99+ Tundra, 00+ Sequoia, 98+ Land Cruiser/LX470 Late model full size trucks and SUVs
Old 03-31-2016, 02:11 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Toyota Tundra Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

01 Tundra, maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 Tundra, maybe?

i ran across an Iron man tundra. its black on tan which i dont like tan. anyway it has 96,000 miles. v8 4x4. extra cab. What do you all think about the miles?

I guess im asking is do the tundras hold up as good as the toyota 6 cylinder and 4 cylinder trucks do. I have a supra trubo with 100K miles, HARD HARD life no problems as well as a 94 tuck with the 22RE, 218K miles before it broke.

So any sugestions
Old 08-18-2004, 02:26 PM

You shouldn't have any problems. It's a TOYOTA. Truth is, there aren't too many Tundra's around that have over 100K. But the few I've ran across on the internet haven't had any troubles.
But make sure that the timing belt has been replaced. Toyota recommends that this done every 90k miles.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Kerr
i ran across an Iron man tundra.
lol...you mean "ivan stewart" ?
Old 08-19-2004, 05:15 AM

yea i could not think of his name! its hard being a dumb ass..lol...
Old 08-19-2004, 11:30 AM
Contributing Member

You should be fine, just check out the usual things: tranny fluid, look for oil leaks, ask for maintenance records, etc.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:49 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SLC Punk
You should be fine, just check out the usual things: tranny fluid, look for oil leaks, ask for maintenance records, etc.
Yah SLC is right, just check the normal things out. 2000 Tundra's had a problem with a short dipstick, but again that's 2000, not '01. Tundra's in general have a O2 sensor problem with the older ones and Toyota has extended it's emissions warranty for that particular problem (got a letter in the mail stating such for my Tundra). Brakes was also another issue in that there where quite a few people that had brake out of round problems (commonly known as warpage). '02 is when they started rectifying the problem with a bigger caliper and disc. One of my teachers (who is a shop foreman at Toyota) looked at my Tundra's brakes one day and said that I have the bigger brakes upgrade already.

Other than that really I have had no problems with my Tundra (then again I only have 20K miles on it).
Old 09-17-2004, 07:08 AM

what's the year and price? if its for sale at ~90k, chances are theyre selling it so as to avoid the timing belt etc. change. add ~800$ to the purchase price and see if you still like it, that's how much itll cost to get the timing belt, water pump, thermostat, hoses, tensioners and all forward seals r&r'd. it's well worth the money, it's required every 90k, and once performed youre good to go. just had mine done, engine still runs like day one. you should be able to get several hundred thousand from the engine if you drive it gentle and take good care of it.

-sean
Old 09-19-2004, 06:50 AM
jjc

LOL.... Love that sig line Sean, "i have a sorta stock tundra with a few mods here and there..." . Yeah yours and mine are both sorta stock, other than the entire front and rear suspension, drivetrain, body, interior !
Old 10-18-2004, 07:55 AM

3.slow

Hello, SLOWYOTA

your just the guy to answer a couple questions, since you went in the direction I'm trying to go. First let me explain. I have a 1995 4Runner with a 3.slow and am looking into the purchase a Tundra 4x4 with the V8 , just wondering about the gas mileage and how the Tundra rides and handles, I really like my 4Runner but the 3.slow is well slow and a bit powerless

thanks
carl

Last edited by cimahar; 10-18-2004 at 07:56 AM.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by cimahar
Hello, SLOWYOTA

your just the guy to answer a couple questions, since you went in the direction I'm trying to go. First let me explain. I have a 1995 4Runner with a 3.slow and am looking into the purchase a Tundra 4x4 with the V8 , just wondering about the gas mileage and how the Tundra rides and handles, I really like my 4Runner but the 3.slow is well slow and a bit powerless

thanks
carl
Actually the gas mileage is better in the Tundra. In the 4runner I would average 14/16 mpg city/highway. In the Tundra I get 17/20 mpg city/highway (driving it gently. I set the cruise at 70). The Tundra rides better, but the handling in the 4runner was better (just because of the size difference). The only gripe I have with the Tundra is the interior. The fit and finish and the attention to detail was much better in the 4runner. There are a few rattles (dashboard & doorpanels) that I have to fix but other than that I'm EXTREMELY happy with my decision.
I too loved my 4runner. The day I got rid of it was a very sad day for me. In fact I still miss it. I just wish my 4runner would have had the V8. Than I would have never gotten rid of it. Good luck with your decision. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 10-19-2004, 03:44 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by slowyota
Actually the gas mileage is better in the Tundra. In the 4runner I would average 14/16 mpg city/highway. In the Tundra I get 17/20 mpg city/highway (driving it gently. I set the cruise at 70). The Tundra rides better, but the handling in the 4runner was better (just because of the size difference). The only gripe I have with the Tundra is the interior. The fit and finish and the attention to detail was much better in the 4runner. There are a few rattles (dashboard & doorpanels) that I have to fix but other than that I'm EXTREMELY happy with my decision.
I too loved my 4runner. The day I got rid of it was a very sad day for me. In fact I still miss it. I just wish my 4runner would have had the V8. Than I would have never gotten rid of it. Good luck with your decision. Let me know if you have any other questions.
I'm in the exact same boat, except mine was a 1990 4Runner. I love the power in the Tundra (though not as powerful as the big three), handles more like a luxury car (4Runner felt more like a truck and I liked that feeling ), and it's awfully quiet. I also love the increase in the gas mileage as I now get around 13-14 mpg average city and my 4Runner on a freakin good day, with no traffic will get 12 mpg city. Still I loved my old Runner, it was my first car and my time spent on it will never be forgotten
Old 10-19-2004, 04:14 PM
Contributing Member

I just traded my '04 Tundra AC 4x4 for my 2001 4Runner + some boot! Now that I think about it, I miss my Tundra!!
All except for the gas mileage (or lack there of)!
Old 10-21-2004, 06:54 AM

I have an 04 . . .

. . . AccessCab, 4X4 TRD, Tow, SR5, LSD, bought it last December, I've got 19,100 miles on it as I towed a 2 place sled trailer behind it every weekend last winter. Got between 12 and 14 mpg towing and get around 17.2 mpg commuting to work and driving around. I've been changing the oil every 5000 miles using the factory filter and Valvoline 5W-30, greasing the drivetrain and changing the diff. fluid, having the wheels rotated and balanced every 5000 mi. as well. This truck is AWESOME! it is fantastic in the snow, I have hauled all sorts of crap in the bed, dirtbikes, gone off-road which the ride was mint! Of course with such low miles, I haven't had one single issue yet and don't expect to. I put the Wet Okole seatcovers I had left over from my Tacoma and they fit just fine even though the Taco seats were a bit smaller, the covers stretched to fit. I'd recommend the Thundra however when the new version comes out, I hear in 07, I'll be all over that as I love the looks of the 05 Tacoma and we know that Yota will make the next version of the Thundra even better, better than any full-size out there. Thundra all the way!