, I've never had a need to check into them myself. Just a thought for another option.

Mike
Old 12-09-2004, 04:24 PM

Oh yeah, if the brace your talking about is like this one, I would spend the $50 and get it. BTW I've heard the one from NWOR is a problem to install.

I can't seem to make this link specific to the part. Click Miscellaneous Suspension then scroll down to the 4th part.

http://www.downeyoff-road.com/Suspen...ents/index.htm
Old 12-09-2004, 04:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How about the rear? Did you get the panhard bracket and the LSVP bracket?
Old 12-09-2004, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Robinhood150
How about the rear? Did you get the panhard bracket and the LSVP bracket?
are you talking about the rear suspension or the rear of the front kit? i'm almost positive i have all the parts for the kit. i just need answers on what else i need to install with the kit. i also don't have any names of the parts to the kit i have. i bought it used from seth and i just have all the parts laying in a bucket in my garage. hahaha.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:31 AM

Hey Alan,

I think Robinhood150 is talking about the rear of a 2nd Gen. With the coils. You have springs so no worries. All you would need there is a brake proportioning valve extension and I remember seeing one already on yours. It was brass looking if I remember correctly. If you need a longer one they are super easy to make. Basically all that does is change the braking characteristics depending on the load you are carrying. I have even seen some people remove these. So as far as your rear end goes. You have everything.

As for the front. Yes, your steering geometry will be fine. The spindle adapter/knuckle is designed with all this in mind. As for the brace on downey's website, that is already included in the kit. (remember that bracket holding the two end brackets together? that's it!!)

You will need extended brake lines for sure. I'll look for some for you on the net.

As for the brace, it is not necessary, but a good idea. The kit was on my truck for probably 10 years (who knows) and I didn't beat it hard so nothing was bent out of place. You should be fine. But, since your a young guy (and I saw what you did to your truck already Just kidding man) I thought the brace might be a good idea. You could probably even get a welder friend to make the brace for you. But it isn't necessary. Especially if you don't bash it. You were talking about a solid axle swap in the future, who cares if you bend stuff anyway, it's all getting torn off.

I found some photos on car domain of Procomp's lift kit for our trucks. You can see it is nearly identical. Except for two things.

1. The bumpstop extensions are tied into the a arm brackets as seen in the first photo. This is solved by welding the trailmaster bumpstop extensions (as I did). Really not a big deal if you don't.

2. Procomp includes a brace to connect the rear of the the kit to the frame, making a triangular truss. All it is is one bar from each side bolting the rear a arm bracket to the frame. Bolts are weak so I would weld a similar truss. The brace can be seen in photo 3 and 4

Photo 2 is a layout of the kit's parts, you can see that you have all the parts except the brace arms and your bumpstop extensions are seperate.

Here's the link:

http://photobucket.com/albums/v373/D...ocomp%20Brace/
Tons of guys run Trailmaster and other kits without these braces without problem. It was just a suggestion. Procomp, trailmaster, skyjacker, black diamond, and possibly other companies make very similar kits to these.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:38 AM

http://www.skyjacker.com/products-se...rtnumber=FBL30

here is a link to skyjacker's extended brake line

and here is a link for them for 40.00 on rocky mountain.com

http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/W_brakes_Toy.htm

oh yeah and here is a lift to a Superlift kit. Very similar except they welde the braces to the a arm brackets.

http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/toyota4_86_96.htm

oh yeah, sorry for the super long posts. I just know how frustrating it is when you want info. Hope it answers some questions.

-Seth
Old 12-16-2004, 09:40 AM

Alan, just checkin to see how it's goin
Old 12-16-2004, 06:58 PM

well, the lift kit is still sitting in my garage. i need to buy some extended brakelines still and that might have to wait until after christmas. after buying that lift kit i just about went broke and what i have left i need to use to buy christmas presents! i also might check a couple shops and see how much they'd charge for the install. i was talking to cory (a member on here) and i forget exactly what he said (i was kinda buzzed at the time) but he said while i'm down there, i might as well replace the tie rod ends, upper and lower ball joints(the upper which have alreadybeen replaced in this case) and some other stuff but i don't remember exactly. anyway, i'm still hunting down as much info as i can and i'm thinking about calling up trailmaster and see if they have an installation guide available. i'll keep you updated, seth. as soon as i get this baby on we should go wheelin!
Old 12-16-2004, 10:23 PM

Wheelin we will go. I would definitely change your tie rod ends while you are there and maybe throw on some sway bar disconnects.As you mentioned There are some fairly new Upper Bjs on the spindle adapter already. I'm not sure if the lowers are the same as the top or not, but if they are I would take the better set of the ones you have now and put them there. Lowers are the more common break from what I have seen. If your CV Boots are torn, that would also be a good time to replace them since they'll be off.

Take it easy, you know where to find me.

Oh yeah, I checked out your website. Cool tunes, but what the heck is Moromonpalooza???? HAHAHAHA LMAO
Old 12-17-2004, 04:06 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
deathruner, how much different is that trailmaster from a procomp kit?
Old 12-17-2004, 07:42 AM

Percentage wise....7 percent.

Just kidding.

The only differences between the procomp stage 2 and the trailkmaster kit is that the procomp kit has the bumpstop extensions attached to the A arm brackets. And they include braces between the Aarm brackets and the trucks frame.

The first difference that I mention is minor to me, because you can simply weld the extensions on to improve the Trailmaster kit. The latter difference is more important, but I think it could be easily fabbed up and even moreso improved over procomps design.

If I were to design a bracket kit like these, I would start with brackets like Superlift has designed. The A-Arms brackets are connected to the cross braces so that the brackets won't spread apart when you bash them(causing bad alignment). Then I would attach the bumpstop extensions to these like Procomp. And I would add Procomps rear braces to it. Then I would include entire spindles, not just knucle relocators.

That would be the Ultimate Bracket Kit, but at that rate it would probably cost twice as much and no one would spend that much on a bracket kit. But then again, I don't manufacture lift kits, so it doesn't matter.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:46 AM
Contributing Member

my kit has braces between the a-arms and the frame. which direction though, my brackets go from the rear of the aframe to the front bolts of the t-case crossmember.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:58 AM

Yes, that means you have the stage 2 kit. Look at the link I posteed above to the pics I have of the kit. I circled these parts. Your bumpstop extensions are probably connected as well.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:28 PM
Contributing Member

alan, the other things i said you might wanna change while your there is the lower control arm bushings. they press in and out, so you'll need a vice and a guy named bubba, or a machine shop.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:29 PM

I'm opting for bubba.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:50 PM
Contributing Member

lol, i've used bubba before, he usually does good work. remind him to bring the sockets that match the size of the bushings, hes forgetful sometimes....

Quick Reply: 4 inch trailmaster lift kit for 87 4runner